What's your favorite board game to play?

What's your favorite board game to play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Game of Life was another great one. Hard to really pick, but I'd probably go with Scrabble. I used to play with my Dad all the time, who was unfortunately an English Professor :lol:

Game of Life was another great one. Hard to really pick, but I'd probably go with Scrabble. I used to play with my Dad all the time, who was unfortunately an English Professor :lol:
Yeah, scrabble is a really common game and it can be played in many languages like Italian

I used to play Life with the kids I babysat.

I'm wondering why nobody has mentioned the Civilization board game? :crazyeye:

The Avalon Hill version, of course, that predates everything else.
It's been at least I decade since I last played it but the original Civilization is still one of my favorite games. I have fond memories of playing it with my family as a kid.

Avalon Hill's Rise and Decline of the Third Reich is another great one, if it's not my favorite boardgame in general it is at least my favorite WWII boardgame.

Backgammon.

Axis and Allies is fun.
It is but it seems pretty solved. If Axis can’t steamroll fast enough like in 5 turns then Allies win.

I virtually never lose Catan so all my friends have decided it's not a great game. But it's definitely the ubiquitous boardgame of the 21st century.

Probably this
1692452288144.png

Did anyone ever play the Civ 3 based boardgame? It was really fun in the ancient era, only to find that they had some weird rule that all your buildings suddenly reset every era, completely ruining the game and making the entire strategy only about who controls the luxuries.

Monopoly and axis and Allies

RISK
Formula One
Settlers of Catan
Stratego
Multinational
Cluedo
Trivial Pursuit
Pandemic (unique in the sense that all the human players have to cooperate as a team, to win over randomly triggered pandemics)

RISK
Formula One
Settlers of Catan
Stratego
Multinational
Cluedo
Trivial Pursuit
Pandemic (unique in the sense that all the human players have to cooperate as a team, to win over randomly triggered pandemics)

My edition of Trivial Pursuit had an error: "What is the winged hose of Greek mythology?"

My grandmother had no idea why that didn't make sense.

Team cooperation reminds me of Escape from Colditz. A friend of someone in our Star Trek club brought it over one time, and he took the part of the Nazis. The object of the game was to be the first team of POWs to escape without being caught. If the Nazis got to the safe zone first, that player would win and the rest would lose.

What this guy didn't anticipate was that not only were we a Star Trek club, but we were also part of the local SCA - which is largely an interactive, co-operative activity. He nearly tore his hair out in frustration as our respective countries' teams worked together, swapping stuff like wire cutters, lengths of rope, and goods used to bribe the guards, with the idea that it didn't matter which of us won, so long as someone did.

I ended up winning that game, leaving the guy playing the Nazis shaking his head in befuddlement at how non-cutthroat we were.

Monopoly, or what most people call “an argument in a box”.

I think monopoly is critically underrated. It’s quite silly and fun as a game. It is also cool in that it is the only game I think I have ever played that has a literal money system.

I think monopoly is critically underrated. It’s quite silly and fun as a game. It is also cool in that it is the only game I think I have ever played that has a literal money system.

You've never played any other games that use money?

Careers
Payday
Stock Ticker
Billionaire
Life
Beat the Clock (not a board game, but it does use money)
Mad Magazine (the object of the game is to lose all your money)
Gambler
A slew of other Parker Brothers games?
Mayfair rail games

Top Bottom