What is the Longest word in your language?

This thread is for real languages only. Constructed languages for your silly fantasy world don't count. :shake:
Aotearoa is a silly fantasy world? :(

Google gives me these interesting results:

Kindercarnavalsoptochtvoorbereidingswerkzaamhedencomitéleden (60)
It means members of a comite for preparations of the children's carnaval parade.

wettelijkeaansprakelijkheidsverzekering (39)
Is the longest word in the dictionary. It means obligatory liability insurance.

Another commonly used one is elektriciteitsproductiemaatschappij (35), electricity producing company.

English is not a German offspring.

It's a Germanic language, so you could call it a Proto-Germanic offspring. :) German is just another end of the same root, English did not develop out of German, but out of a common ancestor with German. :)

It's a Germanic language, so you could call it a Proto-Germanic offspring. :) German is just another end of the same root, English did not develop out of German, but out of a common ancestor with German. :)
OK, I'm pretty sure you're right about this. Proto-Germanic was the word I was searching for. :)

The longest Finnish word that is actually used is lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas, which means "technical warrant officer trainee specialized in aircraft jet engines". The word is used in Finnish Air Force.

In portuguese we can't lump a bunch of words together, because, well, it is not a barbarian language.

Are you Latin descendants still mad about the collapse of the Roman Empire?

We've apologized for that already!

Are you Latin descendants still mad about the collapse of the Roman Empire?

We've apologized for that already!

Nah, only we and a handful of select others still call ourselves Roman, so the other wannabes don't have the right to be mad! :p

Spoiler :
:joke:

The longest French word is "anticonstitutionnellement", which means "anti-constitutionally" and is only 25 letters long.
Well, actually "anticonstitutionnellement" is not the longest word. It has 25 letters, while alphabet has 26.

No it isn't. It definitely isn't the longest, and I don't think it even counts as English, or as a real word. Claiming there is nothing longer than that is just pandering to those with hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia.

The longest French word is "anticonstitutionnellement", which means "anti-constitutionally" and is only 25 letters long.

German is "Lebensmittelzuschusseinstellungskommissionsvorsitzender" or chairman of the commission for the introduction of food supply rationing, but since you can create infinitely long words in German, it doesn't really count.

Alexanderquellenforcshungsgeschichte
, meaning "History of Alexander [the Great] Source Studies" must be a contender as well, but as you noted, German allows for infinitely long compound words.

Well, actually "anticonstitutionnellement" is not the longest word. It has 25 letters, while alphabet has 26.

Then one could say "Les Miserables" has hundreds of thousands of letters in it. :mischief:

Top Bottom