When was the first time you've had Alcohol?

When was the first time you've had alcohol?

• Never had even a sip!

Votes: 18 10.8%
  • 5 or under

Votes: 23 13.8%
  • 6-10

Votes: 33 19.8%
  • 11-15

Votes: 49 29.3%
  • 16-18

Votes: 28 16.8%
  • 19-24

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • 25-30

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30-40

• 40+ (Wow you suck!)

• insert funny option here.

Votes: 6 3.6%

• Total voters
9 or something. Went in to a club and drunk loads, and lost my virginity the same night to a prostitute.

Ah, so the implication here is that because I do not drink, I must be 'unhappy'. So drinking won't help, that'll just make me more unhappy! Please tell me oh mighty Shekwan, how do I free myself from this horrendous cycle of misery?
I didn't get that implication at all. It's just that alcohol doesn't necessarily make you happier. It's more along the lines of a stimulant in small doses and a significant depressant at larger doses.

As for the other two parts of the post you said he didn't acknowledge, I would say that I bet you'll have friends someday. As for people who use drugs annoying you, well, that's what the sober guy always says.

As for the other two parts of the post you said he didn't acknowledge, I would say that I bet you'll have friends someday. As for people who use drugs annoying you, well, that's what the sober guy always says.

i have friends who drink and i get along very well with them. They certainly don't think less of me, and they usually don't even offer me drinks anymore. Quite frankly, alot of people feel easier if i'm there, at least one guy is sober.

Eh? That's not what my post said. I clearly delineated the advantages of drinking, and drunkenness was only one-third of the total. The other two were covered, and by extension, so was everything in your post: I don't want a buzz because I'm happy enough without; I don't want to make social situations less awkward because I'm not involved in any; and as for the reduced chance of a hangover, well, that is achieved much more effectively by... you guessed it!

I don't know how active your social life actually is, but personally I only really drink when there are other people. Since I don't go out all that often, it's maybe once every month or two I actually go out somewhere, I don't want to just sit/stand around being bored the whole time.

I'm not particularly open or closed to new experiences. I've never really considered having not done something yet to be a good reason to do it or to avoid doing it. In the absence of a much better reason why I should drink, I have no intention to start. The large amounts of beer and vodka filling 2 refrigerators in my apartment don't seem at all appealing.

I said that health isn't a main reason, but is a contributing factor for why not to drink.

While I know many people I could drink with, I generally get along better with my non-drinking friends. I don't really have that much of a social life though so I'm not often out at places where I would drink. Drinking alone seems kind of dumb, and most drinkers I know are not that particularly pleasant while drunk.

I'll probably at least try some red wine or something as part of a romantic dinner eventually, but I'd need a serious girlfriend first.

Oh, for negative experiences there are perhaps two more I should have mentioned, despite not exactly being things I personally experienced. The first is that fact that heavy drinking was one of the main reasons why my father's first marriage fell apart. The second would be what happened when my sister first tried alcohol. This was while she was doing study abroad in France 5 years ago. She despised the taste, and although she didn't drink very much she got quite drunk because of a bad interaction with the OCD medicine she was taking. Then, a guy with their group tried to rape her. She got away, but ended up lost in the streets of Paris for a whole day. The effects of the alcohol plus homesickness (and a very bad host) really threw things out of balance, and she ended up spending most of her time in France in a mental hospital. She had OCD and one or two bouts of depression before this, but was only later diagnosed with bipolar. When she first came back from France she was quite manic, and spent almost days constantly talking very rapidly and not falling asleep. Some of the meds they had her on in France were experimental and not FDA approved, and it took a few years to get her medication at right again. She couldn't maintain her scholarships and had to drop out of college in her Junior year. However, since then things have stabilized and she went to get an associates degree in medical assisting, recently graduating as Valedictorian and the only student with a 4.0 GPA. I know that this scenario is highly unlikely with me (for one thing, I don't take any meds that could interact badly), but it still places alcohol in a bad light.

I guess you just have a different way of looking at trying new things, more utilitarian I guess but not any less valid. Are you serious about the thing about your sister? When I asked about bad drinking experiences that would pretty much be top of the list although it didn't directly happen to you. :eek:

Eh? That's not what my post said. I clearly delineated the advantages of drinking, and drunkenness was only one-third of the total. The other two were covered, and by extension, so was everything in your post: I don't want a buzz because I'm happy enough without; I don't want to make social situations less awkward because I'm not involved in any; and as for the reduced chance of a hangover, well, that is achieved much more effectively by... you guessed it!

Alright, 'cripple yourself mentally' was the druggie-hater talking, so my apologies for that. Although I must insist that you realise that getting hammered was only addressed by one-third of the post. Did no-one read the other bits? :(

Ah, so the implication here is that because I do not drink, I must be 'unhappy'. So drinking won't help, that'll just make me more unhappy! Please tell me oh mighty Shekwan, how do I free myself from this horrendous cycle of misery?

You didn't say anything about legality... judging by the 'first time wasted' ages in this thread, hardly anyone here gives a fig about legality, so it's not an automatic assumption.

But you do make a good point. Let's change 'heroin' to 'eating all those sadistic dishes in silver's recent thread'. :p

Well fair enough then I guess you have no "use" for drinking. You're better off anyways. I never implied that you were unhappy because you don't drink, non drinkers are probably happier on average. I mentioned legality because its a potential reason why someone would choose not to drink, even though many don't care.

As for silver's dishes I'll have to check out that thread. I doubt any have the same popularity of alcohol but who knows maybe someday.

Silver's dishes also almost certainly involve Opium and crack.

To all the people who say they've never had a sip of alcohol.

Why? Because you can't legally? If its not that then are you not curious? Or is it because you've had bad experiences with drunk people? I'm not criticising you, just wondering why. If its the health aspect then do you cut out other unhealthy habits?

I have been legally able to drink for 12 years now and I have never had the desire to drink in my whole life. The main reason for this is that is very wrong for me to be a Christian and to be drunk at the same time. I know that I am a impulsive person so I would not want to risk it by having a drink. Another reason is that I just hate the smell of Alcohol. Also I see so many times people just drink so get drunk and causes so many problems and that is not what I want become. I have had plenty of people try and convince me to have a drink, but I have not budged one step.

I had some wine at 4 at church.

At 14 I started to have 3 or 4 drinks at parties my older sister took me too (I'd call them kickbacks, but they called them parties) I was afraid to drink too much and never really got anything other than a really weak buzz.

When I turned 16 I started to drink more, from 16 to 18 I learned my limits and probably threw up 15 times. (that's out of going out every two weeks give or take)

After that I learned how to really enjoy myself when I have liquor.

Since I've been 18 I've thrown up 3 times and only gotten a hang over once. And I get smashed. You have got to know how to pace your self. For example lets say we start drinking at 10. By 12-1 am I'll have had 8 to 12 drinks. From 1 to 4 I am generally dancing and or trying to bone chicks. So I am having like 2 or 3 drinks an hour. Just enough to maintain being drunk yet sobering up enough so that I still have game. Around 4:30 I may either be home (clearly not having driven myself), at someone's house or out eating somewhere with everyone. Either way generally I try to eat something. If I am at a house I'll just eat two pieces of wheat bread and drink a grip of water. Then I pass out around 5-6 ish generally I am not drunk by then and I know I won't wake up with a hang over. If I get my whole 8 hours. If I have to go to work or class 4 hours later or something like that then yeah I'll have a had splitter. My bosses are cool though, I really only drink like that maybe 8-10 times a year so. I'll even let the know. "hey you gotta take me off the schedule sunday because I am getting smashed on saturday" And they take me off :lol:

Other than that I'll have maybe 3 or 4 drinks at big family BBQs.

Once or twice a month I'll hang out with just a few friends and have maybe 8 drinks in like 3 hours. Watching a game, hitting up a lounge after dinner etc etc.

I suppose I would drink alone if I didn't know anyone who drank, but there is always someone to chill with.

That said, I've never known anyone who had a drinking problem not in my family anyway. So all of this "it ruins your life" stuff is beyond me. I am a full time student with a 3.4 GPA. I work full time as well. There are times to party and times not too. Every end of the semester I throw a big ass party to celebrate, in part because the 2 or 3 weeks leading up to finals I don't even go out once.

I never drink in a bad mood. If I am truly in a terrible mood I'll just end up sleeping all day. I am already a really social and fun to be around. I just get more animated, along with all the other people around me. I am always the life of the party :D I dunno, some people have problems with it some people don't. I just hate that tone people who quit drinking take, as if we all have that problem.

Okay two last things:

Kids, don't drink until you are at least 16. And don't drive. Even if you know you can. Any alcohol in your system at all when you are under 21 and they will take your license away for a while + the insurance on your wip will go up will go up. If you throw up, you drank too much. If you have a hang over after 8 hours of sleep you drank too much. Eat before you go out, something fatty that takes up space. It will help you not get too drunk-too fast and make you have a much lower chance of getting a hang over.

Last thing. I know from Antro lab lab that you get a euphoric endorphin buzz after you do a lot of enjoyable socializing. I've only had it happen to me twice - totally sober. And ever night when I party around 4 or 5 as I am sobering up before bed and remembering everything that happened I get the buzz and I think yeah that was a good night. For the longest time I was like "wth is my professor talking about"

I guess I always thought it was a side effect of alcohol but it's not. (I know since it happened twice on a totally sober night) In any case the fact that it happens when everyone is drinking and dancing etc together is enough to convince me that if you don't drink at the very least before you get married you're messin up. For that matter if you haven't drank ever and refuse too and you live in the western world you are totally fired. I know that If I go anywhere in the world where they use the Latin, Cyrillic or Greek alphabet with just one friend and go out, I'll end that night with like 10 more friends.

I have a wicked bad cold, it's Friday and I am not out drinking. That's probably why that was so long. :lol:

Between the ages of 19-21. All I remembered was my parents letting me have a sip of wine for new years.

The main reason for this is that is very wrong for me to be a Christian and to be drunk at the same time.

Im not a biblical scholar, but didn't Jesus drink fairly often? Turning water into wine comes to mind, as does the Last Supper 'This is my blood'.

Unless your conflating drinking with drunkenness.

There is a difference between drinking and getting drunk. The bible doesn't have a problem with moderate drinking, but it does with drunkenness. Wine is sometimes spoken of positively and sometimes negatively (positively slightly more I think), but "strong drink" is always spoken of negatively, in both testaments.

The wine at the time wasn't as strong as it is today, when it is specifically made to get people drunk. I'm not saying that it wasn't alcoholic (it had enough alcohol to purify water that was normally not safe to drink), but even if it wasn't almost always diluted before drinking it wouldn't be quite as strong as today's wine.

The bible has no problem with moderate drinking, except around people less secure in the faith who might construe it as condoning drunkenness.

I know that I am a impulsive person so I would not want to risk it by having a drink. Another reason is that I just hate the smell of Alcohol. Also I see so many times people just drink so get drunk and causes so many problems and that is not what I want become. I have had plenty of people try and convince me to have a drink, but I have not budged one step.
I am the mostly the same but not for religious reasons as for ones of sanity and reason.

I know this, alcohol is the number one killer and is overwhelmingly the worst drug known to humanity, no exception.

I would rather be dead than be an alcoholic.

I am the mostly the same but not for religious reasons as for ones of sanity and reason.

I know this, alcohol is the number one killer and is overwhelmingly the worst drug known to humanity, no exception.

I would rather be dead than be an alcoholic.

Theres a difference between drinking and being an alcoholic. Also, you think alcohol is worse than heroin, meth?

Top Bottom