What do you think about germany?

The best food in Germany is döner. Currywurst is ok but it's about the same quality as McDonalds most of the time.

Blasphemy!
But it really depends on where you get your food from, though. I prefer those foodstands where they sell the good stuff.

Incidentally the McDoof (popular german name for McDonalds) foodstuff in Germany is of higher quality than in the USA because our laws prohibit them from putting all that processed junk in. Apparently they even taste better.

Americans can check it themselves by buying a burger in Canada. They have to use real meat, too.

Incidentally the McDoof (popular german name for McDonalds) foodstuff in Germany is of higher quality than in the USA because our laws prohibit them from putting all that processed junk in. Apparently they even taste better.
Really? I'm not that much of a McDonalds eater but when I had their food in the US I couldn't see a difference. Same for all other countries where I've been there.

And honestly, I really don't get what the big deal about Currywurst is, too. But I've got quite an antipathy towards everything that's related to Ruhrpott culture so maybe that's the reason.

In Saxony and Thuringia "Döner" seems to have not only trumped the curry wurst but liquidated it. On top of my mind I know one place that has specialized on it in Erfurt. But dozens of Döner places. No different in Chemnitz. In Heidelberg, there was no visible dominance of the curry wurst either.
I think the same goes for Berlin.
Well, surely the Thüringer Rostbratwurst is an important contender at least in Thuringia. No need for Currywurst.

I realy hate that kind of phony cheerful chatter between the news reporters. That's the journalistic equivalent to deepfried butter.

lol. Don't ever watch the news in America then...

I find Germany fascinating! It used to be a loose conglomeration of small principalities and regions that became this centralized nation. I'd very much be interested in traveling southern Germany and exploring much of the history.

More like SEXONY, amirite amirite?

Good point. And knowing (hoping) that there are now natives around: I don't taste a difference to Saxon Rostbratwurst.
Born in Saxony, grown up in Erfurt, studied and now PhD'ing in HD. I know both worlds, too. :D

Is there a trademark on Saxon Rostbratwurst? :p

Today I discovered the Kölsch "dialect".

...How many completely unintelligible native languages does Germany have?! :wow:

Today I discovered the Kölsch "dialect".

...How many completely unintelligible native languages does Germany have?! :wow:

There are a lot of dialects that can be hard to understand if you're not used to them, but most are intelligible.
I've live in and around Cologne for almost all my life and I can understand 'mainstream' kölsch, but every once in a while I'll overhear some old people and won't be able to follow the conversation. This usually happens suburbs of Cologne and not the city proper.
If you're in a big city you'll only hear watered down versions of dialects. Those are pefectly comprehensible. It can get tricky in rural areas, especially if you're in the south, east, north or west.

@Phrossack
I proudly present to you: Aarzgebèèrgsch, [aːɰtskəpɛːɰjkʂ], in proper German: Erzgebirgisch --> native tongue of the Erz Mountains in southern Saxony

Link to video.
My family usually listens to this on Christmas Eve. :)

Some words are easily understandable, others are so obscured that it becomes impossible without knowing them. My father grew up with this dialect and only learned to speak proper German when he entered school.

My favorite word of Aarzgebèèrgsch is Doachhohs (deut.: Dachhase --> Roofrabbit)
Here is a member of this species
Spoiler :

It stems from a time when rabbits were rare but people still hungry.

Btw: The Erz Mountains are the origins of nutcrackers, candle archs and Christmas pyramids. In fact, it is still is very popular to have cnadle archs stand at the iwndows during Christmas season in all of Saxony. But in the Erz Mountains, they are virtually everywhere. It is beautiful.

Born in Saxony, grown up in Erfurt, studied and now PhD'ing in HD. I know both worlds, too. :D
Those are in deed exactly my destinations as well, awesome :)
Is there a trademark on Saxon Rostbratwurst? :p
We make due with cucumber and mustard :p

The best idiom is still Nazideutsch:

Link to video.
(needs annotations enabled for english subtitles)

PS: These are our elite nazi politicians.

I find Germany fascinating! It used to be a loose conglomeration of small principalities and regions that became this centralized nation. I'd very much be interested in traveling southern Germany and exploring much of the history.
That describes much of Europe, actually... Italy was another example of that.
As certain regions came to dominate, they eventually became nation-states... it is pretty fascinating how they went from fuedalism to nationhood.

Just found this:

Link to video.

A british quiz show with Stephen Fry. Fairly amusing. :D

Dieter Bohlen symbolizes everything that is wrong about German pop music or even pop music in general. He has literally never produced anything legitimately good.

Top Bottom