Wasp Removal

I was not allowed to play outside after dinner !
I found that quite traumatic, especially because of the girls.
The workaround when I was 13-14 was my volleybalclub and training in the evening.
My very christian parents making the choice which christian volleybalclub...
But I had my social life :)
By the time I was 14 I was "borrowing" one of my parents' cars to go see girls (and occasionally having to "contribute" to some police officer that pulled me over).

My parents are very Christian too, but I always suspected catholics are different in these regards. There was never any lock up time, any restriction about bringing girls over, etc.

By the time I was 14 I was "borrowing" one of my parents' cars to go see girls (and occasionally having to "contribute" to some police officer that pulled me over).

My parents are very Christian too, but I always suspected catholics are different in these regards. There was never any lock up time, any restriction about bringing girls over, etc.

My parents were rather strict Protestant: Gereformeerd. There are even stricter Calvinist versions. The neigborhood I lived in, bland, concrete, 4-floor flats, was mixed with "normal" Protestants, Catholics, non-Christians and more free.
Hardly cars BTW in that neigborhood when I grew up. But on a not developed area nearby, now industrial zone, we build our huts, smoked our stolen cigarettes, and also for the girls :)
Yes to what you say: that's what I learned later on here in NL, that the really Catholic areas in NL, South of the river Rhine, were quite different. There I learned that people, adults as well, were much better able to allow and enjoy "the little sins".

A can of hairspray and a lighter works too. ;)

Ah, the joys of youth before x-boxes.
Before such aerosol conveniences, I used a candle and a can of lighter fluid. I would stand the candle up and spray the lighter fluid through the flame and watch toy soldiers burn.

In the end of elementary school, i had a friend whose father was a drunk. That friend was very into modelling plastic airplanes. They ended looking really good - but then he would always fill them with a small explosive, and send them to their final journey, until they hit the wall between his building and the adjacent one, and broke up making a terrible sound in the night.

Rather obvious that he felt that nothing good can be kept in this world.

I'd put model glue on my ships and set them on fire and shoot them with a BB gun

I usually filled old glass jars with water and tested how many pumps it took to break them with bbs and pellets from range.

For fire, after learning first that it's possible to put a match out by tossing it into a can of gasoline, and second that it's a bad idea to tip it over when you're tired of it burning... insect wings go fast. Lick em real quick and they're done. I think it's the principle the laser fence works on, burn off one wing and that's adequate. Can't say I was brave enough to take on a wasp hive with a lighter tho. The powder that came before the sprays was dicey enough on your exit strategy and velocity.

I remember thinking (late elementary) that it would be awesome to use my playmobil pirate ship in the actual sea.
Of course this wasn't so; i probably lost some bits of it if i actually took it into the water.

Part of an MRE (Meal Ready to Eat or Meal Rarely Edible depending on source) is a flameless ration heater, which is a heat-resistant bag with a chemical heater in the bottom. You place your heatable food portion in the bag and add water. A chemical reaction heats the water which heats the food package enough to be useful. However, when the temperature is above 40° "enough to be useful" is about the same as you get by putting the food package in direct sunlight for ten minutes. So, there are lots of flameless ration heaters that go unused.

Without going into the chemistry much, the reaction involves oxidizing magnesium using the oxygen in water. H2 gas is a byproduct. Putting one or more heater packs in a bottle and adding water is a common game. The trick is to balance the strength of the bottle, the available oxygen and the heat of the reaction in such a way that the hydrogen catches fire before the bottle ruptures from ordinary gas expansion. Your tax dollars at work.

J

Part of an MRE (Meal Ready to Eat or Meal Rarely Edible depending on source) is a flameless ration heater, which is a heat-resistant bag with a chemical heater in the bottom. You place your heatable food portion in the bag and add water. A chemical reaction heats the water which heats the food package enough to be useful. However, when the temperature is above 40° "enough to be useful" is about the same as you get by putting the food package in direct sunlight for ten minutes. So, there are lots of flameless ration heaters that go unused.

Without going into the chemistry much, the reaction involves oxidizing magnesium using the oxygen in water. H2 gas is a byproduct. Putting one or more heater packs in a bottle and adding water is a common game. The trick is to balance the strength of the bottle, the available oxygen and the heat of the reaction in such a way that the hydrogen catches fire before the bottle ruptures from ordinary gas expansion. Your tax dollars at work.

J

How can it be used as a weapon?

Hydrogen gas is flammable. Set off anywhere near a spark, instant fire. Get enough of the magnesium together and you could make a very hot fire.

J
Just ask the Captain and crew of the Hindenburg.

Wasn't the Skin of the Hindenburg made of a material that was later used as a rocket fuel?
Don't know, but it is an interesting question. The hydrogen, at the time, was the issue.

Don't know, but it is an interesting question. The hydrogen, at the time, was the issue.
I vaguely remember watching a documentary or something over a decade ago about it, apparently the skin caught fire and then ignited the hydrogen if i remember correctly...

Yeah, the Hindenburg was a giant bag of hydrogen painted with extremely flammable paint. Hydrogen flames are difficult to see, and the visible flames and smoke were from the paint and the rest of the skin. It seems it's not really known whether the paint caught fire from an initial spark and that fire then ignited the hydrogen, or whether the hydrogen was leaking already and a spark ignited it directly.

One of my favorite chemicals that I had was sodium borohydride, which is a powerful reducing agent yet not quite powerful enough to ignite or explode by itself if added to water. Instead, it would set the water fizzing with hydrogen - it looked like a soft drink but hydrogenated rather than carbonated. I enjoyed putting it in a bottle and sticking a balloon on top, filling the balloon with hydrogen, and then setting it off with a flame. Managed to singe the hair on my hand and arm but somehow not get burned.

Adding it to a silver nitrate solution caused it to blow up like a geyser and spray black nanoparticles of metallic silver everywhere, including all over my hands. It wouldn't come off and I was afraid I'd be covered with it for days. So I did what any rational person would do and wiped my skin with nitric acid and then immediately put it under water to get the acid off before it burned. Worked perfectly - no silver, no burn.

I thought it would do the same with copper (I) oxide, leaving copper powder and some amount of hydrogen along with more water. Instead, it bubbled up with diborane instead of hydrogen. Diborane is about as toxic as hydrogen cyanide, self-ignites spontaneously just above room temperature, and has a bizarre repulsive smell. Just one of the many toxic gases I've accidentally released in small quantities. :lol:

Adding it to a silver nitrate solution caused it to blow up like a geyser and spray black nanoparticles of metallic silver everywhere, including all over my hands. It wouldn't come off and I was afraid I'd be covered with it for days. So I did what any rational person would do and wiped my skin with nitric acid and then immediately put it under water to get the acid off before it burned. Worked perfectly - no silver, no burn.

You are hardcore, bro :eek:

I'm actually kind of surprised I never hurt myself in any serious way, except for my credit score. But yeah, skin is pretty resistant to strong acids as long as the exposure is less than ~10 seconds, and nitric is the only common acid that will dissolve silver.

Just ask the Captain and crew of the Hindenburg.
Do you have a direct line?
One of my favorite chemicals that I had was sodium borohydride, which is a powerful reducing agent yet not quite powerful enough to ignite or explode by itself if added to water. Instead, it would set the water fizzing with hydrogen - it looked like a soft drink but hydrogenated rather than carbonated. I enjoyed putting it in a bottle and sticking a balloon on top, filling the balloon with hydrogen, and then setting it off with a flame. Managed to singe the hair on my hand and arm but somehow not get burned.

I thought it would do the same with copper (I) oxide, leaving copper powder and some amount of hydrogen along with more water. Instead, it bubbled up with diborane instead of hydrogen. Diborane is about as toxic as hydrogen cyanide, self-ignites spontaneously just above room temperature, and has a bizarre repulsive smell. Just one of the many toxic gases I've accidentally released in small quantities. :lol:
:crazyeye:

It could be worse. The movie Peacemaker Lt Col Devoe and Dr. Kelley (George Clooney and Nicole Kidman) intentionally burned a warhead quantity of plutonium in Manhattan Island's financial district. Even allowing for rapid settlement due to the extreme weight of plutonium oxide there would be lots of dead millionaires.

J

Do you have a direct line?
Of course...
ilovelucy7a.jpg

Top Bottom