What are you not listening to? - (overrated songs and bands)

lordsurya08

class-A procrastinator
Has to be Soulja Boy - Crank That. Even worse than Bieber, and that's really saying something.

And Metallica is the most overrated band by far. They don't make bad music, it's just that they are a mediocre band with one good album at best and don't deserve the attention they get.

And Metallica is the most overrated band by far. They don't make bad music, it's just that they are a mediocre band with one good album at best and don't deserve the attention they get.

Metallica had a bunch of great albums. Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets are still some of my favourites albums of all time.

Nickelback, oh god, Nickelback. I'm hoping Wikileaks will release some top secret RIAA cables describing the evil, dirty things we don't even know about yet that these monotonous mullet-headed cowboys must have done to achieve fame. :vomit:

Whether you personally enjoy Metallica or not, it's hard to claim that they're a "mediocre" band by any objective standards.

I've never heard any songs by Souja Boy or Justin Bieber, and I'm not in any rush to change that. :)

What I think is more interesting are bands or musicians that are simultaneously popular AND really good. That's a rare combination, it seems. (See also: Stevie Wonder.)

Bob Dylan. Terribly overrated. My uncle claims he is the greatest genius in any field in the 20th century (as in, more genius than Einstein). But his music is dull, unimaginative and repetitive, and his warbling off putting. Apparently his poetry more than make up for this, but I don't listen to words in a song, so this doesn't impact on my opinion of him.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why Radiohead is adored as they are. They have some good songs, but Thom Yorke's voice is grating.

I've never really understood the concept of "under-" and "over-rated" artists. It seems rooted in the notions that A) the popularity of art should reflect quality, rather than breadth of appeal and that B) it is possible for a truly objective measure of quality to be established, neither of which I find particularly convincing.

Metallica are "over-rated" because they're the only thrash band ever to break the mainstream, and so many casual fans lack an understanding of the context in which their music emerged and so an over-attribution of innovation and influence. Within metal fandom, their praise is more proportionate.

Also, out of interest, to which of their albums do you refer?

I want to know who, exactly, is overrating Metallica, Nickelback, Justin Bieber, and Katy Perry.

Bob Dylan. Terribly overrated. My uncle claims he is the greatest genius in any field in the 20th century (as in, more genius than Einstein). But his music is dull, unimaginative and repetitive, and his warbling off putting. Apparently his poetry more than make up for this, but I don't listen to words in a song, so this doesn't impact on my opinion of him.

I don't personally listen to a lot of Dylan, but his greatest strength is indeed his songwriting. His singing is lousy and he's not an incredible musician, but the man can definitely write some songs. I don't consider him overrated because I think he's widely recognized as a songwriter first and foremost.

Had a chance to catch his band a few summers ago at a music festival here in Michigan, and his set was pretty lousy. His singing really does sound like all the parodies of him. :lol:

@SuperJay- I'd agree that he's only overrated when he's at all rated as a musician/musical artist.
I've never really understood the concept of "under-" and "over-rated" artists. It seems rooted in the notions that A) the popularity of art should reflect quality, rather than breadth of appeal and that B) it is possible for a truly objective measure of quality to be established, neither of which I find particularly convincing.

I think the attempt is to identify disparities between popularity and artistic talent. Art itself may be completely subjective in what is 'good' and what is 'bad', but artistic talent or ability is much more objective. Perhaps not a truly objective measure of quality (and that's why there is plenty of room for discussion on the topic), but there is at least some objectivity.

Also, opining as to what mainstream stuff you think is awful can be quite fun.

KEA, RTL, MOP, AJFA.

There's four. All in my top twenty thrash albums (and i listen to an excessive amount of thrash).

I don't know how anyone can say that Metallica are over-rated. I mean, they started out bad, but a change occurred around about Saint Anger, and since then they've been absolutely, consistently utmost top-notch, deserving of all the praise they've ever had.

The Beatles however were just pretentious ponces.

Top Bottom