Which book are you reading now? Volume XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't this thread past its expiration date?

Who gets to do the honors?

Technically it's me but from prior conversations with the mods I thought we were de-serializing this thread series. If that's not the case, I'll make the new thread.

How do people get selected?

How do people get selected?

Whoever makes the thousandth post makes the new thread. I was under the impression this thread was being deserialized too owing to the more in-depth nature the discussions here tend to take.

I think that they're much less in-depth. And anyway, I thought the length of threads wasn't supposed to exceed 50 pages.

Serial threads are limited to 50 pages, but normal threads are not, it's just very rare they reach that kind of length. (They're mostly in the "Other Games" section, I think.)

Why is that?

This thread may continue indefinitely, it is more like a discussion thread than a serial thread and it does not have a heavy load of images, attachments and other resources.

Well, now that that's sorted... :lol:

I'm trying to get into either Away Down South: A History of Southern Identity or The Yellowhammer War: the Civil War and Reconstruction in Alabama.

"THE LAST AMERICAN"

Spoiler :
The astounding discoveries of Khan-li of Dimph-yoo-chur have thrown floods of light upon the domestic life of the Mehrikan people. He little realized when he landed upon that sleeping continent what a service he was about to render history, or what enthusiasm his discoveries would arouse among Persian archæologists.

Every student of antiquity is familiar with these facts.

But for the benefit of those who have yet to acquire a knowledge of this extraordinary people, I advise, first, a visit to the Museum at Teheran in order to excite their interest in the subject, and second, the reading of such books as Nōfūhl's "What we Found in the West," and Nōz-yt-ahl's "History of the Mehrikans." The last-named is a complete and reliable history of these people from the birth of the Republic under George-wash-yn-tun to the year 1990, when they ceased to exist as a nation. I must say, however, that Nōz-yt-ahl leaves the reader much confused concerning the period between the massacre of the Protestants in 1927, and the overflow of the Murfey dynasty in 1940

Started on The Sleepwalkers by Christopher Clark. Feel I should get myself informed on the subject, so I can give imperial apologists a good scoffing come the centennial.

Also reading Richard White's The Middle Ground: Indians, Empires and Republics in the Great Lakes Region, 1650-1815, and trying to finish Henry Kamen's Spain, 1469-1714: A Society of Conflict, which I started a few months back but put aside and sort of forgot about.

trying to finish Henry Kamen's Spain, 1469-1714: A Society of Conflict, which I started a few months back but put aside and sort of forgot about.

How would you recommend it?

"THE LAST AMERICAN"

Spoiler :
The astounding discoveries of Khan-li of Dimph-yoo-chur have thrown floods of light upon the domestic life of the Mehrikan people. He little realized when he landed upon that sleeping continent what a service he was about to render history, or what enthusiasm his discoveries would arouse among Persian archæologists.

Every student of antiquity is familiar with these facts.

But for the benefit of those who have yet to acquire a knowledge of this extraordinary people, I advise, first, a visit to the Museum at Teheran in order to excite their interest in the subject, and second, the reading of such books as Nōfūhl's "What we Found in the West," and Nōz-yt-ahl's "History of the Mehrikans." The last-named is a complete and reliable history of these people from the birth of the Republic under George-wash-yn-tun to the year 1990, when they ceased to exist as a nation. I must say, however, that Nōz-yt-ahl leaves the reader much confused concerning the period between the massacre of the Protestants in 1927, and the overflow of the Murfey dynasty in 1940

This sounds great! :lol:

Added to my list of books I need to get around to.

EDIT: A bit more on topic, I have actually read a decent amount of a book recently, for class at least. The Texture of Contact: European and Indian Settler Communities on the Frontiers of Iroquoia, 1667-1783 by David L. Preston. This is probably the first book I've read this semester that I didn't immediately skim (at least until the last two chapters, where I had to skim for time's sake) due to the fact that it's actually interesting and readable, a rare feat. The interaction between the Indian settlers and the European settlers trans-Appalachia is a lot more dynamic and complex than its usually told to be, along with the treatment of the Iroquois Confederacy by the British and the French colonial governments.

EDIT2: As it turns out, according to my professor, the book is the weakest in the last couple chapters, so I didn't miss much. Apparently Preston is far better at discussing the interactions in the Mohawk valley than he is in the Ohio valley.

I've been working through David Kennedy's Freedom from Fear on the American experience in the Great Depression and World War II. I'm up to Roosevelt's first hundred days in office. A lot of the material in the book feels familiar from following the discussions on the forum about the Great Depression (esp. from Dachs et al.).

The Divide: American Injustice in the Age of the Wealth Gap - Matt Tabibi: Not his strongest work.
Pound Foolish: Exposing the Dark Side of the Personal Finance Industry: A solid work. A little scatter-gun.

Human Scale, Kirkpatrick Scale. I just started this yesterday, but it's written against technologies that are inappropriately large or centralized. Very much against both big government and big business, as well state education and American cars. I'm only 100 pages in, but it's an utter delight so far.

The Undercover Economist Strikes Back Tim Harford. Good book for some introductory concepts in macroeconomics.

The Greco-Persian Wars - Peter Green.

Human Scale, Kirkpatrick Scale. I just started this yesterday, but it's written against technologies that are inappropriately large or centralized. Very much against both big government and big business, as well state education and American cars. I'm only 100 pages in, but it's an utter delight so far.

That sounds pretty interesting. What's his basic argument or arguments about these things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom