1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

which way is the chick spinnin'?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Fifty, Oct 9, 2007.

?

which way is the girl spinnin'

1. clockwise

65.0%
  2. counter-clockwise

21.4%
  3. it alternates between the two fairly evenly

13.6%
  1. odintheking

odintheking Lighting the way...

That's trippy, man! I can usually see counterclockwise, but if I focus she can go the other way.

2. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

Whoa, that's freaky...
    I saw this EXACT SAME experiment earlier today on a different site!

3. dcbandicoot

dcbandicoot the true corporate champ

Clockwise, right-handed. Can't see counter at all.

Edit: Now I can change it at will.

4. G-Force Junkie

G-Force Junkie Old Vulcan Guy

Yeah, I just got to the point where I can almost change it at will, but now my head hurts too much to keep up with it.

5. LuckyAC

LuckyAC Immortal

Can't see counter at all, I think people claiming that they can are probably part of some internet joke/meme.

6. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Counterclockwise

7. Greeneyedzombie

Greeneyedzombie King

When I first looked, anti-clockwise, but now she is going crazy alternating directions.

8. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

Always clock-wise. Sometimes the animation stutters, but she still ends up going clock-wise.

9. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

That's really weird! If I do that, and I look a 10 cm or so to the right, she goes clockwise, but then when I look at her directly again, she's going anti-clockwise. BUT! If I gradually move my eyes towards here, like 2 cm at a time, from 10cm right of her to looking at her, she stays clockwise! How cool.

10. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

I think this explains it best. Follow the colours to see where the information goes into the brain. Keep in mind that the information is integrated after it gets to the back. By looking to the right of the dancer, you're putting the information into the far-left visual field, crossing first into the right-brain.

This information brought to you by a Type B fiscal conservative, for free, in the hopes that there will be secondary economic feedback benefits.

11. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

So wait, I'm right handed, which means my right eye should also be the dominant eye, right? So why am I apparently dominant with my left eye (i.e. seeing it anti-clockwise)?

EDIT: No wait... again. (I keep making people wait, I should stop saying that.) Doesn't that mean that if you close your left eye, she'll go anti-clockwise, and if you close your right eye, she'll go clockwise?

Also I realise I read the above picture wrong, and I am indeed dominant with my right eye.

12. dcbandicoot

dcbandicoot the true corporate champ

No, I can legitamitely see it go both ways. Took awhile. Try reversing the foot in your mind, that is, you see it spin back (arcing away from you) than near than far than near.. try reversing it so it goes near when it should go far and vice versa, than look.

It's easy once you get it.

I don't buy the left-brain right-brain stuff though.

13. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Yep, you're reading the above picture wrong. There is no difference between your specific eyes - there's a difference between your eyefields. The 'left' eyefield is everything left to the center of what you're looking at. So, for example, my avatar is in your left eyefield while you're reading this text.

While you are reading this text, my avatar's light is entering your eyeball and settling on the right side of your retina. This information is being sent to your right-brain. My avatar's light is hitting both your eyes, both your retinas, and is being sent from both eyes into the right brain.

In the diagram above, half the information 'crosses over' from each eye. I can't see colour, so I'll have a bit of problem explaining, but notice how the information that hits the right-side of each retina goes to the right side of the brain?

Quote moved to bottom on purpose.

14. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Aha, this makes sense now. So it's not which eye itself, but which side of the eye the light hits, that determines which side of the brain it goes to (and therefore which way the girl spins). Got it! Thanks! :)

15. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

Clockwise. I couldn't figure out how to make it counter-clockwise at first, but with a little practice I can do it without too much difficulty by looking at the shadow of the feet.

16. On Yer Flour

On Yer Flour Prince

And I likewise.

17. DBear

DBear unbeliever

CLockwise all the time. Right handed.

18. Atlas14

Atlas14 "Sophomoric Troll Master"

Are you all on drugs?

Clockwise is the only way she's friggin spinnin.

I'm right handed.

19. Bast

Bast Protector of Cats

I can manipulate it now. For me, it appears that she's always facing AWAY from me and going half way to left and then turning around the other way.

Interesting that always her outer limb is the one that's sticking out.

20. WillJ

WillJ Coolness Connoisseur

I first saw it counter-clockwise and saw it that way for a very long time, but now I can make it switch (with some difficulty), and it's fairly balanced between clockwise and counter-clockwise.
    Nope, this is definitely not a hoax, since I had several people in my room watching it and, at the same time, some of us saw it one way and some the other way.