1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which God Would You Follow/Worship? (not which civ)

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by jimi12, Mar 24, 2008.

?

Which God Would You Follow/Worship? (not which civ)

1. Lugus

8 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. Sirona

18 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. Nantosuelta

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. Sucellus

6 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Amathaon

6 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. Junil

8 vote(s)
    5.1%
  7. Kilmorph

10 vote(s)
    6.4%
  8. Oghma

21 vote(s)
    13.4%
  9. Cernunnos

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  10. Arawn

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  11. Dagda

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  12. Tali

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  13. Danalin

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  14. Camulos

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  15. Aeron

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  16. Ceridwen

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  17. Mammon

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  18. Esus

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  19. Mulcarn

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  20. Agares

8 vote(s)
    5.1%
  21. Bhall

6 vote(s)
    3.8%
  22. The One

30 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Ummm...I'm not sure that makes any sense. Wouldn't being evil for all intents and purposes mean, by definition, that he is purposefully evil?

Overall I agree with what you are saying though. Kilmorph certainly acts like a good god(dess), at least to the dwarves. If dwarves instead of men made the alignment she would definitely be good. Evil gods are the ones that follow Agares, but while good ones are the ones that fight aginats them, to protect humanity, as seen by humanity. The difference between good an neutral are minor though. Also, Cernunnos was the first angel to confront/attack Agares directly. It may be that he is still to shaken by the dark vision of himself (which came to life and become Hyborem) to again fight evil directly.

2. Milosrdenstvi

Milosrdenstvi Chieftain

Sorry, bad use of idiom...

3. das

das Regeneration In Process

The One is way too abstract for my tastes here. Arawn is right up my street, though.

4. Wyrmhero

Wyrmhero Dragon-Lord

Aren't we all? :crazyeye:

5. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

Ah, I misunderstood ye. You meant neutral parties in the various wars of Erebus, I was thinking alignmentwise. Should've realized that... although I still stand by Danalin since Mammon is more involved in the creation of the Overlords than Danalin; the latter is the unwitting and unwilling vessel.

6. MagisterCultuum

I believe it was stated that Danalin was the least involved in the godswar.

7. jimi12

jimi12 Half Jedi

i think in the history of ffh page, it says secullus and danalin stayed out of the war and tended to their peoples, the elves and aifons, respectively.

8. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

Kilmorph. I've always thought of her as a bit like a sheepdog, passive agressive, until her flock is threatened, then resposing with all the power of the Earth to inflict tremendous damage. If her followers were human(not dwarf) then she would probably be good. But, then i may be completly wrong.

9. zup

zup Chieftain

I'm conflicted.

Whenever I read in the news about disasters or whatever, I think like: "Well they can all go to hell for all I care". Note that I will not actively pursue a goal of damning every mortal's soul. They can do it themselves.

Before Bhall's fall I might have worshipped her. But then again, the very human nature is against change. Even though I say things like: "Without change things will never get better". I guess the stasis makes us feel safe. Yet Mulcarn's new view on the matter is not my thing either.

Stewards of Inequity and unwittingly serving Mammon? Well I generally do not concern myself with such moral questions as: "If I were to do this that either benefits me or pleasures me, would somebody else be harmed?". On the other hand, it mostly applies to the people I do not know. So I probably would not cheat my mother out of her money but if my selfish consumption leads to a child starwing half a world away, fine. Perhaps I lean towards Kilmorph. Tradition is another of the aspects she represents. Interesting.

Junil? Don't even suggest worshipping this control freak.

Lugus? Well I am very much nocturnal and my eyes pretty light sensitive. (aka daylight is too bright for me, 10 years devoted to video games does that to anybody I assume.) But perhaps Lugus does not care for exaggerated displays of devotion.

Esus? I don't betray ALL of my friends. I do lie a lot though. Helps me keep out of trouble. But I would not say I am for Tali either, as I don't relish in causing random mischief.

The One? Give me a break. Too similar to the christian god.

I guess I'll take Sirona for the lack of a better option.

10. Corlis

Corlis Chieftain

Probably The One really, as he's presumably the perfect union of all the good parts of the other gods. The balance of Dagda is nice, but oddly enough it can be taken to extremes; sometimes it is right to come down hard on one side of an argument.

11. Saytr

Saytr Ex-Faun

Amathaon:

1) He is good

2) As a god of Inspiration, he would be a patron of art, thought, and innovation.

3) Butterflies are cool:p

12. Atnanor

Atnanor +2 Beer Affinity

They are all horrible choices, so I will disect the most chosen gods.

The One: If hes so powerful, why would he care for tiny insects like us. The entirety of sentient life would be as this fly I just killed, inconsequential.

Oghma: The god of study, knowledge, etc. This one surprised me, but here we go. The god of knowledge would be at heart, pacifist. Not that they believe in kindness or anything, they have no time for kindness, there are more things to study, more to catalogue. When the world is over, the last follower of Oghma will celebrate. He can read anything, everything! Study for a life time! Than his glasses fall off. "WHHY!! ITS NOT FAIR, ITS NOT FAIR!!!"

Sirona: The goddess of peace, harmony, inaction. Unlike Oghma, shes the merciful pacifist. Peace is the worst idea in a world like Erebus where, depending where you go: you could get eaten, raped and than killed for sport, dragged to a huge altar of fire and burnt for some mad fire goddess, killed for questioning the order, killed for stepping in some random ruins with big black crystals in them. Peace in all of these circumstances, are bad. In the end, peace is a sign of the weak, and the weak die. The strong live off the weak in a horrifying jungle of suffering, that is life.

13. MagisterCultuum

Sirona isn't really a goddess of inaction. She is a goddess of selfless action. Inaction is really more part of the sphere of her good friend Danalin, whose sphere is corrupted since he is deep in sleep and being tormented by Hastur. Peace was the sphere of Camulos, but he willfully fell and became the god of strife. However, the way I see it, she in her mercy has been trying to fulfill the original roles of Danalin (serenity), Camulos (peace), Agares (hope), Esus (trust), Ceridwen (the emotional bonds that tie us together), and Mammon (making decisions that make everyone's future better) and is overwhelmed. Mercy and Meekness is not weakness, but she simply cannot hope to carry the load of 7 gods. She is understandably worn out.

It sounds to me like you are probably a follower of either Aeron or Camulos.

14. Atnanor

Atnanor +2 Beer Affinity

Word, voted for Camulos.
    I said inaction to be biting in a way, I suppose the goddess of peace has to work for peace, yes?
    Mercy and Meekness however are weaknesses, unless they benefit you. Which it often does. Altruism has a genetic basis, since it helps you exploit and benefit off others. This is entirely unconscious, however it happens since it aids the survival of your genes in the end.

But back to my eariler point, that I forgot to make. All the gods are bad choices because since this a more realistic world they arn't really good or evil yes? Good is basically what is good for the person. After all, Junil is technically a god of good, but is he a good god to the people the order kill in his name? You might say that the Order is being manipulated by outside forces, but think about it. Junil is the god of Unquestioning Order. What happens when one questions?

Just because Sirona is the goddess of peace isn't good. What if peace isn't the answer? For example the Doviello attack the Elohim and is fought back, with the Doviello weakened it would be smart for the Elohim to attack and destroy the Doviello to create less competition and create a safer environment. The Elohim however basically serve Sirona, not in any organized religion that I know of, but they follow the generally same things as peace and harmony and such. So they won't attack, they might be naive enough to believe that the Doviello might have "Learned Their Lesson".

Basically I believe the FFH gods are all based off human traits that have been put into extremes. God of Peace, would also be God of Naive-ity. God of Order, God of Intolerance.

15. Aoleleb

Aoleleb Chieftain

And that, Atnanor, is why this is dark fantasy :D Making the good so good they become weak (Siriona) or evil (Junil, yes I realize that it's more intolerant, but it makes him seem evil sometimes).

16. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

He isn't evil, and in a way, he isn't especially intolerant; an orc wishing to follow Junil would be accepted without hesitation, if his intents were pure. A truly repentant former follower of the Ashen Veil might also be allowed into Junil's service, although not without first paying off his debts to society. Junil is fighting for what's right in the long term, for the human race as a whole. I know of a rather idealistic, and altogether agreeable, self-proclaimed fascist who would get along with Junil quite well. Problem is, Junil has absolutely no compunctions about killing individuals for the greater good and whatnot.
    I've always imagined him as seeing himself somewhat like a doctor, looking at the human race as his patient and human beings as cells. If cells get infected, you remove them. From our perspective, of course, this is very unpleasant. But a follower of Junil would argue that we are to Junil what cells are to a doctor; that Junil, knowing what is best for us, has every right to do things that seem evil because they are for a purpose beyond our possible understanding. (Personally, I wouldn't agree with this metaphor; humans can understand Junil, partially, but cells cannot even begin to understand doctors.)
    Junil isn't particularly popular, so I feel like arguing for him as the Devil's (Angel's?) Advocate.

17. Atnanor

Atnanor +2 Beer Affinity

I love it like that, makes the gods seem believable.

And to KillerClowns, Junil doesn't seem to really care for keeping humanity "Healthy" in the long run but more about keeping the Rules and Law foremost, and removing everything in the way.

I would imagine Junil would want all races to be exactly the same, and do the exact same things, in the exact same ways. But of course gods are given free will so they do not have to conform EXACTLY to their spheres.

Lastly I never said the Order was intolerant against other races, I was talking about other religions. Oh Empreyans and RoK are tolerated, but not really accepted. However, Leafs (since they enjoy tearing paladins apart with treants), Esus's boyz, those particularly strange fellows with the squid faces, and lastly Hyborem and his homies THE ASHEN VEIL!!!

Of course intolerance can be towards anything for any reason. Its a xenophobic reaction, it can be against anything that's different, from skin color to nose size.

18. Aoleleb

Aoleleb Chieftain

Maybe intolerant wasn't the right word. I'm thinking more along the lines of Junil doesn't like people who don't do what he wants. He's, as has been said, kind of like a dictator, albiet one who is fighting for the greater good and to destroy all evil.

19. Niley

Niley Chieftain

Esus. Definitely Esus. I'm all for this shadow business :)

20. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

From Junil's perspective, those are one in the same. His philosophies are based on the assumption that failure to obey laws are the root of evil. (My own philosophies are miles away from this, of course, but I am not Junil. A pity; I'd love a private army of angels and horde of fanatics.) His ideal world, probably an unachievable one, is one where everybody knows their place, but nobody goes hungry and nobody goes unhappy. He intends to achieve this by assuring no laws are broken. I imagine he'll nick a page out of 1984 to do this, of course, by making it impossible to even think of breaking laws. But unlike the government in 1984, he doesn't actually desire power for power's sake. He desires power to make the world, in his eyes, a better place.
    This is a completely wild guess, but Junil actually strikes me as being something of a communist in a way. (No offense to actual communists. Bear with me here.) In the famous Political Compass, I'd wager he'd be in the Authoritarian Left; think Mao or Lenin. Then again, my perspective is a bit tainted; I'm only playing the devil's advocate, but I'd also like to think of Junil as being the opposite of me.