Which is the most useless unit?

Which is the most useless/pointless unit?

• Skirmisher

Votes: 10 1.6%
  • Crossbowman

Votes: 36 5.8%
  • Marine

Votes: 19 3.0%
  • Gunship

Votes: 17 2.7%
  • Warrior

Votes: 19 3.0%
  • Jaguar

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • Axeman

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Maceman

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Samurai

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Phalanx

Votes: 18 2.9%
  • Chariot

Votes: 45 7.2%
  • Keshik

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • Camel Archer

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • War Elephant

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Explorer

Votes: 137 21.9%
  • Caravel

Votes: 15 2.4%
  • Ironclad

Votes: 226 36.2%
  • Submarine

Votes: 42 6.7%
  • Explorer

Votes: 139 22.2%
  • Other

Votes: 36 5.8%

• Total voters
Kalleyao said:
]Because its a multiple choise poll one person might have voted for both.
Yes, but there's probably people who didn't realise there's 2 explorers either.

Crighton, I don't think they're the best unit ever, but was highlighting the fact they're not as useless as some people think.

Is there anyone else who thinks the Spy comes stupidly late in the game? This is such a useful unit, yet because of it's late availibity and the fact you need to have the Scotland Yard National Wonder means this unit has little impact. I'm also not sure why you need Communism for this unit? Are the makers suggesting spies did not exist until communism existed? Elizabeth I of England had a notorious spy network in the late 16th Century.

The problem with the Spy is that it comes at a time when workers have pretty much nothing to do. so anything you pillage with them is back up and running again in just a couple turns.

DynamicSpirit said:
Out of interest, if you're using musketeers like that, how do you get round the problem that the % defensive bonus that cities show doesn't indicate whether it comes from walls (which gunpowder units can ignore) or culture (which I believe they don't ignore)? Sure, you can see walls there, but if you see a 50% bonus, you can't necessarily tell that it wouldn't eg. still have 40% bonus from culture without the walls. Do you just march the musketeers up to the city and hope?
If you have only the musketeers(or any gunpowder unit) selected, then the bonus shown is without the walls. I finally figured that one out when I had some cannons next to a city that had no defense value, but was able to bombard it anyway. I realized then that when I selected a maceman that I had laying around that there were in fact walls there and I was knocking that defense down.

I don't like caravels because they have those stupid unit limits, so no settling or military transoceanic, and why else you would be sending units for such purposes is unclear

I don't like caravels because they have those stupid unit limits, so no settling or military transoceanic, and why else you would be sending units for such purposes is unclear

You have a very limited, view of what those caravels are made for.
As you said they are no good for transportation.

By sending caravels around the world you can :

1. discover new civilizatons, and thus new trading partners ( which is critical at high difficulty )
2. win the Circum race, giving you the edge for future naval domination
3. send missionaries, to smoothen relationships, increase income tax from religious shrine.
4. spying without triggering war, special ability other ships dont have (except submarines).
5. eventually, to snag a couple of goody huts on isolated islands.

I usually upgrade 3 to 4 and the are busy for a long time

I voted for Explorers. And I seem to remember Explorers being the unit I never built in Civ III as well.

I think they would be a fun unit if only they were available earlier.

Top Bottom