Version 2.8beta

zappara

Mod Designer
I'm going to upload today v2.8beta version so that you can test it out and give feedback about bugs etc. I'm aiming at early October for v2.8 release so there's some weeks time to make adjustments and I still need to add some things during those weeks - so this beta doesn't hold all the new stuff yet but most of the changes are in place.

The beta has couple issues that I know of, so no need to post about the following things:
-RevDCM is still v2.5, it will be updated during next weeks so RoM v2.8 will include also that new version once I get the chance to merge it.
- Religion screen does not have scrolling. Unfortunate side effect because BUG was updated from v3.6 to v4.0 and they had made whole new religion screen. BUG team knows about my problem and there is some effort going on to make the screen scrollable. Beta contains RoM v2.71 religion screen in txt format in case you want to replace the new screen with it (just delete new one and rename v2.71 to that name).
- Other languages than English give python exception at the start of the game. Seems to be caused by some BUG mod component. However this shouldn't affect anything.

The beta comes in exe mode with a installer which hopefully finally frees us from any installing problems... Let me know how it works on different operating systems. Windows 7 gives warning after installation but just click "installation was successfull" - mod worked fine on my computer and also uninstaller worked correctly.

v2.8beta at AtomicGamer site (436MB)

This download is untested and I don't know if uploading this beta worked this time (4th attempt). If it doesn't work, I'll try uploading it again on next weekend.

So does the beta include all the updates so far what were you planned for 2.8?

Cant wait.. :)

Upload is complete, now to download and test it. :)

So does the beta include all the updates so far what were you planned for 2.8?

Cant wait.. :)
Yes, it has everything made so far.

I haven't finished the download yet, but what program did you use to make the installer, out of curiosity?

Oh that?

I tried it, but it didn't offer the functionality I needed, so I just use InstallJammer, another opensource alternative...

Also, could you try increasing the compression settings, it seems like RoM 2.8 wasn't compressed very well, the size jumped 100mb.

Problem on my end with installation, I've tried to run it twice and get this error....Assets\art\movies\wonders\TheatreOfDionysus.bik: this file contains invalid data. (error 21FC), do you think maybe I have a corrupted download and maybe should try again? Want to do whatever I need to do to get it working, 'cause honestly I'm pretty excited about playing the 2.8beta...lol

Oh that?

I tried it, but it didn't offer the functionality I needed, so I just use InstallJammer, another opensource alternative...

Also, could you try increasing the compression settings, it seems like RoM 2.8 wasn't compressed very well, the size jumped 100mb.
Actually I tested the compression rate by comparing it with Winrar's maximum compression rate. The file size was the same so I assume it's now packed with winrar's maximum algorithm. The v2.8beta contains quite a lot of new movies which are already packed and thus those increased the download size quite a bit. For v2.8 release I've been thinking of making Lite version that comes without big modules and without those new wonder movies.

Problem on my end with installation, I've tried to run it twice and get this error....Assets\art\movies\wonders\TheatreOfDionysus.bik: this file contains invalid data. (error 21FC), do you think maybe I have a corrupted download and maybe should try again? Want to do whatever I need to do to get it working, 'cause honestly I'm pretty excited about playing the 2.8beta...lol
My download is not yet complete so I can't confirm yet if the problem was with your download process or if the actual file that I uploaded was corrupted. If the file is not working correctly, it'll take another 2 hours from me to upload it again.

7Z FTW, it's better than WinRar

I create 2 new Traits, there they are
Trait1
No anarchy.
Free Speed promotion (+1 movement) to combat_worker and combat_settler units.
+25% production bonus to Builder (new Units).

Trait2
+1 :) per city.
+1 Hammer from plot with 3 hammer <== opposite the financial trait (i hate financial, so i created it ^^).
+1 :) from some production buildings (or only 1 building class).

wewew, and new Unit is Builder.
-Require Tech_Construction.
-National Unit 5 max.
-Cost 80.
-Movement 2.
-Can Hurry 20 pure prod.
-+25% production with trait1.
This Unit will help expand strategy, combos well with tree chop for builder+expand player <== new solution for builder player who dont want to use slavery and sacrifice people to build some more base buildings (thou production from tree chop is good, but i think there is not enough ^^).
So on, build Builders will halt military production very well too, and decrease military power of the empire. Ratio between production from hurry and production cost is low (20 hurry and 80 cost).

Both there two traits are good for leader who focus on expand, build, change civics frequently and atlast, run a massive war to claim victory :). I hope you will think about them, and may be they are useful :).

Confirmed on my end.

Actually I tested the compression rate by comparing it with Winrar's maximum compression rate. The file size was the same so I assume it's now packed with winrar's maximum algorithm. The v2.8beta contains quite a lot of new movies which are already packed and thus those increased the download size quite a bit. For v2.8 release I've been thinking of making Lite version that comes without big modules and without those new wonder movies.

I see. The really bad part about Civ4 movies is that they barely get compressed. I ran a compression at max settings in a rar for 80mb of movie files and it finished with a 75mb rar file...

What new movies where included? AAranda's movies?

installation work fine, but i can`t load mod...mod don`t work...when i load mod, game starts classic BTS..

Oh that?

Out of curiousity, what was missing from those install scripts? The NSIS install system is pretty powerful, you should be able to add in whatever the scripts themselves are missing, but I've set them up (there are 4 scripts) to offer everything I could think of. The one thing I'd like to add is other language support, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I see. The really bad part about Civ4 movies is that they barely get compressed. I ran a compression at max settings in a rar for 80mb of movie files and it finished with a 75mb rar file...

What new movies where included? AAranda's movies?
Some movies I had downloaded long ago - I think they are all made by Arian and Johny Smith. The full list is in the version notes I posted in the v2.8 discussion thread.

Out of curiousity, what was missing from those install scripts? The NSIS install system is pretty powerful, you should be able to add in whatever the scripts themselves are missing, but I've set them up (there are 4 scripts) to offer everything I could think of. The one thing I'd like to add is other language support, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
For me the install system offered everything I need and it's really easy to use. :) Though for Linux and Mac OS the mod probably have to be released still in rar/zip file format.

installation work fine, but i can`t load mod...mod don`t work...when i load mod, game starts classic BTS..
Can you give more information: where did you install the mod and what operating system are you using?

Seeing this I thought you were using one of those scripts so I downloaded this to make sure it worked correctly. I know alot of people play RoM, and I would have felt all warm and fuzzy knowing it was using something I created.

The installer you are using is not NSIS, or if it is you are using the old NSIS, and not the modern setup. And the current RoM 2.8beta is definatly not using one of those scripts, so I'm not sure why you linked it. If you were using one of those scripts, the installer would be working. As of now, it does not work, whatever you are trying to use is instead trying to install to the My Documents path, instead of the Program Files path. I recommend trying one of the scripts you linked to, they work very well. If you decide to continue using whatever program you are using you need to figure out what's wrong with your registry check, and why it's installing to the My Documents path instead of Program Files like it should.

Seeing this I thought you were using one of those scripts so I downloaded this to make sure it worked correctly. I know alot of people play RoM, and I would have felt all warm and fuzzy knowing it was using something I created.

The installer you are using is not NSIS, or if it is you are using the old NSIS, and not the modern setup. And the current RoM 2.8beta is definatly not using one of those scripts, so I'm not sure why you linked it. If you were using one of those scripts, the installer would be working. As of now, it does not work, whatever you are trying to use is instead trying to install to the My Documents path, instead of the Program Files path. I recommend trying one of the scripts you linked to, they work very well. If you decide to continue using whatever program you are using you need to figure out what's wrong with your registry check, and why it's installing to the My Documents path instead of Program Files like it should.
Hmm, I was pretty sure it was NSIS, I'll have to double check it when I get back home. It could be some other program that has instructions on CFC as this was the place where I got the info to use installer program.

Anyway, I tested the RoM2.8beta on my computer multiple times before I decided to upload it (tested on 64bit Windows 7). It worked just fine on all tests. The mod does work from 'My documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Rise of Mankind' -folder on my computer and BtS is installed to another drive. Have you tried changing the install path to BtS installation path (and Mods folder in that location)? I guess I could use registry to retrieve the correct location since there was such option but not sure how it would work on all different OSes.

Actually, looking at the install again after seeing what you guys were saying, it was trying to send it to the My Documents path, changed it to the right path and tried again, but still getting the same error

Top Bottom