Wait... people are still playing this game?

Haha. nice... My old comp was the same way.

Made you be able to beam down on to planets and do missions instead of being stuck in your spaceship and the other one just gave you more parts.

What were the missions like?

There were 10 or 12 very well done MAXIS made missions and then after you had beaten those you could download player made missions and create your own. As you completed missions you went up in the ranks and unlocked new items to put on your captain and supposedly at one you can recruit AI crew mebers that will beam down to the planet and do the missions with you but I got started playing Civ IV Complete and never did all 10 or 12 MAXIS missions. I did about about 6 which kept me entertained for a small amount of time.

What were the missions like?

Some of them had pretty good narratives and event triggers, and a few of them figured out how to max out the game play modes. I felt the limitations of the editor when I tried to do a pastiche story of Robert E. Howard's non-Conan stories and a Rainbow Six Vegas 2 parody. You couldn't reliably do stacking interiors, though you could make objects for walls, roofs, etc... And your stories had to be told fairly briefly in 8 acts. Rooms with floors seemed to confuse the AI especially. yadda yadda.

Here's a few "Let's Play":
Maxis tutorial:
Link to video.

Link to video.

Link to video.

Link to video.

I got bored of the game quite quickly during the space stage, wich I got to in about 4-5 hours..
The concept and the game itself were great though, but it could have been better.

Edit:
Also.. this subforum looks quite.. dead.
Is it still worth keeping?

Better than Master of Orion, Homeworld, Starcraft, Sim City 2000, Civilization 3, and other such things?

Like others have said spore had a great concept it just felt so...limiting after a while. For several reasons in my opinion such as,

1)The Cell Stage was a good introduction to the game but it could have been much more in depth. Especially when it came to creating your cell and your interaction with other cells.

2)The Creature Stage is a prime example of what I think the whole game suffered from,a huge world with little to do in. I mean it's fun for a while and some moments like when your ambushed by a random hostile species, or when you battle an Epic, or when you go on a killing spree across everything you see with a couple of (Rogue?) creatures.
These were when the game shined to me, but after a while you realized there was no point to this because you would just advance to the next stage and that when you reach a certain point in a stage that that stage is over and you can't continue the stage to it's full potential.

3)The Tribal and Civilization stages, to me, were the most well done but really could have used more detail and diversity.

4)Then The Space Stage the biggest disappointment to me because in the beginning it was great. First contact, interaction with other species, the upgrades for your ship, and the great interstellar wars. However after a point it gets ridiculously frustrating when, for example, your exploring on the other side of the galaxy and your empire is falling apart from pirate raids, ecological disasters, Grox invasions, and the like, because apparently your the only person in your entire empire that can do anything. I mean conquering the galaxy or defeating the Grox is impossible when your entire empire is falling apart around you. If you could build other military ships and soldiers for invasions and defense and policing your territory the Space Stage, in my mind, would be 300 times better.

5)Finally the game was just so terrible after a while because it teases you all throughout the game of what it could have been and how much better it could be.

That's just my opinion on it. Though in Spore's defense I still play it every now and again, because despite all it short comings it's still a fun game in my twisted Hobotic mind.

Magic Hobo basically hit it. A few changes could have made the world so much more interesting- if the space stage had been more of an RTS that you can have adventures in from your capital ship (using it as a Cursors, perhaps, like in Tanktics), for example. Cell phase was good, but creature stage was less about surviving and genuinely evolving, and more about dancing with animals to get new pompoms to stick on your creature to get the best stats, and killing animals when you get frustrated at their refusal to befriend you. Tribal stage could have gained a lot from a softer population limit, and more options for your expansion and development path. City stage is actually quite good, and if it had been able to better simulate the advancement of technology it would have been even better.

But yes, space... it's a bit of a one-play thing, once you start a new game in the space phase it's just unspeakably frustrating to deal with every pointlessly weak ability on your starship.

Agreeing with the last two posts, and having played it since it came out, the game had so much potential and it was never tapped, not even with the expansions. The space stage has little things that I haven't seen before or that are interesting and that keep me coming back once in a while but I really barely play the game any more.

Someday, someone will make the game that Spore could have been- but we're not there yet. For now, this was a noble, if derailed, attempt. I still have loads of respect for Spore, and I use its creature creator as a bit of a creativity engine... but yeah, the game itself has several deep flaws.

Yea, that litttle variable can change your view very much... ;)

Someday, someone will make the game that Spore could have been- but we're not there yet. For now, this was a noble, if derailed, attempt. I still have loads of respect for Spore, and I use its creature creator as a bit of a creativity engine... but yeah, the game itself has several deep flaws.

Someones already on their way!!!

Ive posted this before so i dont want to look like a spammer, but i feel its unfair if i find this game and so many others who wish for such a thing dont find it.

The game is called thrive, its still under development, but check out the wiki below in my signature for more info. Theyre looking for more pol to join the dev team, so i took the opportunity!

Hope this helps! :)

Checking it out... I just saw your other post in this subforum, and I don't mind the linking at all. :)

Top Bottom