• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

What'cha Cookin' Tonight II

First barbie for nearly 2 years

[EDIT] I had not noticed how big that image is. Downsampled one above, for full size see attachment, only because I have already uploaded it so I may as well.
Looks delicious :yumyum: including the sausages... I'd sure eat them :yup:... now I want barbecue... but its so damn cold today :mad:

Yeah, a little dark. They took only a couple of minutes to go like that, it was a really hot bit of the fire. It was a very thin layer that was burnt, they tasted fine.

it's not a proper bbq if your sausages aren't burnt because some dude just could not freaking wait to throw things on the grill while the coals are still too hot. that is the fundamental grilling experience.

it's not a proper bbq if your sausages aren't burnt because some dude just could not freaking wait to throw things on the grill while the coals are still too hot. that is the fundamental grilling experience.
Quite. I will point out this is not "coals", as I do not use charcoal as I think it is bad for the environment. This is carbon neutral wood that was felled for other reasons.

Quite. I will point out this is not "coals", as I do not use charcoal as I think it is bad for the environment. This is carbon neutral wood that was felled for other reasons.

that's really cool of you. I don't BBQ often since I don't have a garden or anything, but I will look into that.

that's really cool of you. I don't BBQ often since I don't have a garden or anything, but I will look into that.
The problem is that the embers do not last as long in the cooking state as charcoal. The solution is to make sure the fire is big enough, both so that there are plenty of embers and also to make sure that it all gets going at roughly the same time.

I mentioned it with @Hrothbern days ago, today I did it: asparagus risotto!

20210417_143255.jpg
20210417_144244.jpg

I blanched the halves I wanted to use, then cut the stems (not the points) in rounds. Then I put the third quarter of the plants (the 'salvageable' part) in the broth, for further flavor. Then the procedure is the same as usual.

Not nearly that sublime, but quick and easy.

This one is modified from an pepper oriented cooking site, so I toned down the heat. Actual Cajuns will consider this mild.

Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe

1/2 lb macaroni, linguini, or other pasta
1 cup rotisserie chicken meat, cubed or shredded
2 Tbsp oil
1 large onion chopped
1 medium green bell pepper chopped
1-3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
1 stalk celery chopped
4 cloves garlic minced
6 ounces tomato paste
1 cup stock
2 tsp Cajun seasoning
S&P to taste
3 oz cream cheese
2 Tbsp sour cream or crema

Cook pasta. Drain and set aside.
Separate meat from bone. Set meat aside.
Put skin and bones in a sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to full boil, then reduce to simmer. Strain to use.
Heat some oil in a large pan.
Add onion, peppers and celery. Sauté until the vegetables are softened, 5-7 minutes.
Add chicken meat and garlic. Stir and cook about a minute.
Add tomato paste, stock, Cajun seasoning. Stir to incorporate and season to taste.
Reduce heat to low and simmer 10-12 minutes, adding additional stock if needed.
Swirl in cream cheese and sour cream. Stir to incorporate.
Add cooked noodles and stir.
This dish can be done in about 20 minutes
To reduce fat, use low fat cream cheese and plain yogurt instead of sour cream
Rather than seasoning with salt, try bullion
It goes without saying in any Cajun dish, add cayenne pepper to taste.
If you want to go for some smokiness, use chipotle peppers instead of the jalapenos or add smoked paprika to taste

Several Cajun Seasonings are available commercially. This is Emeril's published mix.

EMERIL LAGASSE’S CAJUN SEASONING RECIPE

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

pasta and chicken is so weird to me. same goes for pizza and chicken, really. I've tried it on multiple occasions, but it just doesn't work for me personally. in other news, I got me some guanciale and will be making delightful carbonara today.

There is high brow comedy, low brow comedy, and there is Alvin Zhou

I have seen this one before, and this guy is a very talented cinematographer. not my kind of cooking video, but very well done.

I am going to try my hand at making a welsh rarebit sauce. I'm going to use it to add flavor to a semi-homemade hamburger helper type of dish. I'm using ground lamb for the meat because why not? Welsh rarebit is a cheese sauce that is often eaten on toast that I just found out about.

Last night I made a dessert like rice crispie treats but instead of rice crispies, you use corn flakes. It also has toasted pecans, coconut flakes and we riffed on the recipe by adding white chocolate morsels on top.

Last edited:
Not nearly that sublime, but quick and easy.

This one is modified from an pepper oriented cooking site, so I toned down the heat. Actual Cajuns will consider this mild.

Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe

C
ook pasta. Drain and set aside.​

I feel like you forgot to mention a step in here. At which point is the pasta going to be used?

Catastrophically late EDIT: whoops, just noticed the noodles reference. Silly me.​

Last edited:
So, tomorrow around 11:30 I'll be at the revenue authority offices... conveniently close to a McDonald. It's been almost two years since I last been in one, so I'm going. And now, I have a sudden doubt in me. Thankfully I have the Experts at hand:

What is the correct order? Burger or fries first? :confused:

EDIT: and because Burger King is within range as well, McD or BK?

Last edited:
pasta and chicken is so weird to me. same goes for pizza and chicken, really. I've tried it on multiple occasions, but it just doesn't work for me personally.
I'm the same way about chicken and eggs, they just don't work together for me... other than using eggwash to batter the chicken :yumyum:

So, tomorrow around 11:30 I'll be at the revenue authority offices... conveniently close to a McDonald. It's been almost two years since I last been in one, so I'm going. And now, I have a sudden doubt in me. Thankfully I have the Experts at hand:

What is the correct order? Burger or fries first? :confused:

EDIT: and because Burger King is within range as well, McD or BK?
You've got to eat the fries first, while they're still hot... especially if you're going with McDonalds. McD's fries are nigh inedible once they cool off. They turn almost plastic in texture.

EDIT:I prefer McD's to BK overall, but its really a taste preference thing, because McD burgers are flatiron grilled so they are fattier and more moist, whereas BK burgers a flame grilled, and you really taste the charring, its a totally different taste, so if you are in the mood for that flavour, go with BK. Also, McD's is kindof minimalist with the toppings... a dab of ketchup/mustard or sauce with a sprinkle of diced (dehydrated) onions and a couple pickle slices. BK burgers are piled with toppings, alot of ketchup and mayo, lettuce tomato and sliced onion.

Last edited:
You've got to eat the fries first, while they're still hot... especially if you're going with McDonalds. McD's fries are nigh inedible once they cool off. They turn almost plastic in texture.

EDIT:I prefer McD's to BK overall, but its really a taste preference thing, because McD burgers are flatiron grilled so they are fattier and more moist, whereas BK burgers a flame grilled, and you really taste the charring, its a totally different taste, so if you are in the mood for that flavour, go with BK. Also, McD's is kindof minimalist with the toppings... a dab of ketchup/mustard or sauce with a sprinkle of diced (dehydrated) onions and a couple pickle slices. BK burgers are piled with toppings, alot of ketchup and mayo, lettuce tomato and sliced onion.

Thank you for your advice. I'm going to follow it and go to McD.
It also checks with some advice from (former?) employees I read online about the shelf life of fast food - fries are to be thrown away after seven minutes, burgers after ten. So it makes perfect sense.

Thank you for your advice. I'm going to follow it and go to McD.
It also checks with some advice from (former?) employees I read online about the shelf life of fast food - fries are to be thrown away after seven minutes, burgers after ten. So it makes perfect sense.
If you are visiting USA from Europe, I would say that fast food is an absolute must-have. At least 2 or 3 if not 4 or 5 fast food restaurants depending on length of your stay, because its such a big part of our culture here. Fast food is is interesting, because its terrible, but so, so good. If you come to US and don't eat some fast food, even if its just a layover in the airport on the way to Canada or Mexico... you haven't really experienced American culture. Fast food is our jam. I'd rank top 10 must-haves for lunch (unless otherwise indicated), in terms of really having American fast food as the following. If you come to America and have at least two of these, then you've properly sampled American fast food.

1. Mc Donalds (breakfast AND lunch)
2. Burger King (or Wendy's)
3. (For breakfast only) - Denny's - "Sit down, Diner" dining, but really, still fast food, or IHOP (same) or Waffle House (same)
4. Church's (mock "Soul food"), Popeyes, (same) or KFC (nowhere near as good but basically same)
5. Taco Bell (mock "Tex-Mexican" food)
6. Any Chinese restaurant... literally any... a caveat.. there's certainly some 5 star Chinese restaurants that don't apply, and are easy to distinguish from the standard, Chinese restaurant in America
7. Long John Silver's and Red Lobster deserve a mention as the quintessential fast food seafood places, with the latter being a sit down/fast food hybrid, and the former being pure fast food
8. Starbucks (breakfast, mostly drinks)
9. Dunkin Donuts (breakfast)
10. Any pizza or Italian-pizzeria restaurant... literally any. Again there's certainly some 5 star Italian restaurants that don't apply, and are easy to distinguish from the standard, pizzeria restaurant in America

Thanks for the list. :)

They're surely something to try. Was I to visit I'd probably skip Chinese restaurants (we have many more of those than burger joints and steakhouses put together), but definitely explore the exotic world of [insert city name]-style pizza.

Curiously, Italian forums suggest that McD is better than BK in the USA, but that here it's the opposite.

They're surely something to try. Was I to visit I'd probably skip Chinese restaurants (we have many more of those than burger joints and steakhouses put together), but definitely explore the exotic world of [insert city name]-style pizza.

Curiously, Italian forums suggest that McD is better than BK in the USA, but that here it's the opposite.
Detroit, Chicago, St Louis and New York are all notable for unique and delicious pizza styles.

An 'LA' pizza is just an excuse to throw kale and avocado and random "superfood" veggies on top and it sucks.

I will say, that US pizza, of all types, including the ones that call themselves "authentic Italian/Roman" etc., are nothing like Italian pizza. The pizza I had when I visited Italy, (Rome, Venice, Budoia) are by far the best pizza I've ever had.

Detroit, Chicago, St Louis and New York are all notable for unique and delicious pizza styles.

An 'LA' pizza is just an excuse to throw kale and avocado and random "superfood" veggies on top and it sucks.

Well, one has to commit to new experiences! (Although yes, I'd pass on kale and avocado). Chicago pizza looks to me like it's become its own thing, but it's called pizza because of tradition.
Another think I'd definitely try is to walk into a diner and have a cup of coffee :coffee:, only to have it refilled by a waitress walking around with a pot of it to offer around (this would be impossible here).

I will say, that US pizza, of all types, including the ones that call themselves "authentic Italian/Roman" etc., are nothing like Italian pizza. The pizza I had when I visited Italy, (Rome, Venice, Budoia) are by far the best pizza I've ever had.

Well, it's hard to have bad pizza here, although some are definitely better than others, depending on who makes it.
Can I ask: did you specifically went to visit a village in Friuli or were you just passing through?

Top Bottom