What does a MAGA hat stand for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever helps your clearly burdened conscience. I'm sure your words are of great comfort to those that will be materially harmed by the rollback of civil rights, as long as they don't get too uppity eh?

What rights have you lost? I'm not trying to be confrontational, just looking for factual examples.

Whatever helps your clearly burdened conscience. I'm sure your words are of great comfort to those that will be materially harmed by the rollback of civil rights, as long as they don't get too uppity eh?

Yeah, good thing I don't support those thing, regardless of how many times you accuse me of it.

No, you just enable them at the local level, your hands are totally clean etc etc

Yes, they are. Your hate clouds your vision. You believe there is no such thing as a republican that supports yours and other minority rights.

*sigh* so you can't in a nutshell tell me how your life or worse or potentially worse with trump in office?

Why should she when you can just read this post instead?

Really? This administration has already banned transgender people from the military, is trying to claw back reproductive rights, and is gutting an already gutted healthcare system.

Keep in mind that the military ban also extends to student loan forgiveness and health insurance. Judges are actively squashing attempts elsewhere in the federal government to discriminate against transgender people. The Health and Human Services Department, for example, has tried to add protections for employees so they can deny treatment and service to transgender people.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/06/us/politics/trump-transgender-rights.html

Yes, they are. Your hate clouds your vision. You believe there is no such thing as a republican that supports yours and other minority rights.

Because voting GOP in any instance is a direct attack against minority rights and their advancement, Like i'm sorry that isn't palatable or "politically correct" for me to say but it's true.

You cannot claim to be an ally whilst you vote for the same people literally doing the oppression on a legal and state level.

It's like you take issue with people holding your actions to account (even voting), which fine you can hold that view but i and many others don't.

There was always plenty that sucked, Birb. There were always things that were good. There wasn't "one" Christianity in the 50s. Oversimplifying works all directions. The 50s probably had a lot more night screamers. A price of actual, momentary, greatness. The slogan isn't new, nor is its implication that something, currently, isn't great. Now - where we take that implication is where all the meat is. "It's the brown people" is, unfortunately, the idiot's take. "They all think it's the brown people" is, unfortunately, also the idiots' take.
That is my point. So much of the bad in the 50s and 60s was hidden, not talked about, and ignored, so those suffering suffered in silence or screamed at night. That is what appeals to the boomers who buy MAGA hats. Everything looked so perfect on the surface. That is what they want to return to. America #1 in the world, no trouble at home, everyone knowing their place and following the rules. Civil rights, broke that system, music broke that system, hippies broke that system, Vietnam broke that system, feminism broke that system. Half the boomers broke that system. The scab was pulled off and it still hurts for many boomers.

This is the same party that has fought tooth and nail on every social issue, using minorities collectively as a punching bag in a culture war to scare and frighten boomers, don't tell me that somehow you can vote or support the GOP without having your hands dirtied by that filth, it's disengenuous as hell and insulting to those that lost their lives under the rule of a party that viewed them as literal sub-human trash to be left to die.

There are generations of people that should be alive today but aren't because Reagan and his fellow ghouls thought AIDS/HIV was sent down by god or some horsehocky to punish the queers, like don't give me this bullfeathers about republicans supporting minorities, this is in living memory!

Spoiler :

Where have they apologised or acknowledged their mistakes? Where is their contrition or good faith attempts to ameliorate the damage done to minorities? At least the Democrats are being pushed to that direction, the GOP still can't agree whether SSM is even okay, nevermind their open courting of white supremacists.

The answer is no where and they never will whilst people still make excuses for them.

Last edited:
Let's put it this way, if I see some chud in one in this country is a fair bet they're at least white supremacist adjacent. It's a political troll move.

Maybe not everyone who proudly wears one is consciously and explicitly in favour of white supremacy (even if a lot of their politics is marinated in racism in coded subtexual terms). But what we can say is Trump imagery is certainly real bloody popular among those who are outright fash and white supremacist. And those people do know their own.

Last edited:
I find it ironic that on the front page we also have a post that begins with this:

We have on this very forum the same users condemning make america great slogans wishing to reverse course of economic policy back to an era when wages were rising.
MAGA and 10 years of economic growth are not connected. To begin, Trump hates Obama and would never claim any part of those first 7 years of that growth. Trump believes it all happened in his three years. Trump would like to also claim the stock market rise, but he has to be careful or if it crashes, he will get that too. MAGA is cultural and not economic.

Trump is an aging boomer. All of his experience and cultural affectations date back 40 to 60 years. His father succeeded in that golden age of white man rule and Trump brought those sensibilities forward in the 80s and 90s. Twitter is is only modern habit.

That is my point. So much of the bad in the 50s and 60s was hidden, not talked about, and ignored, so those suffering suffered in silence or screamed at night. That is what appeals to the boomers who buy MAGA hats. Everything looked so perfect on the surface. That is what they want to return to. America #1 in the world, no trouble at home, everyone knowing their place and following the rules. Civil rights, broke that system, music broke that system, hippies broke that system, Vietnam broke that system, feminism broke that system. Half the boomers broke that system. The scab was pulled off and it still hurts for many boomers.

And the pulling off of the scab has apparently not even been that effective.

Relevant anecdote:

Spoiler :
I live a couple miles from a recognized and documented red line district.

The passage of the fair housing act, which said that discrimination based on race was not legal in regards to deciding who could buy or rent a house, didn't really do much of anything because the federal government made no particular effort to enforce it. In fact they had no real idea how to go about enforcing it, if they had the inclination. If my dad quietly approached the neighbor who was selling their house and said "I don't want some _____ neighbors. You wouldn't do something like that to us, would you?" and the long time neighbor promised that even if the _____ made an offer they'd find a reason to turn it down, who was really going to be the wiser? Local realtors knew there was no point in showing certain properties to certain buyers. Local bank loan officers were not inclined to fund loans that "many customers of the bank would find objectionable." But at some level everyone knew that if there was some sort of complaint to the feds it could cause a problem, so realtors couldn't just say "no home here for you, ______."

Enter the red line districts. Two areas in the valley were designated, based on there being basically no one living in them, as good places for realtors to show property to 'challenging' buyers. Outside city limits, so the local city government could legitimately say "of course we don't extend any services there," and out in the wilderness that LA County considered to be too far from LA to matter, these property owners were basically left to their own devices.

If you want to build on this property you bought, good luck. Trek down to Van Nuys and pay the fees and maybe you get a permit, eventually, but you can count on every required inspection being a months long delay before an inspector gets out there. Of course, we'll be sending one out now and then to write citations for anything built without a permit.

You want water? Dig a well. You aren't in the service area of any of the local water districts.

Schools? Well, you aren't in Eastside School District, we don't go that far south. Try Kepple. Of course they'll tell you they don't go that far north. Maybe if you deliver your kids to school they'll be allowed in, hard to say.

Fire Department? That's county, and really, if you keep building without permits or inspections we of course get to call them firetraps and if some rowdy white people light you on fire in the night it's not really our problem. Police? If you want to report a crime just catch a deputy when they are out there rounding up what we call "the usual suspects."

So, last year a guy died. Pillar of the community, coached track and football at our high school and left an undeniable legacy. As a military veteran he came here to work at the local military base...and had no alternative but to buy a piece of land in the red line district and live in someone's back room until he finished building his own house. He lived in quiet dignity with the indignities that were heaped upon him. The city honored him with a certificate of appreciation presented to his family. The sports beat writer for the local paper gave a very nice editorial eulogy in the paper.

But...

Both the city certificate and the local paper stressed how great it was that he didn't "let the hateful action of a few backwards thinking thugs define him." These people to this day live in the pretense that it was someone other than their predecessors in city government, someone other than the realtors and the bankers, someone other than their own parents who perpetrated this systematic crime. They still spread the pretense that it was "some racist thugs," not US. They want to look at this man's son and say "if you were the man your father was you'd not be a political agitator wearing the oppression you have suffered on your sleeve" rather than acknowledge that the actions of this city's government and community leaders prevented him from attending public school.

They want to see the "greatness" and not acknowledge how it was done.

Screw them.

Let me address the Reagan Clinton usage of MAGA vs Trump. Honestly it was always racist dog whistle nonsense. The difference being the blatant use of racist language by Trump. Talking about how dirty our cities are, the criminals coming in caravans, the banning of religious minorities from the US.

I’m really quite troubled by those who can’t detect the difference. Antifa philosophy has a hole set of reasoning why neo liberal types defend this type of speech just like your relatives and yes even you @rah are doing g here.

This administration has already banned transgender people from the military

How exactly is this a threat? If anything, they should be happy they now have an "easy out" to avoid getting shipped off to some battlefield across the globe.

How exactly is this a threat? If anything, they should be happy they now have an "easy out" to avoid getting shipped off to some battlefield across the globe.

We have an all volunteer force, which makes your statement here totally lame. I joined the military to get access to benefits, and so did you. Why should that be denied to other citizens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom