[NFP] Vietnam Discussion Thread

Truly love it - unique and challenging with strong options if you place your cities well. Yes PLEASE. And she is AMAZINGLY animated
One of the best-animated Leaders to come out of the NFP. She has achieved balance.

The UA also seems a little odd for Vietnam, but I'll reserve my judgements for when I actually get to try it out.
Well Vietnam is full of woods, rainforests and swamps so they decided to make a mechanic around where they can only build on those tiles I guess. It's not what I would have thought of that's for sure.
At least you're not forced to settle on them.

Just like Georgia and Ethiopia.
That wasn't hard to do. :mischief:

Bà Triệu has the agenda "Defender of the Homeland." She likes civilizations that have not declared war on her (or at least not recently). Dislikes those who have attacked Vietnam. So yes, she holds on to grudges. - From Ed
Well that's surprising. :eek:
At least now I can have all the marshland, woods, and rainforests I want now. :D

My first impression is that Science for Flight will be the bottleneck. Placement of Campuses could be a little tricky and the amount of Science generated will roughly proportional to the available Rainforests.

Yeah, they're going to be a really annoying civ where you have like 4 mountains and a geotherm all around a tile, but since it doesn't have a rainforest, you're not going to be able to build a campus there until the medieval era. But assuming districts don't clear terrain, they're going to get some double-adjacency for their campuses. And suddenly have an interesting new contender for Sacred Path pantheon, since planting a holy site in the middle of a jungle and then further surrounding it with other districts might yield some big bonuses.

Sadly it looks like theres also the problem in this first looks video of the unique classical architecture defaulting to the french-german-australian style when used as sprawl around city center adjacent districts, tho thats probably because its been taken from the same build of the game as the january update video was. still, im holding out hope that it gets fixed. as-is it just looks ugly and immersion-breaking imho

Kinda like how Ethiopia does extremely well on Highlands, I wonder if we'll ever get a new map type that's covered in rainforests, woods, and marshes to compliment Vietnam.
If nothing else, Vietnam will appreciate Rainfall setting "Wet".

They better add "Boreal" map in the February Update!
I'd rather they add larger map sizes. We have a variety of maps already, what we need are larger maps.

Eight step plan to win as Vietnam:

Step 1: Reroll until finding Giant's Causeway
Step 2: Build a spearman and earn promotions
Step 3: Recruit Victor and promote him
Step 4: Select Defender of the Faith
Step 5: Make spearman into an army
Step 6: Fortify on a rainforest hill
Step 7: Dare enemy cavalry/tanks to invade
Step 8: Profit???

Does anyone recognise the armor on those soldiers manning the elephant? They look extremely Thai to me. Whether it's the helmets or the triangular armor pieces, they definitely look nothing like the folks we have in later drawings, photos or statues of Vietnamese troops (circa Nguyen, of course, so admittably late). Though I'm open to be wrong and at least the helmet could come from Ming influence. Any chance we could get Alex to show us the materials they're based on? :mischief:

Does anyone recognise the armor on those soldiers manning the elephant? They look extremely Thai to me. Whether it's the helmets or the triangular armor pieces, they definitely look nothing like the folks we have in later drawings, photos or statues of Vietnamese troops (circa Nguyen, of course, so admittably late). Though I'm open to be wrong and at least the helmet could come from Ming influence. Any chance we could get Alex to show us the materials they're based on? :mischief:
Sound the @Andrew Johnson [FXS] alarm!

The districts look like they will retain whatever features they are on. But since volcanoes can destroy features and you cannot grow woods on district tiles, I guess it is just better to avoid volcanoes.

I assume that if a volcano destroys the feature underlaying a district, the buildings will no longer get the extra yields.

The districts look like they will retain whatever features they are on. But since volcanoes can destroy features and you cannot grow woods on district tiles, I guess it is just better to avoid volcanoes.

I wonder what happens to features with districts if Liang with Reinforced Materials is in the city.

I wonder what happens to features with districts if Liang with Reinforced Materials is in the city.
Place that in your most important City, and we'll watch you win.

Just checked. It is +2 Culture for every adjacent District, so that means you could get at least 12 Culture, adding +12 Tourism after Flight.

At most. You mean at most. Can you imagine if it was at least? Open Air Museums dead in an Expletive Deleted ditch.

Actually, not quite at most because if built on a forest, you can get up to 15 culture/tourism. :)

Bà Triệu has the agenda "Defender of the Homeland." She likes civilizations that have not declared war on her (or at least not recently). Dislikes those who have attacked Vietnam. So yes, she holds on to grudges. - From Ed

Well that's a relief. No chance of retro-fitting Menelik's agenda for good measure? He looks like a learned man, let him love you if you have culture or something.

Top Bottom