1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What happened to wages?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by hobbsyoyo, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Am pretty much tied up until Wednesday evening
    :smoke:

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  2. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Prices back from my teens in the 70's
    Ford Mustang 3000 vs 30000 grand today
    Gas 28 cents a gallon vs 2.80 today
    Cigs 50 cents a pack vs closer to 8.00 a pack today
    Prices have generally increased 10 fold over the 50 years that have passed.
    Fortunately my wages have increased 20 fold.
    I can only afford to live so long in retirement :lol:

caketastydelish and Birdjaguar like this.
  3. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

People who got into a range of fields have done phenomenally well. The problem is that those 'winners' are a shrinking portion of the overall economy which is on a trajectory to fully bifurcate between a large majority of working poor and a sliver of the rich.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  4. Ironsided

Ironsided Flower of happiness

Yeah, it’s all about you, rah. You are so American.

5. civvver

civvver Deity

Which is probably why my wages went up so dramatically cus I'm in a tech field. Hired in in 2006 for 48k a year salary, plinky dink 5% raises for a couple years, then got a huge promo from jr guy to medium level guy in 2010 with a 75k salary. Since then similar 2-3% raises but every 2-3 years I go in and complain about my pay and get some promo with a 8-10% raise attached like hey now you're a level 5 sr engineer vs a level 4! Congrats! Whatever that means, just show me the money.

6. Ironsided

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2020
  7. civvver

civvver Deity

Definitely. It's all about me. I still don't make enough though. Wages only up 3 fold vs Rah's 20. I need to get on management level I guess!

8. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

you'll get used to it. dozens of pages of discussions, graphs being interpreted, statistics being thrown around, only so that someone can come along and say: "ya know, I really feel like wages have improved".

Lexicus likes this.
  9. Ironsided

It’s kind of cute in an impotent way.

10. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Or maybe it's about the field we choose, unlike people that didn't choose as well.
    The technology field has exploded over that time.

Are you disappointed with the career decisions you made?

caketastydelish likes this.
  11. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Not everyone can work in those fields where wages showed significant growth so what are you even trying to say?

Gorbles likes this.
  12. rah

rah Deity Supporter

There are very few obstacles to working in the tech field. So those that choose not to might be considered to have not chosen correctly.
    It's been exploding for over 40 years so it's not like it's a surprise to anybody.
    If you don't like the field then I can understand.
    Just saying.

13. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I think you might be downplaying the role of luck in getting into lucrative fields and over-emphasizing individual choice and merit. We had this same back and forth not long ago where I pointed out the less successful members of my class cohort who did everything right to break into tech and wound up doing plumbing design at a fraction of their market value. And all that's before making consideration for things like where people are born or outright white privilege.

Gorbles likes this.
  14. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Nevermind the fact that logistically, you can't have everyone in the country working in tech (whatever counts as tech, here). At some point, however booming it might be considered to be, you're going to reach saturation. It's not a solution for the entire workforce of a country.

Socrates99 and Hygro like this.
  15. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Never said it was. But there are opening in a lot places.
    Not that long ago I hired a guy I met at a gaming site who was working on fixing Colonization. He was a book store manager at the time.
    I hired him as a dev and now he makes 6 figures. You may say luck but I say grabbing the opportunity.

16. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

If we take the capitalists who run tech at face value, we've run out of qualified workers and have to import more. Obviously, we have not run out of people so if it were purely market forces at work, we'd expect people to get trained and fill the jobs. Unfortunately it's not that simply. College is expensive and the tech industry is geographically clustered rather than spread evenly throughout the country. It's also dominated by rich white guys which has discriminatory aspects even if they are unintentional.

Yeah sure, luck is easily capitalized by those who can capitalize on it. That's inherent to the concept. But it's still random luck at the root and is not something that an economy should be based on. I covered this in our last exchange as well. Some of my less fortunate colleagues did not happen to go to the same conference I went to where recruiters snatched me up. Instead they went to other conferences where the recruiters had a paltry showing. No way any of us could have predicted that and it had a huge difference in our workforce outcomes.

And not everyone is in a position to capitalize on lucky breaks either.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Gorbles likes this.
  17. rah

rah Deity Supporter

At our global company, IT is one of the few departments where minorities are well represented. Most companies that is limited to HR and mail processing. OF course, needless to say, in many of our countries, the white guy is the minority. :lol:

18. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

No rah, you are quite smart enough to understand that an economy and a nation cannot be solely composed of techbros and finance bros, so this "just pick a lucrative field" is a silly attempt to blame individual choice for a structural problem.

19. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Not saying it's the solution to everything. But, currently there's a shortage of qualified people in the field.
    It's not that hard to get qualified. (come on, I'm qualified and I'm not that smart)
    So yeah, I can blame some individuals choices.
    But a do agree there are some basic structural problems in many fields.
    But I say the same thing about many trade jobs. Demand is very high for well paying positions yet people are ignoring them by claiming that that type of work is beneath them.

20. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Okay, so what happens if more and more people go into tech? It will create a surplus of qualified people and drive wages down. Taking the idea to its logical extreme, society and economy collapse as everyone goes into tech and finance leaving no one to work in other fields like garbage collection and teaching.

You are applying micro thinking to a macro problem. Just stop.