Warlords...The Great Wall is horrible!

Louis XXIV said:
Isn't that how its supposed to be?

I think its suppsoe to be like that, but they Don't enter your territory AT ALL, even if you have a city a thousnad miles outside the wall, they will walk around it, and never go in.

meatwad4289 said:
I think its suppsoe to be like that, but they Don't enter your territory AT ALL, even if you have a city a thousnad miles outside the wall, they will walk around it, and never go in.

If this is really true, and not just a fluke occurance, then there's a HUGE bug, but I just refuse to believe that it could possibly have got through testing....

DrewBledsoe said:
If this is really true, and not just a fluke occurance, then there's a HUGE bug, but I just refuse to believe that it could possibly have got through testing....
then it might be intentional.

DrewBledsoe said:

Why would it be a huge bug?

I like the protection it gives my workers and settlers. Often times, esp. in larger maps, barbarians on the fringe of your border force my workers and settlers to hide out, at least until I take care of the barbarians. Now they're free to roam my own country without fear of getting pillaged.

King Jason said:
Why would it be a huge bug?
because it should stop Barbs from coming into territory with a wall, not the territory itself... we dont kno if this is the intention or a bug

The wonder builds the walls along your borders that moment - as your borders expand, the walls don't move with it. They just stay wherever they were when they were built. That's the way it was always intended to be.

[QUOTE hat touches the coast.

What I took the poster to mean, (well what he stated) is that if you build a city after the wall is completed, and outside the area of its effect, then barbs cannot enter that cities borders. This would be a bug, as it isn't intended.

If somehow he meant that the wall prevents barbs from entering a city "a thousand miles away" but built before the wall was constructed, then that is intended.

I mean borders that are outside the wall. Isn't that what the wall is for, barbs can't go through it to attack the cities you built before it was completed?

meatwad4289 said:

I normally play marathon so the dates may be different. But I have noticed that even thought Barbarians appear outside my cultural borders at an early date, they will not enter my borders until ~2400BC. Prior to that they just move around the fringe. But once that date hits they charge.

So its possible that you are just seeing something similar.

i've noticed this too, kcbrett5, i hope that's what we're seeing now, because this would break the terra map beyond repair.

i love raging barbarians, but trying to deal with 4-12 of them every turn makes the GW a great wonder. Now I can develop my interior w/o worrying about constant pillaging. And I can use my army to take on the other civs.

I like the Great Wall and how it works because I hate barbarians but dont turn them off because it feels vaguley like cheating. In that since it is great. However the wall and the pyramids are your options and the wall IS NOT good enough to make a person choose it over the pyramids, which is a greatly over powered wonder.

on a terra map, i'd say you'd be better off building the wall than the pyramids, saving 200 hammers. use those hammers on your first war. use that land to be the first to discover liberalism. free tech - astronomy. you could leave barbarian cities undefended and just move on to the next one because they can't counterattack!
i know terra is just one map type, but it's not like it's a scenario or anything. they should consider it when considering game balance.

i just ran a quick test, and it seems that once the wall is built, barbs can't enter any of your culture period. the extent of the wall has nothing to do with it. just a WB test, not definitive, but a massive stack of macemen razed saladin's cities, leaving all mine alone. i placed the great wall around only my capital's fat cross, but all my other cities were off limits to barbs as well.

The effects of the Great Wall apply within your cultural borders on that continent, but not on different continents.

naterator said:
i just ran a quick test, and it seems that once the wall is built, barbs can't enter any of your culture period. the extent of the wall has nothing to do with it. just a WB test, not definitive, but a massive stack of macemen razed saladin's cities, leaving all mine alone. i placed the great wall around only my capital's fat cross, but all my other cities were off limits to barbs as well.

Sigh, sigh even harder.....what do you say? It's broken then, even if it's intended to do that it's still broken, so the wall effectively grows with your civ then..which is such a stupid concept its beyond even more sighing, but I will anyway...siggggggghhhhhh...

Edit:- Faint glimmer of hope, use WB if you will, build the wall, wait a few turns then build a few more cities somewhere else (on same continent), and leave them empty with barbs right outside and see what happens...I really hope they get razed, if not then its back to more sighing....

Top Bottom