1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What Video Games Have You Been Playing, Part 10: Or; A Shameful Display!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Phrossack, Jan 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaryKB

MaryKB Warlord

I love playing as Venice, I think they're my favorite civilization. I like playing my single player games on Duel maps with 22 civilizations, you get a lot of crazy things happening! Germany started off right beside me and couldn't build a city, so I enslaved them and made their settler work to build my farms, mines, quarries, and camps, lol. I know Rome's conquered two players, and everyone hates them. So I'm thinking soon I might get my Frigates and go and liberate Kyoto and conquer Rome, I love how you can do that and everyone will love you. I'll try for Science victory, I'll go for Freedom and get my tenet where I can buy spaceship parts.

I've never played Diablo 2, but I played Diablo 3 with my ex boyfriend, and I also played by myself. I had a Wizard who could have these like laser beams she could just spin around and destroy everything with. I also played Torchlight, I loved that one especially because I had all these spells for Skeletons and Zombies and such. I think I could summon about twenty of them or so, and I just sent them in to do all my work for me, and I stood back with my rifle and sort of picked things off. And I loved my little pet who I could send back to sell my items! I tried Torchlight 2 but it just didn't feel the same, I also didn't get very far in Titan Quest or Grim Dawn.

Do you feel Path of Exile is the right game for me? I don't like doing a lot of work, I play games mostly just for enjoyment and to have fun. Like as an example I love games like Civilization but I really didn't like Europa Universalis, and I love Dragon Age but not Pillars of Eternity or Divine Divinity. I'm downloading Path of Exile on Steam right now.

Is Steam supposed to use like 99% of my internet when I'm downloading a game? It's like I can barely do anything else on the internet right now ...

Dachs likes this.
  2. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

You referring to Divinity: Original Sin? Because Divine Divinity is a really old game.

3. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

Yes. But you can set a bandwidth cap in the settings. Otherwise it'll just cripple the internet for everyone. :lol:

4. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

That sounds...terrible.
    I almost always play the lagest map size my PC can handle in the current Civ iteration with the default number of civs because I prefer to expand peacefully (after I rush my nearest neighbor of course) and the AI tends to found cities in suboptimal locations.
    Except when I'm playing Venice.

Path of Exile and Grim Dawn are the two best games in the genre in my opinion. I never really liked Torchlight and Titan Quest was good but badly balanced. I really hated the boss fights,

Birdjaguar likes this.
  5. Samez

Samez ION GUNNER

In poe you can play quite complex builds which require a lot of planning ahead.
    If you just want to play without too much planning I would recommend to go for an elemental damage caster build (Armageddon- or Stormbrand or something like that).

Birdjaguar likes this.
  6. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

It does take effort to build a character to get yellow and red maps, and ranged guys are the easiest. I only play "hit them in the face with a sword or ax" melee and it took me a number of characters to get where I could do red maps. My goal each league is level 90.

7. Samez

Samez ION GUNNER

Also the mechanics behind elemental damage and Mana (regeneration) are obvious enough for not having to reskill half your choices.

8. MaryKB

MaryKB Warlord

Oh, no! You'd be surprised how much fun you can have this way! You get a smaller world, so you have an easier time moving your military around, and since everyone's small and crammed in next to each other, you see lots and lots of tension and many small scale wars. Many civilizations only have their capital, and you'll see a few manage to build a second city, and maybe one or two lucky ones will have three cities. And I'm always seeing civilizations being conquered (like in my game Rome defeated Japan and Assyria), and really fun world wars! I really like playing with just a couple cities, and I love how much political dealings happen in my games :queen:

So I've totally destroyed Rome .. I liberated Kyoto and now Japan loves me, and I took Rome. And pretty much everyone's at war with him, so I'm much beloved and no one feels I'm a warmonger.

Here's my fleet engaging against Augustus' navy:

20190126171437_1.jpg

And here's my world when I saved, I have everything explored, and you can see Boudica going to finish him off! :)

20190126174530_1.jpg

And thank you @Birdjaguar for helping me get started in Path of Exile! I'm having fun so far, I have a Ranger and I think I'm about level 9. I've got these stones that let me shoot fire arrows and scatter arrows, and another stone that doubles or triples both! And I love this siege ballista I can use, I love just dropping it down and it does a lot of fighting for me.

I don't really know what I'm doing when I do my level ups, I read something here a few days ago and I think I saw someone say you should go for as much life as you can? I'm also trying to upgrade my bow damage and my speed, but I'm just guessing.

Birdjaguar and Phrossack like this.
  9. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

@MaryKB I'm glad it is fun for you. Yes, add life. Your first build will be crap, but you will learn from it. We can fix it later when things get more difficult.

10. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Rome is mother to us all!

11. Omega124

Omega124 Challenging Fate

Bah, my family was from Naples so I have to shake my fist at this comment. *shakes*

But yeah, I feel like an Italy civ would be very cool. In the past, I actually came up with a very rough groundwork for an Italian civ, including researching a city list and coming up with other details in that vein, in what would have been my first modded civ for civ v. The idea, even, was to try to create a mini-expansion of various civs I felt would have been added (or, at the very least, I wanted firaxis to add) if there was a third expansion pack for civ v. Although, I kind of gave up on it because the friend who was going to help me on it decided she'd rather focus on civs she wanted to work on, despite agreeing to help me with my civs first, so I just kind of gave up on the idea.

The idea would have been that Italy would have been a cultural civ, focusing primarily on the historic Renaissance, but also drawing elements from both medieval Italy and the Rigsimottio. I was really proud of my UB: the Medici Bank. It would be like a normal bank... except it had a slot for a great work of art. That way, Italy would have a guaranteed source to put artwork in, without having to gamble on getting cathedrals.

12. Yeekim

Yeekim Warlord

Playing AC Odyssey and liking it so far.
    The franchise sure has come a long way.

13. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

@MaryKB , how is Venice's playstyle in Civ V (or is that VI)? I'm always looking for games that let me play as a small and purely maritime state that can monopolize sea trade.

14. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

It's Civ 5. They're not allowed to build cities. You can buy city states with Merchants of Venice (Great People) and you can conquer.

You'll want to focus on wooing city states and trade. And hope that you have a good coastal spot.

15. MaryKB

MaryKB Warlord

I absolutely love Venice's play style! And that's Civilization 5 :)

As Venice, you can't build cities, but you have a special unit called the Merchant of Venice who can "buy" City States, just by visiting them. I rarely do that, I prefer using him to make those city states my allies. I like filling out the Patronage civics, so I get science bonuses from all my city state allies, and free great people, and all those other benefits.

And as Venice, you get double trade routes ... which really has a huge impact! I always try to get Colossus, so I get 2 bonus routes, and then I can have 18, while everyone else has 8. You can easily be getting about a thousand gold each turn. I've found no one can really compete with Venice for city states, because you can just throw so much of your money around. I feel winning Diplomatic Victory is incredibly easy, and I'm always controlling the World Congress.

And since you're not expanding, other civilizations leave you alone mostly. You don't have any stress of trying to build your settlers early or worrying about finding land to expand to, you can just focus on your city. When you have a few archers, you can protect yourself really easily, but you almost never have bad relationships with other civilizations early because you're not competing for territory.

If you like playing a small nation with lots and lots of trade ships, you might like Venice! They're my favorite civilization :)

I got further in my game, and I've made a lot of nations angry! I had liberated Assyria, but I later found they have coal .. so I conquered them. And I guess people weren't happy, I got a bunch of denouncements, even after I joined in a war against Austria and freed Japan (again!) I think in time people will like me again, my only real ally right now is Portugal, she and I are both Freedom (Korea is Order and the Celts are Autocracy) I managed to get my world religion and world ideology passed, so I'm trying to put pressure on them. Oh and I wiped out Protestantism, every city follows my religion now!

20190127122746_1.jpg

Phrossack likes this.
  16. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Whenever I tried playing Civilization 5, I kept getting wiped out pretty early. Which is weird because I wasn't too bad with Civilization 4.

17. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

It's not civ unless you have 50 cities.

Morty likes this.
  18. Phrossack

That sounds like my style!

In the Civ IV mod Fall from Heaven 2, I obsessively play as the Lanun just to stop and smell the seaweed, building far-flung island settlements and outposts with no regard for international politics.

In Shogun 2, I prefer to hog an island and make my money from taking all naval trade posts through speed or through what might be called "kinetic business acquisition."

In Mount & Blade: Viking Conquest, I either build a fortune through running trade lanes at sea and buying businesses, or by raiding targets by sea.

Claiming a monopoly on the sea enforced by kinetic negotiations is just my thing now, and I'm quite enjoying it.

19. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

I may be getting repetitious here, but you should try Distant Worlds. Obviously space is substituted for sea, but it seems like your style would fit it really well.

20. Phrossack

I'd never heard of it until you mentioned it, but a quick glance and it seems like I might try it. Is it as overwhelming as reviews make it out to be? I tend to take my time planning and an RTS on such a large scale seems like a lot to handle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.