What worries you the most about the Civ 5 yet?

What annoys you mostly?

• Super-secret unit.

Votes: 42 12.3%
  • Weak wording.

Votes: 33 9.6%
  • Graphics (trading posts, hexagonal clouds, etc.)

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Changes in diplomacy.

Votes: 19 5.6%
  • Removal of religion.

Votes: 86 25.1%
  • Removal of espionage.

Votes: 35 10.2%
  • Removal of corporations.

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Expected lack of balance.

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Publishing (Steam, Deluxe edition, DLC).

Votes: 161 47.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 81 23.7%

• Total voters
^ If space and cultural victory conditions are in I think we can expect a mostly non-warmongering approach to be feasible and reasonably well balanced. And if we're forced to think about strong defensive military that'll just be a consequence of the AI actually trying to win now, which is something to be welcomed IMO.

Two words - system requirements.
They're too high.

Who could have guessed what option is leading?....:mischief:....

I already learned what I could completely wrong anout what majority of people thinks here. That's why I started the poll.

Hmm... That's the first time I hear anyone have problems here.
Personally I think dedicated transports aren't compatible with 1UPT, and land units auto transforming to transports worked extremely well in Panzer General series.

Yeah, I think this is good. Building transports and loading units to them was a tedious task. Naval assaults should be much easier now. It's quite unrealistic, but gameplay is more important.

I'm gonna be the first sad to see Corporations gone here (Publishing was my other, obvious, vote).
Not that they were that useful late-game the way they were, but I think they could have expanded on the concept.
- Guilds could be an earlier, more accessible form of Corporation.
- I liked having to go for the base tech (Corporation), then needing another tech down the tree AND a specific Great Person. Made the corps something far more fulfilling to pull off than religions.
- I also ADORED the emphasis on collecting multiple resources, planning out even land conquest for comboing many resources. Gave resources potential new purpose, but then what they did with Strategic resources partly makes up for taking corps out, and shows them to be in the right direction.
- It had an alternative way to use, if you were small and (literally) unresourceful, that you could not get the benefits of your own corp but instead get loads of cash from touting it to the seven winds. With gold having more use now, it would be an even nicer strategy.
- They didn't skew diplomacy like religion did.

I already learned what I could completely wrong anout what majority of people thinks here. That's why I started the poll.

Should I raise the sarcasm sign now, or have I missed something myself?

I'm disappointed that there is so much focus on military and warmongering. Too many of the Social policies and special abilities just foster a military strategy. I liked it in Civ4 that you could concentrate on so many other areas like religion, peaceful building, etc. Now it seems to me that it is only a war-game accompanied by some building and tech aspects.

There are only 2 Social Policy branches out of 10 that focus on warmongering, Honor and Autocracy. There are a few military policies scattered in other branches, but not that many.

I think Civ5 will actually be more convenient for the builder, because you can set up a strong defensive position and be fairly safe as long as you keep it up to date. In Civ4 you had to keep spamming units, because with some exceptions (Khmer, China), you couldn't really defend against a SoD.

Mainly the requirement of Steam (i'm not too fond of making use of a Soft-DRM specifically designed to circumvent the Reseller market) and the DLC model. (which I feel far too often simply boils down to paying more money for much less content than say an expansion.)
I'm also rather worried that they'll use the former two as reasons to lock out the modding community. (so as to sell more DLCs)

Either way i'll probably buy it if it's still good enough to be called a Civ game, but probably not until after someone has released a Steam crack. (even if this means completely giving up on Multiplayer)

Hiding data from the player.
No more visible diplomacy modifiers.
No more visible combat odds.

Also:
I'm worried that ranged bombardment will dominate too much, particularly with naval units.

[And the super-secret unit isn't the GDR??]

Should I raise the sarcasm sign now, or have I missed something myself?

I've started a poll several days ago and the results were really unexpected for me :)

Not being able to rename my cities is really annoying. I don't understand why they are removing that feature from the game--it seems like a win-win no brainer of a feature to include.

Not being able to rename my cities is really annoying. I don't understand why they are removing that feature from the game--it seems like a win-win no brainer of a feature to include.

You can rename your cities. It just wasn't in the preview build.

I'm not sure about units being able to transport themselves, but I'll see how it goes. Removal of religion, espionage, and diplomacy modifiers don't bother me per se - I'm actually interested in the "fewer, better features" model they're going with in Civ 5 - but what is in the game needs to be well balanced. I guess the proof will be in the pudding.

I'm worried about the balance of different civs. Secondly, trade worries me as being too simplistic, and virtually no need of existing. I'd rather trade with other civs, despite the processing slow-down.

Changes in diplomacy. I hate hate HATE how I won't be able to tell why another civ likes me, hates me, or suddenly declares war on me. Vaugeness in diplomacy is a horrible thing to have in a strategy game.

Definitely multi-player is one thing I vaguely do not know anything about in this new upcoming game. Will it be covered by VAC or Punkbuster, or simply neither of them? Will it have a leaderboard or not?

- Steam requirement. This is the biggie for me. As a customer, I don't accept someone else taking control over my purchase away from me, and I don't accept being at the mercy of a computer gaming company (a volatile and insecure business if there ever was one) whenever I change my hardware, and whenever Nostalgia hits me and I want to replay the game several years later. As long as there's no legally binding warranty from Steam or Take2 that the DRM gets removed should the companies go down, I don't se myself buying Civ5.

- Hiding data from the player. It's easier to understand what's going on, and easier to get immersed into the game, if you know why things happen and why rivals like or don't like you. In a complex strategy game, it's imperative that the player can see and gauge the effects of his decisions. One of the main failings of MoO3 was that it hid too much information. As a consequence, it was nearly impossible to understand the game's economy, and players felt that they rather randomly pressed buttons without being able to evaluate their effects.

- Removal of religion. I liked it very much, for immersion (religion _was_ an important factor in history) as well as gameplay (it helped building diplomatic blocks of nations).

- Hardware requirements too high. If the game indeed needs a multi-core CPU, then my machine can't handle it.

I voted for "removal of Religion", "Changing of Diplomacy", and "Other".

On a note, I really don't understand everybody's hatred for Steam. I have not had any problems with it so far (knock on wood) and I really hate dealing with CDs/DVDs.

Anyway, I am still annoyed that they removed the religion feature without making any attempts to improve it first. The only real problems I had with religions in Civ IV is how they were founded and the limited number available. I don't think their affect on diplomacy was a bad thing (people just can't seem to handle the adjustment). As far as the number, I there were so many more religions they should have added and I didn't really buy the excuse that they could only fit in 7.

As far as diplomacy, I think too much emphasis is being put on diplomacy and I don't really think that the flashy leader graphics is necessary. Other than that, it is a small complaint.

Finally, the "Other" that I voted for is, yes, the OUPT. I am still skeptical as to how it will work and look in the game. I really dread seeing France covered with one army and Spain covered with the opposing army. I HAVE reached the point of acceptance, but I will remain skeptical until I get a chance to try it for myself.

Top Bottom