1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

v1.52 Patch results

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by The Condor, Dec 23, 2005.

?

How did the new patch work for you?

1. The patch fixed all my problems and the game is now perfect!

95 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. It fixed some of my problems and the game is at least better.

140 vote(s)
    38.9%
  3. It might of fixed a few problems but for the most part nothing really changed.

45 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. The game is a little worse but not too bad.

15 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. The game is now utterly unplayable and I am plotting against Firaxis as we speak.

30 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. I plan on not downloading the new patch till I see if other people say it works or not.

35 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. The Condor

The Condor On an excellent adventure

You think that is bad with my aol it took me ten hours starting at 3A.M.:p.

2. Chopperhead

Chopperhead Prince

It didnt really improve my game much as It was laready working fine for me. I voted for that it fixed all my problems and the game runs flwalessly now although I did before but all the little things that have been added like marathon speed which is exactly what i wanted out of epic speed so i have that now the Civilopidia is much improved so all in all it's a good improvement over what it was not for performance wise but actuall game play features.

3. ZippyRiver

ZippyRiver Prince

Fantastic, so far. The game is a LOT faster, but then again I just got done with a large map under the old patch and it just might seem to faster because it's not late game. We will see. That being said,

1.52 ROCKS. map scrolling is a snap. turning the grid on does not take 5 min. Wonder movies still are hosed, but that no big deal. It loads faster.... MUCH faster. And I have been having all this wonderfull improvement with higher setting than what I HAD to use before.

4. TheVampire

TheVampire Chieftain

Slight improvement over 1.09 with hark patch. About only performance improvement noted is that loading save games is faster, wonder movies still bad as ever.

And as far as the reports that the 1.52 patch overwrites all of hark's patch stuff, I don't think this is true. When I started the game after installing the patch, I got a popup that says "Merry Christmas from Harkonnen!", so it couldn't have overwritten everything.

5. koldar

koldar Chieftain

I seem to be having many more problems now that I have patched. I am constantly having CTD's where with the 1.09 patch I was fine. Very strange. I think that I may try reinstalling and jumping straight to 1.52 if i can't find a better method for aviod a CTD every turn.

6. thamer

thamer Chieftain

If you are crashing with V152, set GenerateCrashDumps=1 in the config ini file and save out a normal sized crash dump. Then post it or send it to me thru this forum and I'll try to check it out and see what's going on. No guarantees but I might be able to get more info as to what's happening. Normally GenerateCrashDumps defaults to 0 since you want to send your error reports to Microsoft.

7. Flak

Flak vBülletin Förum

Well, I guess a Mod can change my vote. I did wait and a bit reluctanctly installed the patch last night. The game is definitely faster and using less memory. I wasn't having any problems with this before, but it has improved the game noticeably on startup. I'm going to test the end-game on a huge 18 civver later tonight. My wonder movies still stutter. I now have a very minor graphics glitch in that Cleopatra's skin looks a bit odd. Girl got ash. But the rest of the leaders seem totatlly unaffected.

I was barely keeping up before and as I feared, the AI doesn't seem to have any problems expanding at all with no hurt to their costs. I even went down to warlord on a huge pangea and they soon filled every niche with reckless abandon and still were able to pace me, and eventually pass me, on tech. I think I'm going to have to hack this change to play like 1.09 until I can keep up better with the AI, or atleast hold my own.

There was one other issue I was having in that if I ended a game, either by victory, defeat, or retirement on a huge map, and to some degree even on a large map, the game nearly died calculating the score and putting together the final presentation of stats. I will test this tonight. But this really wasn't that important to me.

Overall I'd say it improved a few things that really weren't problematic for me anyway (memory and speed), but did not fix the one thing that would basically make the game whole for me (the wonder movies), introduced a trivial graphics glitch when I was having no graphics glitches before, and changed some game balance aspects that for me have made the game much more frustrating (human player expansion costs) but that I believe I can mod myself anyway so not so big of a deal.

I think my vote should be changed to the third option (nothing really changed).

8. Varelse

Varelse Rabble Rouser

Everything seems to be running smoothly, I have some of the bug eyed effect on some of the leaderheads though. No biggie. I am going to hold off on playing any new post patch games until I figure out how to alter city mainenence costs though. They were already prohibitive, and increasing them will only make things worse in my opinion. Especially if the computer AI's get bonuses in this regard even at lower levels. It just won't be fun to have no means for early expansion while the AI opponents busy themselves filling up the rest of the map.

I almost didn't want to download the patch when I read that city maintenence costs were raised.

9. tinribs

tinribs Chieftain

I installed over the Hark patch. The only problem I've experienced has been that I can't load a game from a save file (which always worked before) - not too bothered by this but I may do a reinstall and patch from vanilla eventually.

Weird issue with quicksaves in that it is now prompting that the quicksave file already exists and wants an overwite confirmation - surely this can't be correct. Other than that no major problems...

Tinribs

10. The Condor

The Condor On an excellent adventure

Wow 300+ pollers:eek:. That's amazing. Would anyone else like to share how the new patch worked for them?

11. CivCube

CivCube Feelin' defiant.

It's now unplayable, but that's okay. I trust Firaxis. For some reason I have a "out of video memory" error when I try to start a game.

12. Jay Elias

Jay Elias Chieftain

All of my interface button icons are now gone after 1.52, replaced by blurs. I've reinstalled, and it is definitely a problem related to 1.52, as in 1.00 and 1.09 my icon buttons appear normally.