[R&F] When will you be buying Rise and Fall?

When will you be buying Rise and Fall?

• I'll be buying it at launch.

Votes: 49 17.4%
  • I'm cautiously optimistic. I'll buy it at launch if the reviews are good.

Votes: 16 5.7%
  • I'm distrustful of video game journalism. I'll buy it later on, if the fan reception is good.

Votes: 23 8.2%
  • I'm a cynic. I'll wait for the patches to fix the bugs and balancing issues before buying.

Votes: 22 7.8%
  • I'm strongly displeased with Civ6 or 2K's business model. I'll never buy it.

Votes: 12 4.3%
  • I'm waiting to hear more about it before I make my decision.

Votes: 26 9.3%
  • I'm feeling risky. I'll preorder it.

Votes: 84 29.9%
  • I'm not trying to miss out. I'll preorder it if there's a preorder bonus.

Votes: 49 17.4%

• Total voters
St. Basil's is in? No brainer. I'm buying. Russia is always my fav civ to play.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I was comparing preordering with buying on the day of release. I'm not comparing it to waiting for reviews or word of mouth. So in my original example, the game can be poor or unplayable either way. If you are going to just buy the game on release, may as well preorder it. There is one exception though. As with the original game, they may let Youtbuers like Quill18 have an early access so we can see their gameplay on Youtube. That's the big reason why I preordered Civ6 because I saw the gameplay, and I knew I liked it. So I can understand people wanting to wait until more information is release and possibly some early access videos.

Well, it could definitely be poor either way, but that just encourages me to always delay buying games now. That is because there have been so many cases of broken releases that it's almost the norm and I would be wasting my time on stuff that doesn't work, and I don't believe on incentivizing companies on taking it for granted. I don't believe in auto-buying anything, and usually pre-ordering the game has had some extras to go with it (I believe people got Aztecs for pre-ordering?) So yes, even if this game was solid (which it still isn't), I wouldn't, and right til now, I don't think this game deserves a purchase at full price. It's not about how much it costs. They should earn their money. That's why I wouldn't even buy any of the crap say EA puts out for $5.

I'll buy it when CQUI has been patched to work with it.

I'm not loving the new features announced. I'd rather they put effort into a much better AI. (One that can be competitive without all the cheats/handicap they get now.) But it will be worth it for the new civs alone.

Sure. I guess if you have better things to do than click on the refund button, I understand. I'm just saying there's low risk.

Well, that's the thing. My original question is "Is there any advantage?", not "Are there any risks?".

Sure. I agree we don't seem to be getting any direct benefits at this point. I merely objected to your described disadvantage.

I will or will not preorder depending on the civs announced. If none of the civs announced in the expansion interest me then I will wait for a sale.

this poll is biased in its options. Already preordered the expansion (on day one). My faith in firaxis is only surpassed by paradox.

I'll almost certainly buy it at launch but would never pre-order without an incentive. Pre-ordering is a disadvantage because they have your money while you have nothing. I prefer to control my money until I have to spend it.

Not risky at all, soon as I get the money together, it is preordered immediately.

Pre-ordering for one simple reason: I have spare money now and I'm not good ad budgeting, so I might not have it by the time the game comes out. I'd buy it anyway, so no loss there, but I do feel a bit guilty about supporting this business model.

I'm a cynic (not helped by the start location issues) but I'll probably pre-order if I find a good discount or they give some kind of bonus.

Civ is the kind of game that I want to play ASAP doesn't matter what, if it's bad I'll see for myself (someone has to, that's where the fan reception comes from). I'm not in a rush to pre order but I will, no reason not to.

I really can't decide. I mean not ordering until launch seems to be the wisest of decisions, at least for people who want to be cautious about bugs and stuff, but I'm loving what this expansion has to offer, and I'm a sucker for new stuff. And just in time for Christmas.

To pre-order or not to pre-order, that is the question.

EDIT: I have made my mind up! With my $50 Steam Wallet funds that I got for Christmas I have decided to pre-order the expansion, because I am loving what I've seen so far and I can't wait to play it.

Last edited:
Pre-ordering is a disadvantage because they have your money while you have nothing.

It's a consideration, but unless Firaxis goes out of business, you'll likely be okay. Or if Steam goes out of business, same deal. I certainly wouldn't pre-order from a non-reputable company I never heard of.

It's a consideration, but unless Firaxis goes out of business, you'll likely be okay. Or if Steam goes out of business, same deal. I certainly wouldn't pre-order from a non-reputable company I never heard of.

Agreed, but I can always change my mind and decide not to buy it at launch.

I would vote if there would be these two options: “ Not considering buying it :nono: until Fall Patch and DLC 06 is released for Mac/Linux users.” And, “Planning on buying it if it is released concurrently with Windows on February 8th.”

Top Bottom