Which Films have you seen lately? Number K'. Someone was spreading lies about Joseph 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recommend Rye Lane (2023), if you haven't seen it. Probably my favorite film of the year so far, although I haven't seen many 2023 movies yet.
Yeah, I recall you mentioning it before. Which service is it on?

Barbie - Saw this one on vacation with wife and kids at my daughter's request. Drove almost an hour to the nearest movie theatre because we were on vacation in a semi-remote area with very few movie theatres showing the latest movies. I'd had no interest in seeing this film until my daughter asked to see it. She was really excited when I told her we were headed out as a family to see it... my sons... not so much.

I'm glad I saw it. I don't know that I'd call it "good", but more like enriching and also a little weird. There are some cring'ey/weird parts but overall it was a very thoughtful experience. My wife and daughter enjoyed it, my sons decidedly did not. I thought it was OK and delivered pretty much what I expected and some more on top of that. It starts of exactly as I expected, as a silly, shallow movie about Barbie dolls in their Barbie world. However, as the movie progresses, the deeper, social commentaries, which are the real point of the film start to take shape. There is a lecture in the film at the climax, which ordinarily tends to be considered a result of bad writing, but in this case was pretty good and I don't know how else they could have gotten across the ultimate point of the film as effectively. The women in the theatre (I looked around) all seemed to appreciate it, including my wife, and it made me really think about the underlying message of the film, so I think it got the job done. I literally stopped myself mid-word, from mansplaining something to my wife right as the first word was coming out of my mouth, because of the messaging in the film.

The movie did have a little too much focus on Ken for my taste, but I think in a way, that was part of the point, and Ken and Co, ended up being more sympathetic and complex than I originally expected. Overall, I'd say it was worth watching.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom