• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

What Are You Reading, Again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C~G said:
OMG, that's the understatement of the century (which is admittedly still a bit young I guess). So anyway, I read "The Lottery in Babylon" and that was excellent. Gotta read it many more times I feel, simply because there are so many levels to view it from. But I also read "Pierre Menard, Author of The Quixote" and took much more away from that one. Wiki has enough in the way of notes to highlight some of its issues, but I thought that his comment on the social, temporal and intellectual context of a piece defining its meaning was the most valuable point.

I just read some contents on the back of my shampoo and shaving cream.Yesterday i've read the instruction manual of my DVD player.Good read,if you ask me.

I don't understand. Isn't the post limit for each thread 1000?

No seriously, why is it like this?

Brynjar Lia: The Society og the Muslim Brothers in Egypt (1998)

and

Richard P. Mitchell: The Society of the Muslim Brothers (1966)

I´m writing a paper on guess what.

Hey Tycho, don't forget to mention a certain guy called Maududi in your paper.
CartesianFart said:
I just read some contents on the back of my shampoo and shaving cream.Yesterday i've read the instruction manual of my DVD player.Good read,if you ask me.
Like that book I posted about earlier suggested, even those are stories and even those carry ideologies with them that in turn bring various social and cultural assumptions. :scan:

Anyway, I just read another Borges short story from "Fictions". This one was "The Library of Babel". Wow!

Kan' Sharuminar said:
Just finished Rubicon, by Tom Holland. A fine introduction to ancient Rome for me, have been wanting such a history book for a while.

Now I'm on The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene. Something to do with space and time and all that lark. I may be some time :lol:
I read the beginning of that book when I was younger, I don't know why I stopped.

As for I, I'm reading Mutiny on the Bounty, by Charles Nordhoff

Ghosts of the South, as well as The Tower of Babel: The Evidence Against New Creationism.

Last week, I finished John Stossel's Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity and Wayne S. Cole's Charles A. Lindbergh and the Battle against American Intervention in World War II.

I'm just about to finish up White Settlers in Tropical Africa by Lewis H. Gann and Peter Duignan.

After that, not a clue.

Be nice, Ram, be nice.

I've read most of the Stossel book, and he raises some interesting points. Not that I agree with them 100%, but he makes you think.

The Devil's Playground by Stav Sherez.

This is the second novel I've read so far this year portraying Leidseplein, Oude Kerk, Niewmarkt and The Red-Light District a.o., aka Amsterdam. That's just weird.

Rambuchan said:
So, that first one explains a few things, does it? :)
No doubt about that.:lol:
I finally managed to get a copy of "Dante: Life, work and time" by Giacomo Oreglia, a 700 pages work about Dante's liberal and anarchistic character...

Oh, I bet you're delighted with that find! Congrats!

I never mentioned that I read "The Key to the Name of the Rose" a while back. That was another fine accompaniment to a great, great work of literature.

Rambuchan said:
Oh, I bet you're delighted with that find! Congrats!
Thanks. Perhaps I will offer my thoughts on it when I have digested it, it is pretty interesting and controversial stuff.

I never mentioned that I read "The Key to the Name of the Rose" a while back. That was another fine accompaniment to a great, great work of literature.
Yes indeed. But what i remember best is anyway Eco's answer when somebody asked him why he wrote "The Name of the Rose". "I wanted to kill some monks!":lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom