What's up with Islamic Law?

blackheart

unenlightened
UAE fines mother over baby death

A court in Dubai has found a woman who lost her unborn child in a traffic accident guilty of manslaughter in what is said to be an unprecedented ruling.

The Lebanese woman, who was nine months pregnant at the time, was also ordered to pay blood money. She said she had not caused the accident.

The judge based the ruling on Islamic law. The court said the rights of unborn babies needed to be protected.

Prosecutors had argued that the verdict should act as a deterrent.

The accident happened in October last year. The court found that she had failed to keep a safe distance from the car ahead of her.

Several cars were involved in the accident, English-language daily The National reports. The paper says the woman's vehicle was hit by the car following hers when she braked suddenly.

The female foetus died after the umbilical cord was cut.

Dubai's traffic court ordered the bereaved mother to pay US$5,450 in blood money and fined her for "unintentional homicide".

Salah Bu Farousha, head of traffic prosecution, said women in the third trimester of pregnancy should avoid driving altogether to protect their own and their foetuses' lives.
Story from BBC NEWS:

Do we have any experts on Islamic law here? The more fundamentalist countries have an extreme interpretation of Sharia Law, while more liberal ones have, well, more liberal interpretations of it. Is this comparable to Christain/ Jewish laws in the past?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8032780.stm

:huh:
That seems..... Random?

Though the article's only source as to whether the woman caused the accident or not is the woman herself. If the court found that the accident was her fault, I could kinda see the reasoning behind their decision.... A bit.... Maybe.....:crazyeye:

I suppose it's mostly comparable to weird rulings of courts, which happen pretty much everywhere. The case is unprecedented, so it's not exactly a habit.

This seems right in line with Fundamentalist Christian logic.

Moderator Action: Benefit of the doubt given on trolling....

Lets not focus on this to derail the thread.

This seems right in line with Fundamentalist Christian logic.

That's what I was thinking. I could see this happening in some parts of the US...

Salah Bu Farousha Bubba Jones, head of traffic prosecution enforcement, said women in the third trimester of pregnancy should avoid driving altogether to protect their own and their foetuses' fetuses' lives.

Do we have any experts on Islamic law here? The more fundamentalist countries have an extreme interpretation of Sharia Law, while more liberal ones have, well, more liberal interpretations of it.
Yes. The thing about shari'a is that it is extremely flexible. There are many collections of hadith from which to base any given law, and even of the canon or widely accepted collections there are six different sets from which to choose. And even using those six accepted hadith collections, there are several possible interpretations of each. Needless to say, the interpretation that this woman be deemed guilty of manslaughter if her unborn child dies is not the only way to look at it. One generally finds more conservative rulings on these things in the Gulf states and Saudi Arabia.

No, I'm not even close to an expert. :p
blackheart said:
Is this comparable to Christain/ Jewish laws in the past?
Not...really? I suppose Plotinus would be a far better person to ask about this, but I usually consider "Jewish" laws to not have been the same laws as any given state's laws, after the Talmud was finally transcribed beginning in the early part of the first millennium, and "Christian" law, insofar as it exists (canon law?) usually doesn't get incorporated into state legal systems either.

Do we have any experts on Islamic law here? The more fundamentalist countries have an extreme interpretation of Sharia Law, while more liberal ones have, well, more liberal interpretations of it. Is this comparable to Christain/ Jewish laws in the past?

...a court which defines a fetus to be a person is actually consistent with it! :eek:

Damn religious nut jobs. The world would be better off if religion ceased to exist. Fundamentalists bomb buildings while moderates allow for fundamentalists to flourish. This goes for the most populous Abrahamic religions and to a lesser extent the dharmic religions.

Is this comparable to...Jewish laws in the past?

No. That ruling is idiotic in any religion. The last thing in the world a pregnant woman wants to lose is her pregancy. Despite what the prosecutor said, finding her guilty is NOT a deterrent. That's absurd. Scenario: pregnant woman thinks, "I'd sooo randomly cause a car accident that would badly injure myself & others, cause allot of damage & end my pregnancy if I weren't afraid of being charged with manslaughter..." Total stupidity.

I've never heard of any comparable decisions in Jewish law. When a Jewish pregnancy is terminated by a violent car crash, we mourn & move on with life. We don't string up the person who is grieving the most.

I bet she wasn't wearing a seatbelt...

This was probably just a "OMG women are inferior and shouldn't drive at all" thing, like in Saudi Arabia. Who was it that just mentioned that?

What's up with Islamic Law?

justice, thas wasup foo

This isn't a specifically Islam thing, it's a "patriarchal douchebags reducing women to meat envelopes for breeding" thing. We're a bit subtler about it in the west, but the principle is broadly the same (search for the term "pre pregnant" on Google).

Imperialmajesty said:
Damn religious nut jobs. The world would be better off if religion ceased to exist. Fundamentalists bomb buildings while moderates allow for fundamentalists to flourish. This goes for the most populous Abrahamic religions and to a lesser extent the dharmic religions.

What about politically motivated atheistic terrorists like the Brigate Rosse or the Rote Armee Fraktion or the folks who practiced Propaganda of the Deed. Do we ban atheism for having a small minority of terrorists amongst its midst?

Top Bottom