V24 Bugs/crashes reporting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT:

Also just noticed that when i clicked on a building to be built now, it stays in the action area and does not remove itself like it used to, ie Irrigation Canals (screenie2).
Correct. It is disabled though (grayed out).
I might make a proper fix in the long run so the building and unit list caches can deal with a unit or building that is added or removed.

Correct. It is disabled though (grayed out).
I might make a proper fix in the long run so the building and unit list caches can deal with a unit or building that is added or removed.

Having them disappear fro the list was a major usability improvement, since it shrunk the list. This is a major step backward IMO.

Having them disappear fro the list was a major usability improvement, since it shrunk the list. This is a major step backward IMO.
Reversed it partially. They will now disappear at once but at the cost of recalculating the full building list which is very slow if the filter to show only constructable stuff is off.

SVN 3183 (start), 3194 (current): I am one turn away from researching Druidism, and if you clear the research selection you will see the hand icon in the lower right corner indicating that I will be the first to research Druidism. But Poland (Ashubanipal) already researched Druidism about 3,000 years earlier.

Non-repeating CTD. Santa Anna declares war on next turn (in response, I move the two Atl-Atls on the hills next to Utica into town to defend it) and attacks Utica (N of Carthage). He won the first fight (which was a pretty low probability event) and the CTD happened immediately.
View attachment 327159
View attachment 327160

Non-repeating CTD. Santa Anna declares war on next turn (in response, I move the two Atl-Atls on the hills next to Utica into town to defend it) and attacks Utica (N of Carthage). He won the first fight (which was a pretty low probability event) and the CTD happened immediately.
View attachment 327159
View attachment 327160

Minidump shows it's crashing in the main game engine, not our DLL. This usually means a graphical issue. Do you have viewports or dynamic entities on? If so does it seem to happen without?

Minidump shows it's crashing in the main game engine, not our DLL. This usually means a graphical issue. Do you have viewports or dynamic entities on? If so does it seem to happen without?

I had viewports on (50x30,2), but it doesn't repeat at all. If the CTD doesn't happen, the AI player continues attacking with the other units in that stack which are all mundane from what I can see. Which is to say there's no switch of viewpoint occurring and since I've got more Atl-Atls sitting in that city, the only graphic that might change is the attacker's stack, cycling through to the stone axemen (I think).

I don't think it was some variant of MAF as there was no error message to that effect and I was able to reload and let the turn play through several times without incident (all the other times the attacker suicides his whole stack with no losses on my part).

I don't know what dynamic entities are so I would guess that's off if it is by default.

@Koshling, unexplored areas of the sea now look like shore lines with waves washing against them.:lol:

SVN 3183 (start), 3194 (current): I am one turn away from researching Druidism, and if you clear the research selection you will see the hand icon in the lower right corner indicating that I will be the first to research Druidism. But Poland (Ashubanipal) already researched Druidism about 3,000 years earlier.

I will go through again and check that the icons are the correct ones.

@Koshling, unexplored areas of the sea now look like shore lines with waves washing against them.:lol:

Hmm yeh. Unfortunately I can't see a way round that. The problem is the game engine refuses to not transiently display ocean tiles that it thought were revealed (by position in it considers a map) on a viewport or map switch. To get round this I had to use TERRAIN_SPACE and tell the game engine that all unrevealed tiles are that (so black even when it display it). Unformatunely it wont recognize this on water tiles so I also had to tell it that unrevealed tiles were land, which is what will be causing the effect you see.

Basically if we want to support either viewports or multiple maps, we need to compromise one way or the other - either you get these pseudo-edges in unexplored ocean, or map or viewport switches can reveal stuff you shouldn't see for a few seconds.

A compromise half-way house would be to use the TERRAIN_SPACE trick only for land, but that would mean outlines of coasts that you should no see will be visible to you on map/vewport switches for the few fade-out seconds.

Obviously I could disable it if multimaps or viewports were not in use, but goingorward I think we'll always have multimaps (and probably iewports too) enabled, so i would essentially be a V250-only partial solution.

The weird thing that is behind this, is that different terrain types on water tiles seem to be getting ignored - as far as you are aware is there anythign special about ocean terrains? Do they need something different in their XML or graphics which might mean the trick would work, but that TERRAIN_SPACE can't be used? (i.e. - if we had a black-tile 'ocean' terrain if those are distinguished in some way)

Hmm yeh. Unfortunately I can't see a way round that. The problem is the game engine refuses to not transiently display ocean tiles that it thought were revealed (by position in it considers a map) on a viewport or map switch. To get round this I had to use TERRAIN_SPACE and tell the game engine that all unrevealed tiles are that (so black even when it display it). Unformatunely it wont recognize this on water tiles so I also had to tell it that unrevealed tiles were land, which is what will be causing the effect you see.

Basically if we want to support either viewports or multiple maps, we need to compromise one way or the other - either you get these pseudo-edges in unexplored ocean, or map or viewport switches can reveal stuff you shouldn't see for a few seconds.

A compromise half-way house would be to use the TERRAIN_SPACE trick only for land, but that would mean outlines of coasts that you should no see will be visible to you on map/vewport switches for the few fade-out seconds.

Obviously I could disable it if multimaps or viewports were not in use, but goingorward I think we'll always have multimaps (and probably iewports too) enabled, so i would essentially be a V250-only partial solution.

The weird thing that is behind this, is that different terrain types on water tiles seem to be getting ignored - as far as you are aware is there anythign special about ocean terrains? Do they need something different in their XML or graphics which might mean the trick would work, but that TERRAIN_SPACE can't be used? (i.e. - if we had a black-tile 'ocean' terrain if those are distinguished in some way)

I have no idea when it comes to terrain graphics. There are a whole bunch of numbers which are supposed to handle edge effects and such like but I think you need to know how to do the graphics to figure out what they mean. :(

I have no idea when it comes to terrain graphics. There are a whole bunch of numbers which are supposed to handle edge effects and such like but I think you need to know how to do the graphics to figure out what they mean. :(

Well, there's always good old fashioned trail and error.:mischief:

Have you considered just putting a black screen over everything for a few seconds? Something like the tech screen, or any of the others, but completely black. That should be much faster and easier than changing plots.

Or isn't there a function to call that turns of the display of the map, used by the wonder movie code? OK - I just looked at CvWonderMovieScreen.py and there is a function called "setRenderInterfaceOnly(bool)" on the CyGInterfaceScreen object that you can set to True to not display the map at all. Set it to False to have it show the map again. Interestingly, this does not appear to be available to the DLL (no .cpp or .h file mentions CyGInterfaceScreen). If true, you'd ahve to add a call to run some Python to do it. There may be some function with a different name that would do the same thing in the DLL.

I checked the XML and it should be working correctly.:( The tech points to the correct icon and the religion points to the correct icon. I'll look elsewhere but I am stumped at the moment.

@StrategyOnly when you get a chance remove the file druid.dds from the folder art/interface/buttons/techtree. Not a big deal, just to tidy things up a bit. It is the old druidism at natropathy button.

@StrategyOnly when you get a chance remove the file druid.dds from the folder art/interface/buttons/techtree. Not a big deal, just to tidy things up a bit. It is the old druidism at natropathy button.

The tree with a hand, correct, if so, done, thx for letting me know.;)

Have you considered just putting a black screen over everything for a few seconds? Something like the tech screen, or any of the others, but completely black. That should be much faster and easier than changing plots.

Or isn't there a function to call that turns of the display of the map, used by the wonder movie code? OK - I just looked at CvWonderMovieScreen.py and there is a function called "setRenderInterfaceOnly(bool)" on the CyGInterfaceScreen object that you can set to True to not display the map at all. Set it to False to have it show the map again. Interestingly, this does not appear to be available to the DLL (no .cpp or .h file mentions CyGInterfaceScreen). If true, you'd ahve to add a call to run some Python to do it. There may be some function with a different name that would do the same thing in the DLL.

It's nearly a 10 second fade out. So that would cause every viewport transition to take at least 10 seconds, rather than two to three as now. To some extent that would make the medicine worse than the cure, especially as the game gets more mature (spread out) and you need more transitions per turn.

Here's something that I have seen that I don't think is a major bug, but it is disconcerting. A lot of ocean tiles are showing up as bright blue (visible), not shadowy blue (fog of war), even though I have no ships in the area. These tiles tend to form "halos" on the map, like in this screenshot.

View attachment 327188

Any idea what causes this? I've attached a save game if it will help.

Here's something that I have seen that I don't think is a major bug, but it is disconcerting. A lot of ocean tiles are showing up as bright blue (visible), not shadowy blue (fog of war), even though I have no ships in the area. These tiles tend to form "halos" on the map, like in this screenshot.

There was some speculation that it is caused by the visibility line of promotions. Never heard of any solution though. Maybe it just got forgotten.

View attachment 327188

If it helps anyone to know, I was seeing this effect 2 versions ago as well so it has nothing to do with any changes since then. I never did remember to bring it up. It's kinda funny.

It's nearly a 10 second fade out. So that would cause every viewport transition to take at least 10 seconds, rather than two to three as now. To some extent that would make the medicine worse than the cure, especially as the game gets more mature (spread out) and you need more transitions per turn.
What about his other suggestion? A non transparent widget that fills your entire screen in the foreground and maybe a label "Switching Viewport" in the mid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom