What do you think about germany?

Can the thread become about Germany rather than kochman again? I was enjoying it before.

Gladly!

Let's talk about "Arbeit" - Work!

There is a common cliche about Germans and how they excel in work. The japanese even adapted the german word for work "Arbeit" into their language for some reason.
And there's a saying about French and Germans that goes like this:
"The French are working to live while the Germans are living to work."

As I german I can only say that there are all kinds of people. I really don't know different.
To give an example from a large manufacturing coorporation I worked with, I can only say that people go to work in the morning, everyone knows his duties and does them and if something doesn't work as it should then you either fix it and report it or you report it and then fix it.
It's just work. And it was an american coorporation, too.

So ... is the german worker hyped?

I think German QC/QA departments seem to be pretty effective for the most part of what I have seen.

germans, compared to austrians and bavarians, certainly have a more protestant work ethic. they are efficient, and get a job done without complaining.

that's my anecdotal two cents, at least.

Bavaria is Germany's Texas. :D

Bavaria is my favorite part of Germany, hands down.
Texas on the other hand...

But, yes, similar in their more unique styles... I suppose.

Is there any food the north is famous for? It seems like all the stereotypical German foods come from the south and Austria.

Don't all stereotypically German things come from the South or Austria?

Don't all stereotypically German things come from the South or Austria?

True... I'm just wondering what distinctive foods the north might have. I'll be in Hamburg for two weeks this summer.

True... I'm just wondering what distinctive foods the north might have. I'll be in Hamburg for two weeks this summer.
Well ... it's hard for me to tell funnily because I am from the Northwest, because often you don't know how regional the things you know really are.

A quick runover after I've consulted the internet for ideas:

Hamburg itself is mainly known for fish cuisine, especially several forms of uncooked fish served in buns as a form of fast food. Matjes for example is a form of herring that's brined or preserved in vinegar sauce. Bismarckhering is a similar herring dish in a marinade of vinegar, edible oil and mustard.

The region I grew up in (Bremen region), it's popular to eat kale in cooked form, usually cooked with several forms of spiced sausages. It's a tradition in the winter months to go on Kale tours, which are essentially some sort of walk followed by a meal of Kale (and lots of alcohol, which I guess is the point of it all).

On the dessert side, you have Rote Grütze (literally "Red Groats") which doesn't contain any groats, though, and instead consists of several kinds of red summer berries (usually always redcurrant and blackcurrant; strawberries, cherries and so on are optional) and some gelatinization agent. It's basically served as a form of pudding, usually with vanilla sauce to accompany it.

The pickelhaube is Prussian, I think.

...But apart from that, yeah, pretty much.
True. Almost all German stereotypes can be attributed to either the relaxed Bavarian beer garden visitor or the overly disciplined Prussian soldier.

Thought of that too, but left it out for the same reason. Imo Northern Germany doesn't have a lot to offer in cuisine anyway.

That looks as if it would be delicious if I didn't mind the accompanying 16 hours of heartburn.

Currywurst mit Pommes.
That's the main fast food item from my region.

Döner Kebab.
And this turkish not-burger has nearly kicked the Currywurst from it's #1 throne.

Top Bottom