Which movies have you watched? ' --not an iota of bad movies; but maybe bad taste

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say it's not about developing but about unleashing. Bringing oneself to the very edge and take a step beyond.

I just returned from seeing Alien Covenant. Quite gory, but all in all a pretty good movie. You sort of need to see its prequel Prometheus for a lot of it to make sense, but it does clear up quite a bit of the mystery from that movie.

Anything else I could say here would be a spoiler, so I'll hold my tongue. I must say though that I did enjoy it.

Time for spoilers then cus I watched it last night! I LOVED it but my wife as soon as it was over said that was the stupidest movie I've ever seen. And I said well we watched prometheus too remember? And she said oh yeah, second stupidest then. She hates sci fi stuff. And she thought the movie was very predictable, which it was of course.

Actually that's the one major downside of the movie:
Spoiler :

You know those guys will be infected with aliens and they'll kill everyone. That's what my wife hates about it, shes like the alien kills everyone in every one of these movies, and she's basically right. It was so obvious to everyone except billy crudrup that the thing david was growing was going to eat his face. David was pretty easy to see though and see all his evil intentions. And when he swapped places with walter at the end it was SO obvious. That ending would've been one of the best in movie history if it had just been more cleverly hidden. But when you saw david going for the knife and walter punch and it cuts away before the conclusion, way too obvious. I think what they should've done is shown walter smash him and david appear dead or whatever you call expired synthetics, then show walter walking away. Then after david's big reveal to daniels have a mini flashback showing david not actually dead and leaping up on walter from behind or something. That I wouldn't have seen coming. It's a shame, it could've been so much better but the switch was telegraphed a mile away like a pitcher tipping his pitches.

I liked how it cleared up a lot of stuff about prometheus, though I still don't get why david goes nuts and hates humans. I want to see how they connect this to the original eventually. I hope we get that sequel.

Every night at some time after midnight there's a Japanese film on state TV. This week's are all by Fukazaku Kinji. Last night, Graveyard of Honour. The cinematography! Changes between colour and black and white! The camera is far away from characters who are alone and straight up in the faces of an entire group! the camer's tilted!

And on Tuesday night, Under the Flag of the Rising Sun. Again, the cinematography!

For a fan of Japanese cinema I sure know very little of it.

You should watch his Yakuza films. Skip Battle Royale ;).

Ah, I have seen one of his films, then.

The very one you shouldn't have, although it did have the benefit of bringing him to Western audiences.

Rastu naitu, it was Sympathy for the Underdog (Bakuto-Gaijin Butai 博徒外人部隊, 1971).

And, finally, Fall of Ako Castle (赤穂城断絶 - Akō-jō danzetsu). Fukasaku Kinji's take on the tale of the Forty-Seven Rōnin.

The Girl With All the Gifts (2016) - Another good British zombie movie, if that's your bag. Great cast. Cristobal Tapia de Veer's score is outstanding.

Wonder Woman. A solid action-adventure movie, not quite among the must-see elite. The first 2 hours are very good, but the writer and director haven't quite solved the 3rd-act problems these movies so often have. I liked the cast a lot, and it takes the time to sketch out the supporting characters a little. Not quite at the level of The Dark Knight or The Incredibles, but recommended if you enjoyed things like Iron Man, Ant-Man, and Hellboy.

Wonder Woman. A solid action-adventure movie, not quite among the must-see elite. The first 2 hours are very good, but the writer and director haven't quite solved the 3rd-act problems these movies so often have. I liked the cast a lot, and it takes the time to sketch out the supporting characters a little. Not quite at the level of The Dark Knight or The Incredibles, but recommended if you enjoyed things like Iron Man, Ant-Man, and Hellboy.

Is it better than the atrocity that was Catwoman? They've had 14 years to dwell on their mistakes.

(Although to be fair, my biggest worry about Wonder Woman is that it's a part of the new DC movie 'verse, and their Batman/Superman movies have sucked.)

Wonder Woman. A solid action-adventure movie, not quite among the must-see elite. The first 2 hours are very good, but the writer and director haven't quite solved the 3rd-act problems these movies so often have. I liked the cast a lot, and it takes the time to sketch out the supporting characters a little.

I also enjoyed the Wonder Woman film. Its not perfect by any means. The film's treatment of WWI Germans as basically-Nazis was unnerving. And while I appreciate the new focus the Great War has been given recently because of the Centenary, their version of the War was all over the place. Further, the entire second half of the film was a little too close to Captain America: The First Avenger for my taste.

However, WW's first half is a better than average origin story, and I really applaud the film for doing an excellent job having a strong feminist protagonist by showing, not telling. There weren't too many "I am no man..." eye-roller lines.

This was the film that the DCU need to get back on track, now hopefully Justice League doesn't mess the bed...

but recommended if you enjoyed things like Iron Man, Ant-Man, and Hellboy.

Ant-Man was probably my favorite Phase Two film.

I had a friend over yesterday and my roommate was flipping through the channels and suddenly there was a flying monkey guy fighting a flying tiger. So we sat there watching a fight between those two things, all while rocks were flying through the sky and stuff. It was all very bizarre and weird and we were just transfixed on it because as ridiculous as it was, it was pretty damn entertaining.

So turns out this movie isThe Monkey King 2. A sequel! We were intrigued. We sat through 45 minutes of it but then eventually the "this is so absurd we have to keep watching" novelty wore off, the action in the movie died down, and we ended up switching the channel to something else. The dialogue was just not very captivating, but the action parts were amazing. So for a while it was just so damn entertaining, in a "What's going on here? We should stick around to see what happens next" kind of way

Anyway, if you want to see some ridiculous stuff with decently high production standards, check out The Monkey King 2. I have no idea about the first one, but the second one has some cool visuals

Is it better than the atrocity that was Catwoman?
Do you even need to ask? :lol:

(Although to be fair, my biggest worry about Wonder Woman is that it's a part of the new DC movie 'verse, and their Batman/Superman movies have sucked.)
I haven't seen Suicide Squad, but Wonder Woman is miles better than Man of Steel and Batman v Superman.

I also enjoyed the Wonder Woman film. Its not perfect by any means. The film's treatment of WWI Germans as basically-Nazis was unnerving.
I liked Ludendorf and Doctor Poison but, related to your "show, don't tell" point, they didn't do enough to show us that those two were not normal Germans, they only told us. One reason I liked the WWI setting is because...
Spoiler :
...the idea that it was the result of meddling by a god of war (or a goddess of strife - Eris is a Wonder Woman villain in the comics) almost makes more sense than what actually happened.

Maybe the movie would have benefited from having one of Steve's band of misfits be a German soldier who wants to help Steve and Diana end the war. (Would it have been too much for that character to be an 18-year-old Erich Maria Remarque? Eh, probably.)

However, WW's first half is a better than average origin story, and I really applaud the film for doing an excellent job having a strong feminist protagonist by showing, not telling. There weren't too many "I am no man..." eye-roller lines.

This was the film that the DCU need to get back on track, now hopefully Justice League doesn't mess the bed...
So far, the trailers for Justice League do not fill me with confidence.

Ant-Man was probably my favorite Phase Two film.
It's The Winter Soldier for me, but I can't argue with Ant-Man (or Guardians of the Galaxy).

Maybe the movie would have benefited from having one of Steve's band of misfits be a German soldier who wants to help Steve and Diana end the war. (Would it have been too much for that character to be an 18-year-old Erich Maria Remarque? Eh, probably.)

That was part of my point about WW being too similar to Cpt. America in the second & third acts. Steve's buddies feel like an intentional effort to ape the Howling Commandos, but were less "organic". You have a Moroccan/Algerian actor, a Scottish marksman who is somehow not in the British Army in 1918, and a Native American trader who they give no actual explanation as to why this Old West transplant is in Belgium running German Beer and American tobacco to both sides except for the line "war is good for business".

While the Moroccan was given a good scene to show his skillz/reason for being on the team, the other two have no moments which justify their existence. The Scottish guy in particular could have been replaced by a good pair of binoculars.

Meeting up with a Central Powers soldier would have been a great way to sell the good/bad on both sides bit the movie tries to spring during the final climax.

After rewatching the first two seasons and remembering how great of a show it was I finally got around to season 3 of Twin Peaks. Seems quite different, while the first two seasons felt very familiar, like you're home the new season is very distanced and alien, at least to me. Liking it so far, we'll see how it goes.

I was saddened to see that a couple of the original cast members weren't coming back. Noticeably sheriff Truman, from what I've read he was supposed to come back and even started preparing for the role but then backed out without explanation. What's up with Lara Flynn Boyle? Haven't seen her in anything in ages and decided to give google a shot. I could barely recognize her, she's seems like she's either very sick or completely destroyed her face with plastic surgeries, probably both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom