What are you watching on Youtube, right now? Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's dreadfully contradictory, though.

Unless his ultimate point is that's he's talking rubbish the whole time?

Why should I listen to his words of wisdom if his words of wisdom are that words of wisdom aren't wise?

Well...

I know the vid was 2 min. But i could barely watch 4 seconds of his rapid hand movements and horrible voice. He sounds very lame. Also it is a bit too much to have someone speak with this kind of 'authority' and indeed claim that 'wisdom is disgusting', while using as an example some trite false and random statement by un-named others so as to supposedly back this rant?

It is just dumb, in my view :/ If anything, it reminds one of late highschool people who project onto others the thinking power of a hamster, and then go on to claim that it is oh so horrible for them to be there and be met by this. But they are met by the projection of their own mental world, anyway..

That's dreadfully contradictory, though.

Unless his ultimate point is that's he's talking rubbish the whole time?

Why should I listen to his words of wisdom if his words of wisdom are that words of wisdom aren't wise?

his point is that philosophers/thinkers should not veer to an extreme of imparticular abstraction. on the level of universals, any ad-hoc justification can be formulated and any statement thus made can be effortlessly presented its antithesis. and not even syntheses are exempt from blame.

I think his views are spot on and it's something I've personally come to the conclusion of many times prior in life.

here's an example of it from the Finance world, both statements of generalized "wisdom" endorsed by the same guy:

What not to do, right? Buy high and sell low? seems elementary?
http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2010/1...campaign=Feed:+TheBigPicture+(The+Big+Picture)

But nooooooo, market highs are a sign of more bullish times:
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-03-05/no-market-highs-are-not-a-bad-sign

his point is that philosophers/thinkers should not veer to an extreme of imparticular abstraction. on the level of universals, any ad-hoc justification can be formulated and any statement thus made can be effortlessly presented its antithesis. and not even syntheses are exempt from blame.

I think his views are spot on and it's something I've personally come to the conclusion of many times prior in life.

here's an example of it from the Finance world, both statements of generalized "wisdom" endorsed by the same guy:

What not to do, right? Buy high and sell low? seems elementary?
http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2010/1...campaign=Feed:+TheBigPicture+(The+Big+Picture)

But nooooooo, market highs are a sign of more bullish times:
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-03-05/no-market-highs-are-not-a-bad-sign

It's certainly true of economics, I think. Which is why economics has never made any sense to me.

But if his thesis is that any philosophical thesis has an effortless antithesis and therefore is suspect (a univeral par excellence, imo), the inescapable antithesis to that is that he's wrong, and hence by his own reasoning his thesis is suspect.

Or am I missing something?

To me what he is saying is that you arent the possesor of wisdom if you view and understand at any given moment any particular reality from one angle only. You may be aware of portion of reality and its half-truth but if you cant see it in proper context and be able to change your vision together with the dynamics which are string to it your "wisdom" is lame.

^The reason i viewed that person in the video as quite abhorrent ( :/ ) was that he seems to come across as someone that tries to cancel the knowledge others may present, while himself does not present anything interesting anyway. He is no Socrates either, cause if Socrates moved his arms like that, and used phrases like "Kierkegaard is the anti-wisdom philosopher 'par excellence' (sic, dreadful phrase...) then he would have lived as a circus act, and not put on trial and eventually drinking some conium to leave for good the 'prisoners in the cave' :)

^The reason i viewed that person in the video as quite abhorrent ( :/ ) was that he seems to come across as someone that tries to cancel the knowledge others may present, while himself does not present anything interesting anyway. He is no Socrates either, cause if Socrates moved his arms like that, and used phrases like "Kierkegaard is the anti-wisdom philosopher 'par excellence' (sic, dreadful phrase...) then he would have lived as a circus act, and not put on trial and eventually drinking some conium to leave for good the 'prisoners in the cave' :)

I have seen this before. You try to attack some "truth" which has over time lost its force and become something superficial only. Its necessary mental hygiene to prevent one from sterile thinking.

In which Norway gets nuked to slow down the zombie menace. (Also, zombie gameplay that's actually fresh and innovative).

Link to video.

Link to video.

edit: I knew the punchline on that one. Their model went bankrupt. I still thought it was a good idea when I first heard it!

Link to video.

This one was a lot of fun. Some really cool points:
- figuring out how to get additional utility from a car battery can create giant knock-on benefits. A car is commonly not driven for 22hrs per day. PLUS, after the car is retired, a use for 'old batteries' will go a long way, too!

And, the one company has a thumb drive that runs diagnostics and downloads summaries. If something goes wrong with the car, you can detach the thumbdrive to start running dignostics as soon as you have access to a computer with an internet connection. That was really cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom