warhammer 40k mod

Well, the Gargant will be on the order of my Land Ironclad or Shinra Grosspanzer in size, possibly up to the size of one of my airships.... I'm still working on the model for the Ork Gargant/Orcish Warmachine (it's kind of based on both the Orcish warmachine from FF XI and a random Ork Gargant from WH 40K)... It does have a whole bunch of spiky bitz and some serious weaponry. When I get done with what I'm working on for it right now, I'll see about posting a preview....

Having a space marine and a baneblade being of similar size looks a little strange, and a gargant is a few orders of magnitude larger still...
But having a soldier standing on top of a city, being 5 times higher than a church spire, is ok? That's how civ usually look. ;)

And of course everyone knows that a Battleship is just 3 times bigger than a coracle. :)

I don't know if you have done this already or not, but may I suggest that the orkish buildings get special gfx, using the culture specific gfx, as much as possible?

Okay, preview of the Gargant thus far is in the Lord of Ragnarok thread....

mrtn said:
But having a soldier standing on top of a city, being 5 times higher than a church spire, is ok?

Heh, there's always that. I was more concerned that it would look too similar in size and shape to the killa kans and dreads. But having seen the preview, it doesn't seem like that would be a problem. Looking good, Hikaro!

As for the cities, I've currently got the orks using the industrial era graphics in this set: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=2441855&postcount=8

Oh, whoops.

Orks and imperials are going to have an almost entirely different set of buildings, so there shouldn't be a problem giving them each a distinctive look. For something like the fortress stronghold, where it's a shared building, having appropriate culture-specific graphics definitely sounds like the way to go. :) I hadn't thought of that.

I've never had much luck creating graphics from scratch for civ3. The results tend to have weird glitches, or they're all black, or otherwise don't display, or some such crap. (Did I mention I am a complete amateur at this stuff? Yes, that's me. Hi.) If I could sort out whatever I am doing to bugger up the .pcx files, I could get some nice screenshots of the Dawn of War ork buildings, and slap them in as civilopedia graphics.

Or if you can recommend some pre-existing graphics that have a nice orky feel about them, that'd be great too.

If they're all black that's because you forgot to make the pic 256 colours. If you use Photoshop (which I recommend, but we all recommend what we're most familiar with ;)), check the transparency link in my sig, that will help you getting optimal pcxs.
The "weird glitches" is probably that you have the transparency colour showing in the pic. The first two colours in the Color Table/Palette (Photoshop) / last two colours (GIMP and Paint Shop Pro) shouldn't be visible in the pic, that's why they're usually turned into weird colours like magenta and lime green.

The tutorial forum is a nice place to visit if you don't have a clue. ;)

Cool, I think I've got it sorted now. Photos of miniatures against a white background fit in pretty well with the existing pedia pics, too:

Cheers. :)

Yes, what Stormrage said. There's a reason the WH mod Readme says
Warhammer Fantasy Mod is a total conversion for Civilization 3: Conquests using intellectual property owned by Games Workshop. Used without permission.
That "total conversion" part is the key here.

But good work on sorting it out. :thumbsup: What program do you use?

I'm using the GIMP. It's a bit clunky, but it's free.

Good call on the copyright reminder. I didn't even realize that bike pic came from the GW website. What about using a pic of some random dude's ork bike, rather than an official GW image? It seems as though that might fall within GW's usage rules.

Following those rules would also mean scrapping and rewriting all the civilopedia text, which is largely borrowed from the codexes and other such sources.

I'm afraid this may become an indefinitely prolonged exercise, if those rules hold sway. I've no artistic ability, so I can't draw my own graphics. I can write just dandy, but I already do a lot of writing during the day, and I'm disinclined to add to that. When I started out, I didn't really have the intention of distributing the scenario, so copyright issues never occurred to me. Alas.

Well, I suspect that they could be a bit more worried about usage of pics than of text, but I don't really know. It's also possible that they look to intent, and may let a few per cent slip through...

But don't the units come with pedia pics?

Most of them do, but not the ork bike. The icons for the ork bomber, fighta-bomba, and killa kan have garish blue or pink backgrounds. All of those units except the bike are in Dawn of War, though, so I may be able to cannibalize some screenshots. :)

I suspect the text would be considered a more serious infringement. The photos of miniatures are just representations of GW products, whereas the codex text IS a GW product. But I don't really know either.

The icons for the ork bomber, fighta-bomba, and killa kan have garish blue or pink backgrounds.
This sounds very much like a bad palette, probably the white background is in the "forbidden" palette position.

I think that using the texts by games workshop isn't such a big deal... Embryodead himself used text he got from games workshop website. But he strictly forbid himself of using any graphics made by GW (eventhough they would have some cool stuff for various purposes).

Well, if a 40K project gets back on the road, I can try to help. I have a few of the codexes (Although my rulebook is the one before the present one). I can also help if you wanted to make separate Blood Angels or Dark Angels Space Marine groups, and Catchan(SP?) Imperial Guard.

Ellipsis Jones said:
Most of them do, but not the ork bike. The icons for the ork bomber, fighta-bomba, and killa kan have garish blue or pink backgrounds.
Sorry! I used to hate doing those icons.

The Great Apple said:
Sorry! I used to hate doing those icons.

Hey, no problem. Thanks for doing the units! that's the hard bit. Without you, aaglo, and muffins, there wouldn't be a scenario. I'm just putting stats into the editor. :)

Virote_Considon said:
Well, if a 40K project gets back on the road, I can try to help. I have a few of the codexes

Any suggestions you could give on unit stats and abilities would be a big help. Things like relative ranges for the artillery units (vindicator, whirlwind, basilisk), and special abilities for the combat units. For example, landspeeders will have 'treat all terrain as roads', predators will have blitz, stormboyz and termies will be paratroopers. Are there any such abilities that could be used to distinguish the other units?

I'm tentatively going with Salamanders for the marines, but that could change. Blood Angels aren't represented as well by the existing units as some of the more codex-compliant chapters (and I want to keep the red civcolor for the orks!), but Dark Angels might work if they were on Armageddon.

If I went with a bigger map that included the jungle areas rather than just hive helsreach, catachans would be a nice inclusion. The guerrila looks kind of like those rambo-style miniatures, and I bet there's a star wars AT-ST unit that could be pressed into service as a sentinel...

Top Bottom