Where in Erebus would you like to live?

I think the downside of the Elohim is that they can be a bit too pacifistic at times. In Einion's 'pedia entry, he mentions signing a peace deal with the Infernals, which harkens back to Neville Chamberlin signing a peace deal with Hitler. Also, the Tolerant trait means that they're apparently OK with their citizens being used to make Pyre Zombies or Freaks.

I'm not sure what's so bad about the Kuriotates though. Cardith Lorda's 'pedia entry apparently suggests that he can be a bit scary and cutthroat if he thinks it's for the greater good, perhaps. His caste system thing might be kind of oppressive if it goes too far, too.

I'd be a lowly goblin from the Clan of Embers. I'd enjoy the freedom and anarchy; but to get away from the bullying Ogre's, I'd go wandering into the forest to tame a big, bad wolf. Then I'd be free! Free to ride Rover wherever I damn want! Firstly, I seek out tree raping, skinny, Spock wannabie's and repay them dearly for shooting at me with pointy twigs, just because I had a crap on the roots of a dormant Treant!

Once Rover is well fed, I return with the spoils (elven ear kebab's anyone?), and the Goblin girls are all over me like Orcish spew. When the moon next rises, I take my last swig of fungi brew, wolf whistle, then thunder off into the depths of Erebus. I seek a lucky dungeon this time, it's fruits leading me to the usurping of Rantine himself!!!
:mwaha: :evil: :mwaha:

Luichirp or Ljosalfar... I love building, but I also love nature...

I'd be a lowly goblin from the Clan of Embers. I'd enjoy the freedom and anarchy; but to get away from the bullying Ogre's, I'd go wandering into the forest to tame a big, bad wolf. Then I'd be free! Free to ride Rover wherever I damn want! Firstly, I seek out tree raping, skinny, Spock wannabie's and repay them dearly for shooting at me with pointy twigs, just because I had a crap on the roots of a dormant Treant!

Once Rover is well fed, I return with the spoils (elven ear kebab's anyone?), and the Goblin girls are all over me like Orcish spew. When the moon next rises, I take my last swig of fungi brew, wolf whistle, then thunder off into the depths of Erebus. I seek a lucky dungeon this time, it's fruits leading me to the usurping of Rantine himself!!!
:mwaha: :evil: :mwaha:

I'd say the goblins are a bit below average. You could be an orc if you wanted, too. They're generally the rank and file of the Clan, so I'd consider them to be the most "average"

The Elohim are probably too pacifistic as a civ, but their territory would still be a nice place to live. They seem to genuinely care about the lives of their subjects. Hippus, Lanun, and Grigori are my second-choice civs.

What is it?...that?...sure you can, why not?

Luchirp are a a pretty common answer in these threads, but look at the diplomacy texts for them. They really aren't the best conversationalists, and I have to think that a lot of this is just their nature, not some facade they only show to outsiders. They're completely involved with their golems to the point where they aren't that social. Also keep in mind that the diplo texts are what the leaders of the entire Luchirp civilization are saying. If this is how the most accomplished politicians speak, would you really want to live among the general public there? It's a nation of socially awkward midgets, and not having to work isn't worth living with a bunch of people who can't seem to speak or form friendships properly.

Ahh! Why do you keep pestering me?! How am I to get any research done at this rate, can you tell me that? No? Then I propose you tell me why you've chosen to disturb me once again. I hope for your sake that it is important...very important.

I rather like the idea of a nation where the politicians don't put on a public facade.

I'm sure they'd be perfectly capable of forming friendships if you just reach out.

I would say the Kurios, Grigori, or maybe Lurchip. Like someone mentioned, I could see Cardith Lorda turning positively savage to defend his people. And they get Airships and a Dragon.

The Elohim would be nice, but on the other hand they signed a treaty with the demons, and then upheld the agreement for a while despite being semi-betrayed before their leader even made it back. They just dont strike me as surviving long in Erebus without the Bannor or somebody chopping through demon stacks to protect them.

Grigori would be cool. Except since the gods seem to very much exist in Erebus, ignoring them will probly end badly for their civilization. When hell shows up, you definatly want to be on someones side.

Amurites would be awsome, but I can see them having a chance of going AV. Then again, when hell shows up a moderate AV nation might just be the best place, and of course, it would be hard to pass up the Amurite's magic.

Ljosfar (spelling?) would be very nice until the instant someone teaches fire I to a mage.

If we can pick FF nations then Scions of Patria all the way. Being partially immortal would be nice, and when they die they seem to mostly just get dumped back into their bottomless catacombs anyway. Plus I think I know who the Risen Emperor is :D

I'd say the goblins are a bit below average. You could be an orc if you wanted, too. They're generally the rank and file of the Clan, so I'd consider them to be the most "average"

Orc's can't ride wolves. Wolves fur is softer than a boar's. And Goblin women, hmmm....

Me 'n Rover make me betta dan any avidge Orky any day! :smoke:
Beware the humble Goblin Wolfrider; ruining perfectly placed new cities since....you know when.

Oddly enough I'd go with the Illians. I like the cold, and with so much stuff that can happen to you in other lands, (hell taking over, getting killed because your shoes offend Perpentach's horse, you make the old joke bout a prior and a confessor in a bar) Living in a nice cold envirornment where you know how to survive seems nice. Oh and when the metaphorical #$% hits the fan with Auric I'd rather have my umbrella out and be on his side. (alright the draw could be nasty but Ive got a 50/50 chance right xD)

As far as I know, Amurites (Valledia and some convict) were responsible for the case of Einion's wife. Come to think of it, Valledia sounds almost as nasty as Alexis or Flauros. I'd still choose Cevedes over Prespur though. I'd rather endure one meanie than a whole ruling class of them.

I take Torrolerial. The average Bannor man serves in the army after all. It has got to be more interesting (perhaps too interesting when I get eaten by a hellhound...) than farming.

I think some people are misunderstanding the Elohim. They're pacifist but they'll defend their territory with incredible zeal. I'd be comforted by the fact that our leader woulnd't be willing to sacrifice the lives of his people to fulfill a personal vendetta, ie: avenging the death of his wife. And I'm pretty sure if it was a bunch of Elohim peasants that had died instead of his wife, Einion would've been much more inclined to go to war.

They defend the weak, that's what they do. They've been doing it since the Age of Dragons, which is longer than most civs have existed. Since I count the "average" person a part of the weak, I'd pick Elohim :)

pfft, easy answer for me! i'd live with the Balseraphs. Because they are so awesome, and i absolutly adore Perpentach!

I would not choose any evil civilization, because the choice there would be between being a victim or guilty. None of them, btw.

But I would not either establish myself in a commune of vile people just to share their end as lambs...

The best choose in the attempt to pass a life in serenity on Erebus as a common citizen with a good and interesting lifestyle, is a good-aligned empire, with the right amount of freedom and safety that only civs like the Bannor or the Amurites can offer.

I think Amurites is best for 2 reasons.

First I dislike the Crusader trait of Bannor, as long as a Crusaders Civ is not likely to grant a long lifespan to their citizens... Amurites can do it better thanks to their mages imo.

Second as a Bannor I cannot figure out WHAT I should do without the possibility of being a hero... I don't want to just feed the horse of those knoghts ALL my life...

As an Amurites I could learn Arcane and if it is true that everyone there can learn spells, well, it is better than nothing or everything else Erebus has to offer to common people to live good interesting lives.

Who knows, maybe I could even manage to become a great Mage and who will hurt me?

So, Amurites is my first choice.

Btw this is only my opinion, but I see it is one of the most favourite options here...

I share partially what you said on ljos and lanuns.

I could risk a bit more being an elf and live in the forest as a Ljosalfar, it is cool to be an elf with a pair of pointed ears and live in the nature...

...but considering their traits I feel like a bit less safe and personally I would get bored in long time.

Willing to risk a bit more always as a common citizen, I think the most reasonable option would be join the Lanun fleet.

The seas are not without risks, but considered what actually is on the land and what could either arrive later like the infernals there is no match at all:

they can offer much more (relative) safety as long as miles of water would separe me from those crazy demons-worshippers & summoners on the deep land.

And what about the wealth?

I should broke my back labouring in Khazad mines or Luchuirp labs without earning half I could simply collecting those shiny pearls on a calm corner of the coast.

I would use my initial gold to buy a ticket to one of the newest lanun cities, far from enemies and close to pearls.

I will spend my life on a calm sea while getting richer and richer with pearls, till the day I can buy a private isle or at least a mansion in safe territory and just living and commanding my pearl company from there.

Who would kill me?

So if amurites were first choice, lanun should be second, imo.

I think some people are misunderstanding the Elohim. They're pacifist but they'll defend their territory with incredible zeal. I'd be comforted by the fact that our leader woulnd't be willing to sacrifice the lives of his people to fulfill a personal vendetta, ie: avenging the death of his wife. And I'm pretty sure if it was a bunch of Elohim peasants that had died instead of his wife, Einion would've been much more inclined to go to war.

They defend the weak, that's what they do. They've been doing it since the Age of Dragons, which is longer than most civs have existed. Since I count the "average" person a part of the weak, I'd pick Elohim :)

Agreed. Not merely that, but there's this gem from Valledia's pedia entry:

Valledia the Even said:
"The Infernals are not as weak as some suppose, if they are agreeing to peace with the Elohim then it is only because they wish to carry on battle somewhere else. The Elohim are a powerful force and they must see easier targets to feed upon, the Bannor, the Lanun or us."

If one thinks of this entry as canon (and I do), then the Elohim are doing better than expected from such a Dark Fantasy mod.

The Elohim are probably the most developed nation of Erebus, but keep in mind that when it says they are a powerful force it may been that they are particularly powerful against demons. Their purity provides them considerable protections against the forces of darkness. Demons must exploit moral weakness first or else their power remains severely limited by provisions of the Compact.

Yay, MC talked to me! Fanboying aside, I knew that and took it into account. That said, do you think the Bannor have been corrupted by Mammon by then, or did that start later?

Edit: For those of you who don't know, The Tale of Saevorus has the Bannor establishment corrupted by the forces of Evil, hunting down or trying to discredit those who can still perform genuine miracles. Valin Phanuel, because of his devotion to Junil, got cast out of the Order and decided to conduct his own quest for justice. By the time that he met Saevorus, he had begun relying on the voices of Angels for guidance instead of the church.

I would guess that the corruption of the Bannor had started, but not necessarily gone all that far yet. The high priests themselves may have been corrupt but there were still righteous men in their service who could be a problem for the demons. There are already signs of corruption in the Fall of Cuantine scenario, but those like Valin Phanuel who remained devoutly loyal to Junil had not yet begun to question the validity of the order given by their superiors.

It seems that the greatest corruption of the Bannor happened in the years when Capria was absent. She took the most holy of her followers with her on her quest to rescue Donal Lugh from the Fane of the Lessers, leaving no one behind trustworthy enough to keep corruption in check. Before she returned Auric Ulvin laid waste to the Bannor capital and exposed thee corruption, left their nation pathetically weak for a while but allowed a true reformation once Capria returned to rebuild.

I recall that one pedia entry claims that the Bannor are being the largest and most powerful empire in Erebus some 300+ years after its re-founding. I personally would have preferred the corruption to be at its height then, but the scenarios seem to condense the timeline in order to make various leaders contemporaries. As such it seems probable that this resurgence of Bannor strength occurs after their shame was uncovered and repaired.

I believe that the peace treaty between the Elohim and Infernals takes place before any of the scenarios, and that the Wages of Sin scenario takes place soon after that treaty is broken. Hyborem would not have been a part of the first Elohim-Infernal war, as Os-Gabella did not summon and bind him to Erebus until just before the scenario. With the stakes raised, Ethne ignored Einion's protests and summoned Basium. This may have been too late for the Amurites though. I believe some injured Amurite refugees are mentioned in the scenario, but the area where I think the Amurite cities should be is entirely controlled by the Infernals and Sheaim.

The main reason the Bannor were not the chosen target could have been simple geography. Based on the scenarios it seems that the Malakim, Calabim, Elohim, Sheaim, Infernal, and likely Amurites are on the same continent as the Desert of Myrh, whereas the Bannor and most of the important Lanun cities were on a different continent. The cult of the overlords would have made the Lanun quite vulnerable to the devils if they could move into position, but the Infernals don't seem to be the most expert sailors (maybe because the only sea in hell is as still as glass and wipes the memories of all who go near it).

Maybe demons fear water as it could... extinguish them. LOL.

Jokes apart, it would be odd to see demons a seafarer civ... but I would totally see how their infernal ships look like.

(I' m still playing AoI, so I didn't start FFH scenarios yet) End offtopic...

Top Bottom