Which films have you seen lately? Vol. 21: Now in CinemaScope!

The Lion in Winter '68. Old favorite, but scenes of it stick with me. I particularly like how the names your remember from history will scuffle and nameless men will die on screen only to be forgotten within the scene. Like in the jail.

"Do you think there is any chance of it?" ;)

"I don't LIKE my children!!!" is one of my favorite lines from that movie.

I loved Time Bandits when it came out in '84. I haven't seen it again since then. Where is it streaming. Oh, youtube.
The Time Bandits, 1984. Um...not sure what to say about this. Done by Michael Palin, featuring John Cleese and and Sean O'Connery. The story is...god, just watch the trailer.

I loved Time Bandits when it came out in '84. I haven't seen it again since then. Where is it streaming. Oh, youtube.

Believe it or not, Criterion.

Everybody Wants Some, 2016. Two things drew me to this movie: one, a YT video analyzing various movies on how accuractely they depicted baseball, on which this scored fairly high; two, it's a sequel/successor to Dazed and Confused, but set about five years later: dawn of the eighties instead of mid-seventies. Like Dazed, it's a slice-of-life thing that follows some young people around for a given weekend, this time a group of college ball players the weekend before school starts. It's very much a guy kind of movie given how much of it is dudes being dudes -- playing games, drinking, chasing girls, making fun of each other, etc. Thoroughly enjoyable with some unexpectedly good quotes.

"The trick is, you can't fight it. You gotta accept it. You gotta embrace your inner strange. Just be weird, man. And when you do that, you bring who you are -- not who they want. And that, my friend, is when it get fun." -- Everybody Wants Some, but paraphrased to G-rating territory

Time Bandits is a Terry Gilliam film - his second true non-Python film, as director, after Jabberwocky. I've probably seen it 10 times. I consider it a classic, so Criterion seems right, but Gilliam's style is not for everybody. (Palin wrote it with Gilliam)

Try Baron Munchausen though, SC. One of Gilliam's best. It has a very young Sarah Polley.

Last edited:
Rebel Moon Part 2: The Scargiver - My expectations were were met but they were also pretty low. The characters are just shells, the plot is straightforward, certain parts are nonsensical, lots of stuff is unexplained. The last half of the movie is basically one long battle sequence which I found suitably entertaining even with the excessive use of slow-mo. If you're willing to shut your brain off and just enjoy the spectacle it's an ok watch.

Unable to make any decisions over the weekend, I availed myself of the Shuffle feature on Letterboxd. Sorting my Watchlist from 315 films to the 111 I have available on streaming services I currently subscribe to, I got...

Troll (2022), a Norwegian Kaiju movie by Roar Uthaug, who did The Wave (2016). It was just okay. If you're jonesing for a giant monster movie and have already watched the good ones - and, like me, you're still waiting for Godzilla Minus One to hit streaming - this was better than Godzilla: King of the Monsters but not as good as Cloverfield. If you're into Norwegian movies, I thought this wasn't as good as Uthaug's The Wave. It does the job, though.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019) is as good as everyone said it was. The performances are of course central, but I was struck by the lack of a score or soundtrack. There are a couple of affecting pieces of music, and they're both diegetic. Adèle Haenel worked regularly up to 2019, and hasn't done anything since. Noémie Merlant has kept working, though. Mostly French stuff, it looks like, but she was in Tar (2022) with Cate Blanchett, which I haven't seen. In particular, though, I think I'll look for more of Céline Sciamma's movies. I see that she did Petite Maman (2021), which I already had in my Watchlist, even though I can't remember anything about it. I must've heard a good review when it came out, tossed it into the hopper, and then forgotten about it. That one's not as well-reviewed as Portrait, but few things are. This is likely to be regarded as Sciamma's masterpiece. It was rated the 30th great film of all time in Sight and Sound's 2022 critics poll. One might suspect there was some 'recency bias' at work there, but just eyeballing it, I'm not sure that poll skewed towards more recent films in general (if anything, the opposite might've been true).

Judas and the Black Messiah (2021) was also excellent. A little slice of American history that probably a lot of people don't know about. Excellent cast. Mainly Daniel Kaluuya and LaKeith Stanfield, who I was already a fan of. I see it was nominated for Best Picture and Best Screenplay, but not for any acting categories, which surprises me. Must've been a tough year. Jesse Plemons and Martin Sheen were the only people in the supporting cast I was already familiar with, but I thought all of them were good. I see that Dominique Fishback was in Project Power (2020) and Dominique Thorne was in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022) and If Beale Street Could Talk (2018); I've seen all three of those movies, but neither actress jumped out at me the way they did here, and I didn't remember either of them while I was watching this.

Broadway Danny Rose, 1984. Woody Allen is a 'talent manager' whose best acts seem to leave him. Case in point: his singer Lou is a star in the waiting, but he has alcohol issues. While trying to manage things between Lou and his goomah, he unwittingly attracts the ire of two Italian mobsters. In the end he loses Lou despite making him a star, but he possibly gets the girl.

ANNA on Netflix was a great thriller. Fun stuff with some nice twists. Evil Russian assassins are killing their enemies in the West! The phones and CRTs used put this film date in the 1990s I think, but the laptops look newer. :dunno:

Spoiler :
The fight sequences get a bit out of hand, but one would surely expect 50-1 odds to be nothing for the best of the best! :lol:

The Guard, 2011. Irish film about a small-town cop who gets involved in an international drug investigation. Favorite quotes:

Criminal: Who was that with the cannon shootin' at us?
Cop: Oh, the FBI lad. Probably hasn't had that much fun since moirdering kids at Waco.

Bureaucrat: You will apologize for the racist slur.
Cop: I'm Irish! Bein' racist is part of me culture!

(April 19, 1993: armed government officials associated with the FBI and ATF set a church compound on fire with tanks firing gas banned by international treaties, causing a fire that killed most everyone inside. Then some of them posed with the smoking bodies. The object of their investigation, David Koresh, could have been picked up on his many visits to town. I used to think people who talked about Waco were crazy, but then I read Rise of the Warrior Cop and realized how truly deranged the ABC boys are.)

Top Bottom