1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What are you watching on Youtube, right now? Part VII

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by metatron, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Fanny Flambeaux Doll
    Possibly NSFW
    Spoiler :

Birdjaguar likes this.
  2. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

Taking breaks from watchin Sopranos clips for this.
    Another productive Sunday.

Damn, these people are insane.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  3. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

This is first in a series of them.

Kaitzilla likes this.
  4. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

And a singer with a surprising vocal range at 2:14.

Bonus Beth video reviewing Tool:
    Spoiler :

EgonSpengler and Cutlass like this.
  5. Cutlass

6. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Amy's Baking episode?
    Hah, I saw that a few years back.
    32:45 on the 2nd video is some real Downfall stuff.

A flaming trainwreck crashing into a dynamite factory.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amys-baking-company-could-face-legal-nightmare/

7. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

I've done sone reding on the whole affair. The restaurant is shut down and the owner deported back to Israel. He was previously deported from Germany and France for (allegedly) drug trafficking and racketteering.
    It all makes sense now. As soon as he said the waiters aren't allow to handle money or directly input orders I assumed it's a money laundering front.

Kaitzilla likes this.
  8. Cutlass

9. Cutlass

10. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

11. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Birds of a feature, goto gaol together

12. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Doctor of Funk

Tool perform "Sober" in Reading, England, August 1993

At first I was going to put this in the Music thread, but I think it's worth watching and listening to, even if you already know the song. It's a jaw-dropping live performance. Normally I suggest that someone hear the studio version of a song before watching a live performance on video*, but in this case, I'm not even sure that's necessary. Keenan's a good singer, first of all, but he was really on top of his game for this performance. For instance, at 2:42, he hits those shouted notes without any evident strain in his voice. Then at 2:55 the passion in the song actually increases, and he still has perfect control. It never feels like he's stretching. There's a little tremulous quality in some of the lines that I don't remember from the studio version, but it sounds deliberate, not shaky or fatigued. This is also probably one of the top-3 best 'grunge' songs, imo, if you're not familiar with the genre. I like Keenan's weird physical performance, too. Some of the commenters hypothesize that he was high, which I guess is possible**, but I don't see that.

I also found a video of a professional voice coach commenting on the same performance, which was kind of interesting. It seems like she wasn't already familiar with the song, although she'd read at least a little about the band beforehand, so she's reacting in real time, so to speak. I laughed when she said "Oh, it's like Muse." *pause* "People are gonna hate that I said that." She may not know Tool, but she obviously knows the web. :lol:

* An actual live performance is different, of course. There's something about live performances that often doesn't translate properly to recordings, imho. There's only a tiny handful of great live recordings that I actually like listening to. Peter Gabriel Plays Live is one, but I think there's a couple of others. Anyway, there's just something about being there. Part of it can be the quality of the recording equipment, and this recording of Reading '93 seems to have been done very well. I'm no sound engineer, though.

** I heard an interview with the then-elderly Anita O'Day, and when she was asked about her performance at the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival, she laughed and said, "Oh yeah... I was feeling no pain that day." :lol:

13. Cutlass

Safe landing with a landing gear missing. That's a pretty good trick. Once, many years ago, a 747 approaching Japan lost 3 engines due to a fuel system failure. Still landed safe.

14. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Zkribblers love intelligent women. :hug: Lindsay Ellis's analyses of movies, story structures, etc. are jaw-droppingly brilliant. :faint:

EgonSpengler likes this.
  15. EgonSpengler

I loved her deadpan comment on Independence Day: "It is dumb as a bag of rocks, and it is one of my favorite movies. I love it." :lol:

16. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Kung Fu Anteater

17. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

18. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

19. EgonSpengler

A discussion of the new "Rock Band" unit in the recent Civ VI expansion made me think of the famous "Monsters of Rock" show in Moscow in 1991. If you haven't heard of it before, estimates put the crowd as high as 1.5 million, but I'm not sure anybody really knows. It was a free show, and I suppose unticketed.

Here's James Hetfield talking about it with Joe Rogan 25 years later (a little NSFW language).

20. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

How realistic are explosions on film?

(arrived at it via Geekologie)