What videogames have you been playing? version 1.22: What's with that plural?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the link, Lex! Got chased in by lightning, desktop reads it fine.

I guess I should have figured it was complicated. I totally lamed it today doing fieldwork. I can't actually catch or battle anything, but I also definitely can't also keep up a 6 mph jog for 11 hours either, so.... that was a lot of candy. I'll have me an 2x evolved flower thing and conquer the town, muahahahahah!

Actually, it's pretty quiet around the gyms here and most of the people are yellow. I need to give the game credit for the co-operative PvP. I run out of revives, but going through and clearing out the stuck pokemon and everyone getting 50 pokecoins is actually a pretty popular move. Both with the dog and with the players. At least the ones I've talked with!

The Long Dark: Tales from the Far Territory

Stalker, Day 46. My 'speed run' from the Mystery Lake camp office to the gold mine in Ash Canyon took about a week, there and back. I didn't find the unique items I was hoping for, but I didn't really waste any time looking. I did find Vaughn's Rifle on the way back, though. After sewing up a satchel, I made for Forsaken Airfield, where I've now been for a couple of weeks. I think I've got about 40% of it mapped. I figure one of the 9 new bunkers is probably out here, so I'm checking out every little nook and fold in the land.

I would like to announce that Mr @Pelo McSoy has fulfilled his debt in regards to eating his own hat. Credit where it's due.

The Long Dark

Stalker, Day 40 - I'm pretty much done looting, exploring and mapping Milton/Mountain Town. There are a couple outdoor spots I skipped but I found the Memento cache, marked all the car battery locations, killed the Falls Bridge bear and completely harvested all the hide, guts and meat so I'm calling it a wrap. I cooked all the bear meat and left it out back to "dry age" in the shed behind Gray Mothers. I got attacked multiple times by wolves just trying to head back to Milton Basin, so I ended up opting to risk eating some of the bear steaks to heal up a few times and skin a few wolf carcasses before I could finally head back to Broken Railroad. I'm at level 3 cooking now so I figured that maybe i could get to level 5 cooking before the bear meat spoils, so I would no longer have to worry about the parasites. I left the new wolf hides and bear hide to dry at Gray Mother's and headed back to Broken Railroad with all my other cured hides and guts to prepare for a proper journey to Forsaken Airfield.

@EgonSpengler I took your advice and skipped Hushed River Valley in favor of just crating my moose-satchel out of the hide I left in the Hunter's Lodge at Broken Railroad. The moose meat that I left in my "dry aging" sheds were all still nice and in safe edible condition, so I had plenty of meat for my time crafting. In addition to the moose-satchel, I crafted some deer-boots. Unfortunately, all the crafting and skill-book reading I did gave me cabin-fever, so I relocated to the Maintenance Yard, because it has that "outdoor" section/shack with the office-bedroom with that insane creepy "redrum"esque "THEY HATE THE LIGHT" scrawling in blood/red paint on the wall. My clothes are warm enough now that I was able to spend time sleeping in there which counts as sleeping outside... cabin fever is freaking annoying, but it does make the game more fun/challenging.

The moose is back out on the frozen pond in front of the Hunter's Lodge, but I stupidly left my rifle at Gray Mother's when I was trying to strip down weight to be able to climb down the rope into Milton Basin. I'm tempted to go back for it before I head to Forsaken Airfield, I think I almost have to, although I half expect to find another rifle either there on along the way and I would hate to be lugging multiple rifles around. Although... something I've noticed about the game since the update, is that the guns seem to be in way worse condition than they used to be, and gun cleaning kits seem to be either very rare or non-existent (I haven't found one yet since the update) so you get way fewer shots out of your guns before you have to shelve them, meaning that you actually do need to keep finding new guns. My first revolver is down to 5% condition, so I left it at Gray Mother's to avoid ruining it. My current revolver is down to 40%. I am planning on checking the riverbed that runs under the Broken Bridge for a dead body with a rifle that sometimes spawns there. Other than there, I've pretty much completely explored Broken Railroad, so if I don't find a rile down there, I guess I'll have to trek back to Milton to get the one I left. It will be a pain of course, but it will allow me to pick up some of the hides I left, which should be dry by then.

Once I have a rifle, I guess I'll be ready to try and make it to Forsaken Airfield. One catch is that I think you can climb down a rope in Far Range Branch Line as a shortcut if you cut weight, but I don't know if the shortcut is worth it and I should just go heavy weight with gear/food and just take the stairs down to the frozen riverbed.

Does the TLD-engine not give you the option of just bagging/tying up a bundle of soft-but-heavy stuff, and tossing it over the edge before climbing down carrying only the more fragile loot (presumably, this would include the tools and weapons)?

Or lowering the heavy stuff first, and then climbing down unencumbered?

(If I asked this already, please ignore me... :old: )

The Long Dark

Stalker, Day 40 - I'm pretty much done looting, exploring and mapping Milton/Mountain Town. There are a couple outdoor spots I skipped but I found the Memento cache, marked all the car battery locations, killed the Falls Bridge bear and completely harvested all the hide, guts and meat so I'm calling it a wrap. I cooked all the bear meat and left it out back to "dry age" in the shed behind Gray Mothers. I got attacked multiple times by wolves just trying to head back to Milton Basin, so I ended up opting to risk eating some of the bear steaks to heal up a few times and skin a few wolf carcasses before I could finally head back to Broken Railroad. I'm at level 3 cooking now so I figured that maybe i could get to level 5 cooking before the bear meat spoils, so I would no longer have to worry about the parasites. I left the new wolf hides and bear hide to dry at Gray Mother's and headed back to Broken Railroad with all my other cured hides and guts to prepare for a proper journey to Forsaken Airfield.

@EgonSpengler I took your advice and skipped Hushed River Valley in favor of just crating my moose-satchel out of the hide I left in the Hunter's Lodge at Broken Railroad. The moose meat that I left in my "dry aging" sheds were all still nice and in safe edible condition, so I had plenty of meat for my time crafting. In addition to the moose-satchel, I crafted some deer-boots. Unfortunately, all the crafting and skill-book reading I did gave me cabin-fever, so I relocated to the Maintenance Yard, because it has that "outdoor" section/shack with the office-bedroom with that insane creepy "redrum"esque "THEY HATE THE LIGHT" scrawling in blood/red paint on the wall. My clothes are warm enough now that I was able to spend time sleeping in there which counts as sleeping outside... cabin fever is freaking annoying, but it does make the game more fun/challenging.

The moose is back out on the frozen pond in front of the Hunter's Lodge, but I stupidly left my rifle at Gray Mother's when I was trying to strip down weight to be able to climb down the rope into Milton Basin. I'm tempted to go back for it before I head to Forsaken Airfield, I think I almost have to, although I half expect to find another rifle either there on along the way and I would hate to be lugging multiple rifles around. Although... something I've noticed about the game since the update, is that the guns seem to be in way worse condition than they used to be, and gun cleaning kits seem to be either very rare or non-existent (I haven't found one yet since the update) so you get way fewer shots out of your guns before you have to shelve them, meaning that you actually do need to keep finding new guns. My first revolver is down to 5% condition, so I left it at Gray Mother's to avoid ruining it. My current revolver is down to 40%. I am planning on checking the riverbed that runs under the Broken Bridge for a dead body with a rifle that sometimes spawns there. Other than there, I've pretty much completely explored Broken Railroad, so if I don't find a rile down there, I guess I'll have to trek back to Milton to get the one I left. It will be a pain of course, but it will allow me to pick up some of the hides I left, which should be dry by then.

Once I have a rifle, I guess I'll be ready to try and make it to Forsaken Airfield. One catch is that I think you can climb down a rope in Far Range Branch Line as a shortcut if you cut weight, but I don't know if the shortcut is worth it and I should just go heavy weight with gear/food and just take the stairs down to the frozen riverbed.
Spend some time exploring Ash Canyon, and you can get the Technical Pack and one of the unique rifles (and the crampons, which I've come to appreciate). I was happy to have the max carry weight when I set out for Forsaken Airfield, and I used it. You also have a good chance to score some cleaning kits if you explore Timberwolf Mountain.

Anyway, yeah, I've noticed a dearth of cleaning kits too. As I noted in an earlier post, it took me a while to find a rifle on this run, and I wondered if the game was just randomly pushing me towards using the bow. But maybe it's not random. Maybe the developers really did decide to push players to use the bow more at Stalker. I get the feeling that a lot of people lean heavily on the rifle at Stalker. I certainly used to. I only really made myself learn to use the boy when I started playing Interloper. I think my current run is the first time I've used the bow a lot while playing at Stalker. I've found 3 bows and several arrows. I haven't needed to craft anything yet. There's also these new "fire-hardened arrows" that don't use metal arrowheads, which are for raising your Archery skill by hunting rabbits.

Does the TLD-engine not give you the option of just bagging/tying up a bundle of soft-but-heavy stuff, and tossing it over the edge before climbing down carrying only the more fragile loot (presumably, this would include the tools and weapons)?

Or lowering the heavy stuff first, and then climbing down unencumbered?

(If I asked this already, please ignore me... [IMG alt=":old:"]https://forums.civfanatics.com/images/smilies/old.gif[/IMG] )
That's just one of the many things that don't make sense in this game. I could make a long list...

Hearts of Iron IV - SFR Yugoslavia

I've been playing a couple Serbian and Yugoslavian scenarios in Railroad Tycoon III, specifically the Balkans one and the Serbia and Montenegro one. Both good scenarios, the earlier one takes place between 1878 and 1914, and the latter starting in 1982 (post-Tito). They inspired me to try Hearts of Iron IV with Yugoslavia, which I'd never played before. Thus, setting the stage.

May 24, 1940

The daggers drawn were now in motion; memories of the summer of 1914 were in the air. Events had been playing out in slow motion, yet all too quickly. The only sacred rule seemed to be not to violate Belgium's neutrality. At least one thing had changed.

Yugoslavia had changed as well. Partisans led by Jozep Tito seized power in a bloodless coup, and were determined that this time Europe's powder keg would not be set off by some darn foolish thing in the Balkans. Alas, to observers abroad, that seemed to be just what had happened. On October 12, 1938, Greece had declared war on Turkey. The Megali Idea, long championed by Byzantophiles, had found a foreign backer in France, and together they decided they could make quick work of the Turks, expand Greece, and expand France's colonies as well.

They were mistaken. Turkey wobbled a bit in in the Aegean, but the Turks had soon taken most of Syria from France.

Nine days later, the powder keg exploded again, in Bohemia, as the Germans invaded Austria-Hungary, which also included Czechoslovakia. Austria-Hungary hoped to be a power in Central Europe, but would last barely two months against the German juggernaut. Yugoslavia trembled.

Still, Yugoslavia concluded the sidelines weren't the right place to stand, signed Bulgaria and Albania on as allies, and together joined Turkey against Greece and France on February 21, 1939. Thirty-six days later, Greece would surrender. Western Thrace would revert to Turkey, most of the mainland would go to Yugoslavia, and Bulgaria received the area around Thessaloniki as their prize, disappointing local CivFanatics.

Yugoslavia was not counting its eggs, however, for barely a week after the intervention in Greece, on March 1st, Italy declared war on Albania, soon thereafter landing an amphibious force in Turkey from Rhodes. With forces busy in Greece, helping Turkey against Italy, defending the Adriatic ports, and on the Yugoslav-Italian border, Belgrade made the decision to leave the border with Germany completely undefended.

You can probably predict where this is going... but no, Germany did not join Italy in the invasion, for they had declared war on Luxembourg, and were busy defending the Siegfried Line against French counter-attacks. It would not be until October 5th, demanding Slovenia, that Germany crossed the now lightly-defended border.

Croatia was soon mostly lost, and Slovenia had to be ceded to avoid encirclement, but with all hands put on deck, and recruits-in-training rushed to the lines, the Germany attack was slowed near the Sava. Few expected Yugoslavia to last long after Austria-Hungary's collapse, but days of survival became weeks, which became months. Germany was stronger on paper, but the Yugoslavs had the morale advantage defending their homeland. As the fresh recruits improved their skills, the price Germany paid per meter of land soared.

Then, in March of 1940, Germany launched an attack all across the front, trying to break the stalemate. It was a colossal failure. Seizing on the opportunity, Yugoslavia counter-attacked, pushing Germany back past the Sava, to the Danube, liberating Croatia, and even taking southern Hungary and Budapest itself. Slovenia remained in enemy hands, but the colossus had suffered a setback.

Finally, on May 20th, the Soviet Union demanded Karjala from Finland. Finland refused. The Soviets in turn declared the Summer War on Finland two days later.

But Finland had a secret weapon. The Anti-Comintern Pact, known publicly, was not a military pact per se. But a secret protocol had been agreed to making it a defensive pact should any country be attacked by the Soviets. Finland was a party. So, too, were Germany, Poland, Latvia, Italy, and Afghanistan. The Soviets, and their military allies in the Lithuanian Independent Soviet Republic and the Kingdom of Romania, had bit off more than they expected.

Thus it is that Europe was a tangle of alliances.

France is at war with Germany and Italy, and also with Yugoslavia, Turkey, and the rest of the Pan-Slavic Worker's Congress.
The Pan-Slavic Worker's Congress is at war with France, and also with Germany and Italy.
Germany and Italy are at war with France, with the Pan-Slavic Worker's Congress, and with the Soviet Union and their allies.
Spain is officially in the Axis with Germany and Italy, but has thus far refused to join their wars, most notably the one against France.
The Soviet Union, Romania, and Lithuania are at war with all the signatories of the Anti-Comintern Pact.
And Poland, Finland, Latvia, and Afghanistan are allied with Germany and Italy against the Soviet Union, but have no quarrels with the Pan-Slavic Worker's Congress or with France.

It's like a bunch of countries signed mutual protection pacts in Civ3 and then things got so complicated you can't figure out who's on which side anymore.

And thus we have our strange situation. Poles and Germans fighting together against the Stalinist menace. France and Italy both trying unsuccessfully to defeat Turkey, but also fighting each other. And Belgium, despite not technically being guaranteed by anyone, somehow maintaining its neutrality this time.

Spoiler Map :

1681878562530.jpeg

I've been playing a bunch of Shadows of Forbidden Gods lately. The UI has massively improved since I played it in the fall and is much easier to play.
Shadows is an asymmetrical strategy game crossed with Crusader Kings, where you are a dark god trying to manifest yourself, using your agents to corrupt and divide humanity. Starting feuds between noble houses, plagues, orc invasions, assassinations, spreading insanity through Cthulhu cults, all are tools at your disposal.

The Long Dark: Tales from the Far Territory

Stalker, Day ~60.

I forgot to mention earlier that I'd found a bearskin bedroll. They just aren't very useful, imo. They degrade faster than anything in the game, losing something like 1-2% condition each day if they go unused; 5-6% per day if you use it. It's very warm, but that bonus warmth is only useful when it's so cold that even a fire isn't enough, or you can't have a fire burning but it's not so cold that sleeping without a fire would overcome the warmth of the bearskin and kill you anyway. So, really, a bearskin bedroll is only better than a regular bedroll if you get caught in a blizzard and you find a place to build a fire, but you don't have a piece of coal to make your fire really hot. It weighs triple what a regular bedroll does, and unless you plan to kill a bear every couple of weeks, you would need to carry both a regular bedroll and a bearskin bedroll, so that you don't quickly degrade the bearskin bedroll on nights when you don't really need the extra warmth. So I'm basically just leaving it in my cabin as some kind of weird souvenir, that will degrade to nothing in a couple of months anyway.

Last night I spent a couple of nights camping in the big helicopter, just 'cause it's kind of cool to camp in a big helicopter. I bagged a buck right nearby. Well, a wolf bagged a buck right nearby and then I stole it from him. Then, while I was having my barbeque by the helicopter, a bear came over to see what was cookin'. He didn't bring any beer or potato salad or anything, so I shot him. So now I have a bearskin to repair the bearskin bedroll that I'm not using. Funny how things go.

Committing myself a bit more to the campaigns in Age of Empires IV. Just mixing it up a bit inbetween playing chapters of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Really quite like how they're capturing the historical feel as you play through various timelines.

Last night I spent a couple of nights camping in the big helicopter, just 'cause it's kind of cool to camp in a big helicopter. I bagged a buck right nearby. Well, a wolf bagged a buck right nearby and then I stole it from him. Then, while I was having my barbeque by the helicopter, a bear came over to see what was cookin'. He didn't bring any beer or potato salad or anything, so I shot him. So now I have a bearskin to repair the bearskin bedroll that I'm not using. Funny how things go.

At least he brought some steaks, right?

Spend some time exploring Ash Canyon, and you can get the Technical Pack and one of the unique rifles (and the crampons, which I've come to appreciate). I was happy to have the max carry weight when I set out for Forsaken Airfield, and I used it. You also have a good chance to score some cleaning kits if you explore Timberwolf Mountain.

Anyway, yeah, I've noticed a dearth of cleaning kits too. As I noted in an earlier post, it took me a while to find a rifle on this run, and I wondered if the game was just randomly pushing me towards using the bow. But maybe it's not random. Maybe the developers really did decide to push players to use the bow more at Stalker. I get the feeling that a lot of people lean heavily on the rifle at Stalker. I certainly used to. I only really made myself learn to use the boy when I started playing Interloper. I think my current run is the first time I've used the bow a lot while playing at Stalker. I've found 3 bows and several arrows. I haven't needed to craft anything yet. There's also these new "fire-hardened arrows" that don't use metal arrowheads, which are for raising your Archery skill by hunting rabbits.
Its funny because The Long Dark players, myself included, have been whining for years that we wanted a sort of official "Gunloper" setting that would ramp up the difficulty a bit, but still allow guns, just with much more limited use/access to them... I am getting the feeling that this update is granting our wish... because thinking about it... I am finding waaay more stuff to make bows and arrows... I've actually already found a bow and an intact arrow, but I am also finding way more samplings, both birch and maple. Its like every location where in the past you might have found a sapling, I'm finding saplings, often multiple saplings in every spot rather than just in some. I've also found 3 hacksaws, but its been slim pickins' on guns and ammo compared to how it used to be. I actually like it better this way.
That's just one of the many things that don't make sense in this game. I could make a long list...
No ability to jump up is another one that springs to mind... so many life-and-death situations in the game that you could work through if you could just jump 6 inches upwards...

No ability to climb (except in the very specific pre-designated locations with berry-bushes/roots present) is another one... I guess you can use the shimmying trick to sort of climb down and in some rare instances even up a little... but that seems more like an exploit than an actual ability to climb... its still "fair/sporting"/less exploit'ey enough, since shimmying can and often does end up in you falling and being seriously hurt (or dead).

Fun shimmy'ing trivia/experience... I climbed up the hill above the cave in Milton that is the entrance to Hushed River Valley and used the shimmying trick to actually get all the way to the top of the cave where you can see the way to climb down. Its perfectly level enough to walk, but of course you can't, because you're at the edge of the map, so you hit the invisible wall. It's funny/cool because The Long Dark is usually pretty good about making it difficult to actually discern any "edges" of the maps. They are all pretty well blocked by impassable cliffs, ravines, bodies of water, etc... such that you can't ever really truly reach any visible map edges. It adds to the immersion by giving the map a truly "open" feel.

At least he brought some steaks, right?
Bears yield a ridiculous amount of meat... the only problem is you can't really eat it, at least not every day because it has parasites. Getting the parasite infection is by far the worst affliction in the game... it takes forever to heal (10 days IIRC), and on top of that, you have to take a course of antibiotics every day, which burns through your stores pretty quickly... plus you lose condition so fast the whole time that you can't even really leave your house/basecamp, so you also end up wasting all your food just trying to get well. The upside is that once you do have a parasitic infection, you can exploit the game's sickness mechanic by eating bear meat exclusively, since once you are infected, you can't get re-infected until after you've fully healed.

It was delicious! Congrats again, my friend!
It was a fitting end for my days of gaming on the old computer that I was finally able to win an OCC in my last Civ3 run.

I actually like it better this way.
I think I do, too. When rifles and ammunition were plentiful, I just never felt any need to use the bow. Similarly, there's no reason to ever craft any clothing from animal skins until you get to Interloper.

It's funny/cool because The Long Dark is usually pretty good about making it difficult to actually discern any "edges" of the maps. They are all pretty well blocked by impassable cliffs, ravines, bodies of water, etc... such that you can't ever really truly reach any visible map edges. It adds to the immersion by giving the map a truly "open" feel.
I agree. I can't think of any places where I feel like I ought to be able to reach, but am blocked by an 'invisible wall.'

There are a lot of places where the geography of Great Bear Island doesn't make sense - for example, places where the route the player takes to get from A to B couldn't possibly be how the area's residents got around the island before it turned into a post-apocalyptic survival game - but while the regions of Great Bear Island don't fit together as they're presently laid out, within each region, I don't find myself thinking "this is weird" too often. That happens a lot in games where the environment is meant to be a regular place that's gone crazy and been abandoned after some kind of catastrophe, where the geography of the level design wouldn't have made sense before the event that broke everything. I remember thinking that a lot while playing the Half-Life games, for instance.

So..., I've beaten God of War. Well, the beaten path anyway. That game has a metric ton of extra content for endgame that is harder and that I problem won't engage with.

In the end, despite the first impression being that the game would be too much for me in "hard", I actually found it easier than my "normal" playthrough 4 years ago. I specifically remember spots that I had to grind the first time around, that were no problem this time. Now I actually think that "give me God of War" might be within reach.

In fact, these last few years I've had that impression in several game I revisited, this being the reason I was surprised with how hard was my second first impression of this title.

Guess I just "got gud"!

Regards :).

Addiction sucks.

1682203448921.png

It would have been better, had not the Ottoman Empire declared war on me when I had no alliance (due to bb). The problem was that Prussia was allied to them, so even when I had 52% warscore they didn't want to give me all my requests (roughly 40%). In the end I could ally with Russia, which joined the war, at which point Prussia immediately gave in.
I was blockading their only sea province ( :p ), and had obliterated the Ottoman navy easily, due to superior numbers (14 capital ships to their 12, I also had a far better admiral) and blockaded everything.
Sicily rebelled in the end of the war, but I managed to put down the 120 strength army (generally 5/3 as large as my own, but obviously weaker, rebel units).

More interestingly, the Crimean war is months away. While OE has no army, maybe I will still need to join and help Russia. The war with OE/Prussia lasted 4 years, which is ridiculous...
What I want to avoid is Italy forming. Besides, I do plan to eat more provinces there, starting with Sardinia (has coal and precious metals, so is a very good province; also easy to defend with a fleet).

Apart from the stuff shown, I also own an exotic wood producing area (two provinces) near Nigeria.

Last edited:
Fun shimmy'ing trivia/experience... I climbed up the hill above the cave in Milton that is the entrance to Hushed River Valley and used the shimmying trick to actually get all the way to the top of the cave where you can see the way to climb down. Its perfectly level enough to walk, but of course you can't, because you're at the edge of the map, so you hit the invisible wall. It's funny/cool because The Long Dark is usually pretty good about making it difficult to actually discern any "edges" of the maps. They are all pretty well blocked by impassable cliffs, ravines, bodies of water, etc... such that you can't ever really truly reach any visible map edges. It adds to the immersion by giving the map a truly "open" feel.
You only think so. With the right tool, that spot on top of the cave at the edge is really an Easter egg secret door to the Hushed Valley and at the other side you'll find a stash of exceptional items no one else will have. Try a wrench, a hammer, or wipe a colored liquid all about to uncover the doorknob!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom