1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] What is the worst looking leader in your opinion?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Hellenism Salesman, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Emperor

note, Kristina's design is based on this portrait:
    the artist have exaggerated her eyes- which is why some find civ 6 Kristina to be weird. It was weird, to begin with.

2. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Prince

The dialect he is trying to speak makes him sound like an SNL parody. They might as well have had Michael Myers be the VA

Kristina pretty much sets off all my Stalker Girl red flags and I reflexivly wipe out Sweden before she starts sitting in her car outside my house all night

Zaarin and Hellenism Salesman like this.
  3. Finvola

Finvola Where's my pie?

Kristina reminds me of one of my RL friends. I'm not calling my friend ugly and I don't think she is, by the way. :lol: I think that's probably why I don't see Kristina as ugly as people make her out to be. She's certainly goofy and quirky but I wouldn't call her ugly.

Alexander on the other hand--besides the things that people have already mentioned, I think he has a massive head that's too big for his body. Not quite like ET's lollipop head though.

4. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I had a friend in college who looked uncannily like Anna Popplewell. I had the biggest crush on her (my friend, not Anna Popplewell :p )...

True in both cases, but I think Menelik wins in the "head too big for body" category.

679x and Hellenism Salesman like this.
  5. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Emperor

She reminds me of my old history lecturer.

6. BD123

BD123 Chieftain

Philip II of Spain also bugs me. His animations are very cartoony like many of the base game leaders. He also looks nothing like Sofonisaba's portrait of him and that's a great work that's literally in the game lol. Nor does he act like what most chroniclers at the time said he would. The wikipedia uses some Venetian ambasador's words who describes him as courteous and gracious in mannerism as opposed to the "I just called your entourage heretics oopsies" man in game.

I remember way back in the days of initial release someone on here said Philip was speaking with a Mexico-accented Spanish, which is hilarious bc Firaxis in all of their games exclusively uses Spain Spanish for translation when you switch the game over. Even in XCOM all the soldiers that speak Spanish are using like Madrid accents and slang, likewise the announcer and narrator in Civ 5 and 6 is also a Spaniard when the game is set to Spanish. I can't tell for sure if Philip is using Mexican Spanish or not bc Philip rarely pops up as an AI for me, and when he does I skip through his introduction bc his animations annoy me lol.

7. Zaarin

Yeah, his "d'Artagnan played by Antonio Banderas" routine is obnoxious. The man was a scholarly intellectual who reportedly suffered from pretty severe depression, and Civ6 has him frolicking around like some kind of Inquisitorial Musketeer.

Disclaimer: I don't speak Spanish. However, Philip has pretty noticeable ceceo so if he's not speaking castellano he's at least affecting it.

BD123 likes this.
  8. BD123

BD123 Chieftain

I know an ok amount of Spanish and studied in Madrid for a bit, but I'm mostly a reader and writer in Spanish as opposed to a listener and speaker. Philip in game gives me the impression he's doing the Spain accent, and it was only once that I saw someone say he was speaking with a Mexico accent. But I agree that he must be affecting it, his accent isn't as clear-cut to me personally as like the little XCOM guys screaming "thinco por thinco" or the civ announcer saying "thivilithion" but I was always a bad listener anyhow lol

Hellenism Salesman and Zaarin like this.
  9. Abaxial

Abaxial King

I find him so stereotypical as to be almost offensive. I half expect him to launch into a World of Warcraft spiel of "Finest wires in the land!".

Hellenism Salesman and Zaarin like this.
  10. Piranga

Piranga Warlord

For me its the texture of his face. Way to smooth, not a single wrinkle. Combined with the grey hair and I'm not sure if he's supposed to be real young, greying prematurely. Or real old with just an amazing skin care routine.

One leader that really gets to me is Shaka. The angle of his side/back muscles is so weird I can't help but to see it right away.

679x, Hellenism Salesman and Zaarin like this.
  11. Zaarin

Yeah, this is a common problem between both Kublai and Basil, though in my opinion Basil looks like a young man with an old man's beard glued on his face while Kublai just looks plastic.

Yes, Shaka looks sculpted, and by sculpted I mean literally sculpted of stone. He looks like he could literally cut you with his muscles. :lol:

12. 7daysofwar

7daysofwar Chieftain

I agree with this one, his backmuscle feels so unnatural big and feel wrongly placed >.>, it was always the leader I questioned the most.

13. JR Magallanes

JR Magallanes Chieftain

hated Shaka

loooved Kupe ;)

14. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I fully believe they based his look off of this statue of him in London, which might explain things.
    Spoiler :

15. Zaarin

Guys, you forgot that statues are made of stone, but humans are made of soft and squishy flesh. :mischief:

16. Piranga

Piranga Warlord

This area is the part that always catches my eye. It looks like some sort of goiter on his back.

The rest of Shaka looks like a statue, but I'm fine with that.

679x, AriaLyric, Kjimmet and 3 others like this.
  17. AriaLyric

AriaLyric Nonbinary | Peaceful Builder Vietnam & Māori Main

Yep, that's exactly what i was talking about with the disconcertingly massive lats. Apparently there are some bodybuilders out there who actually have that sort of build but I'm pretty sure from a quick google search that it's widely seen as extremely imbalanced to have lats that wide and also have relatively tame (for bodybuiling standards) muscle sizes everywhere else. And I agree, it just doesn't look right.
    It just ends up looking like he's got webbed armpits like a flying squirrel. I really don't like it

18. Hellenism Salesman

Hellenism Salesman Warlord

Alex's armor also gives off the impression he has ungodly disproportionate lats. It's honestly part of the reason I dislike his character model- that and other things just look... off.
    upload_2021-3-1_8-27-0.png

AriaLyric likes this.
  19. suedenim

suedenim Chieftain

Mvemba a Nzinga is the one I hate the most, though he might be in the appropriate "love to hate" realm of Alexander as described in the OP?

His depiction fits the passive-aggressive Kongo attitude of "Please let me learn of your religion" accompanied by getting all pissy if you haven't sent a missionary to him even though you only discovered your religion, like, 5 turns ago.

20. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

It's true. It's not my fault that you spawned in the middle of a rainforest so it takes my missionaries forever to get to you.

But since thread is about the physical looks of the leader I don't see anything wrong with him in that regard. He's on the side of looking more realistic. Almost too realistic looking considering he constantly reminds me of Morgan Freeman.