• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

What Are You Reading, Again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terry Pratchett - The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents

The Lenses of Gender

It is some feminist book we have to read for Effective Writing class and it supposedly is "transforming the debate on sexual inequality" as said on the cover. Yeah its a load of crap for the most part, and I hate books such as these. Our teacher is a weirdo and when asked one day if she watched the Redskins/Cowboys game, she said, "No. I think sports are primitive." I lost a lot of respect for her after that ignorant comment. Plus making us read this lame feminist book makes it worse.

I'm reading a book with general culture questions.
It doesn't say the english/german title: it's something like "15 000 quesions" pr smthing close to that.

:)

Just finished Rubicon, by Tom Holland. A fine introduction to ancient Rome for me, have been wanting such a history book for a while.

Now I'm on The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene. Something to do with space and time and all that lark. I may be some time :lol:

Kan' Sharuminar said:
Just finished Rubicon, by Tom Holland. A fine introduction to ancient Rome for me, have been wanting such a history book for a while.
I'm not sure whether I should try and read it, because I know quite a lot about the downfall of the Republic already (in fact, I'd say it's one of the areas of history I know best). However, it appears to be quite a good book and will still surely hold a lot of more interesting details I did not yet know. Do you think I should give it a whirl Kan?

Heh so you took my advice Kan? Good to know you enjoyed it. I didn't like it as much. Ciceronian, if you know alot about it I'd give it a miss IMHO. It seems to be a good start but I found it kind of tedious after a while

Ciceronian said:
I'm not sure whether I should try and read it, because I know quite a lot about the downfall of the Republic already (in fact, I'd say it's one of the areas of history I know best). However, it appears to be quite a good book and will still surely hold a lot of more interesting details I did not yet know. Do you think I should give it a whirl Kan?

If you already know a lot about this time period you will be much better served by reading academic level works. Rubicon is a popular history that doesnt offer much for the person already familiar with place and age.

Garyg:

garyg said:
The Aeneid by Virgil

Which translation are you reading? And do you like it?

I recently bought a second hand translation by Robert Fitzgerald and i'm planning to start it sometime soon.

The Potato book by Larry Zuckerman sucks. I started reading Return to Mars by Ben Bova together with it to avoid boring myself to death. I wish I could convince myself that I dont have to finish every book I started reading. :/

I'll have another go at trying to stay with this thread :blush:

So last week I read "The Lord of The Flies" (by William Golding), for what is now the third time I think. Amazing how you see different things each time. On this reading, I saw much less of the adventure story and society building, and much more of the Symbolism.

Especially the psychoanalysis in it, like the killing of the sow that shifts power from the democratically elected, civilised chief Ralph (The Ego) on to Jack, the savage, self appointed, pig hunting chief (The Id). And then there was the death/murder of Piggy (The Super Ego). Man, that was really sad :cry:. Golding's style is so subtle and easy, yet very hardhitting.

I also saw the War on Terror in it, with one leader preying on the boys' innate fear of 'the beast', The Lord of The Flies itself, in order to encourage a savage hunter's lifestyle, and the other trying to remind them of a common mission, their capacity for reason and promoting open debate with democratic ideals. Also, having seen 'Lost' fairly recently, I thought that would bring an interesting angle to the 'stuck on a island story'. But it didn't :lol:
Spoiler :
The fact they were ultimately saved from their ensuing "boy's war" by a British Warship, was a beautiful twist.

Whilst reading that, I've also been reading somemore excellent texts left kicking around from previous studies. This one's called "Narrative and Ideology" by Jeremy Tambling. It's on the nature of narrative, how we are surrounded by stories just about everywhere we look and a human's (seemingly) innate need for a narrative structure to understand just about anything.

It goes on to examine what kinds of narratives are conveyed (the ideologies), plus why and how. It suggests such things as: Even product information tells you a story, like so many other things in life, and hence an ideology too, based in certain cultural and social values. As Aristotle observed on narrative in his "Poetics": You always have a beginning (you without that product), a middle (your use of that product, typically the instructions convey the story) and an end (the outcome of that use and action, perhaps your satisfaction, conveyed also by advertising). It reminds us that such things as birth certificates, tombstones, holiday brochures, passports and birthday cards tell us stories with a plethora of signs and in that narrative structure too, along with news, literature, film and so on. I might start a thread on this sometime soon. It's really interesting stuff!

Next up is some Borges. I'm gonna start with "The Lottery of Babylon" :banana:

John Steinbeck - The Grapes of Wrath.

The men were silent and they did not move often.
And the women came out of the houses to stand beside their men
— to feel whether this time the men would break.

Rambuchan said:
I also saw the War on Terror in it,
:lol:

"Narrative and Ideology" by Jeremy Tambling
It's really interesting stuff!
:bowdown:
I would really really like to get my hands and eyes on that book.

Rambuchan said:
Next up is some Borges. I'm gonna start with "The Lottery of Babylon" :banana:
:king: Borges.

The last book I read was Ghosts from Coasts to Coast, and I'm now working on Carl Sagan's A Demon Haunted World.

One L by some person

Smellincoffee said:
The last book I read was Ghosts from Coasts to Coast, and I'm now working on Carl Sagan's A Demon Haunted World.

I found "a demons-haunted world" too US centered. While some nice principiological talk about validity of ideas, his extensive debate about UFO abductions was boring from my perspective (here in brazil, that trend of delusion never "took of", if you forgive the pun. ;)

"History of Ancient & Medieval Phylosophy" - by Ernest Stere

Finished The Potato. It got better towards the end. The book is worth it for the descriptions of life in 18th and 19th centuries Ireland, England and France, not because of the silly potato story.

Ben Bova's Return to Mars was cool. I'll have to read the entire Grand Tour series now. :)

I started Robert Zimmerman's Genesis, the story of the Apollo 8 flight, and tommorow I'll start the Aeneid to go along with it.

Ahhh, less than a month of summer left to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom