Which word from another language do you need in your language?

The_J

Say No 2 Net Validations
Administrator
Supporter
You know, some words are just nicer than the equivalents in other languages, and just are some missing.

My desired "transfers" would be:

From English to German: "Sorry". The German word "Entschuldigung" or "Entschuldigen Sie bitte" is just too long. "Sorry" is short and clear, way better. (Also French "pardon" works)

From ...any language to French: A better word for "now". "Maintenant" is just too long, take it from English or German ("jetzt") or Dutch ("nu").

From German to English: "Jein". This is a combo out of the German words for "Yes" and "No" ("Ja" and "Nein"). With this word you assert with confidence that something is complicated. While in English you could say "kind of" or "sort of", both also express that you're somewhat not sure about the whole situation. With "Jein" you are sure that something is complicated and two sides could apply.

Are there any words you'd need in another language :)?

The Irish language has a word for red hair colour 'rua' I'd like to use. Red, orange, ginger etc don't seem to do the job.
The word for red is different 'Dearg'.

Why does blonde get a specific word but my hair doesn't?

Rua would be used for foxes and squirrels too.

We also have a habitual tense? that has followed us into English 'I do be' but often gets marked down as bad English rather than just a tense English doesn't have and that wouldn't necessarily be recognised outside of Ireland.

Last edited:
From English to German: "Sorry".
We'd need "sorry" too. But not that kind of sorry when you did something wrong, we have a couple of words for that.
The "sorry" about something bad happened to somebody. Like, "sorry for your loss". Russian equivalents sound either too long or awkward.

From German to English: "Jein". This is a combo out of the German words for "Yes" and "No" ("Ja" and "Nein"). With this word you assert with confidence that something is complicated. While in English you could say "kind of" or "sort of", both also express that you're somewhat not sure about the whole situation. With "Jein" you are sure that something is complicated and two sides could apply.
People sometimes say "yes and no" in English.

Canadian English (not sure about French) contains a fair number of words in some of the indigenous languages. I can't imagine not having these words, because the alternative is just weirdly American.

In the winter, I wear a toque on my head, not a "beany."

I always liked the Spanish use of Ojalá and think it could have a happy home in most anglophone places. "Hopefully" is just a terrible word.

I like biftek better than steak.

It's not quite another language, but I do wish that mainstream English would adopt one of the various dialectic words for the second person plural (e.g. "y'all") or even go back to the archaic "ye". I've come to feel that it is actually quite useful to be able to distinguish between the singular and plural "you" in some situations.

You know, some words are just nicer than the equivalents in other languages, and just are some missing.

My desired "transfers" would be:

From English to German: "Sorry". The German word "Entschuldigung" or "Entschuldigen Sie bitte" is just too long. "Sorry" is short and clear, way better. (Also French "pardon" works)

From ...any language to French: A better word for "now". "Maintenant" is just too long, take it from English or German ("jetzt") or Dutch ("nu").

Are there any words you'd need in another language :)?

I like the word "Jein" very much and use it quite a lot with people who understand it.
During my work I was often together with people speaking English, Dutch and German, the German colleagues from the bordering NRW could often understand Dutch quite well, though we mostly did speak in English but showered with German words (or German technical terms). Jein among them.

One of the things I learned in Selling trainings was to distinguish between "Maloma" and "Takete" words.
"Ja" somewhat, but especially "Nein" are "Takete" words. Sharp consonants, the first one most important.
Just exaggerate a bit speaking out Takete and Maloma and look in a mirror. No wonder a baby likes Maloma soothing, comforting words, whereby the word mama is clearly more Maloma than papa.
If you need a price increase from a customer, you should not use the Takete word "increase", but the Maloma version "adapt" the price.
And "Jein" (that yes&no word) is a Maloma word, softening that you cannot give the (desired?) "yes". The J in Ja (yes) also more explosive than the J in Jein. Besides Jein also enabling to put more variations of intonation while speaking it.
In that vein: instead of saying yes to a question to do something I like "mach mal" (sure.. do it) making the Ja (yes) much more Maloma with the two words starting with the Maloma m.
OK is also a Takete word. When you say "Okido" the k of ok is already softened. But okido not always appropiate because it assumes a more closer relation.
I was in order to evade the word "ok" really fond of the Polish "dobra" (meaning ok and good) and the Turkish "taman" also nice. Bot much more Maloma.

But yeah, there are a lot of words missing in some languages where you then have to fall back on descrtiptions.
Putting aside the new technical words like PC or smartphone etc, also putting aside lingual purism like using "wentelwiek" in Flemish instead of the Dutch "helicopter" which is too French for true Flemish. and "chopper" imo the best word :).... Really interesting from the societal-cultural perspective WHY some languages miss those words, or why a seemingly "the same word" has another meaning or a clearly other flavour.

No word for Hofnungstraeger in English (or Dutch) and El Savador (Latin) or Verlosser (Dutch) go too far.
The good leader gives Verlass (reliable-responsible), is a Hofnungstraeger (there is a better future) and is Gerecht (is just) How does that translate in English ?
And how do you translate "de Rechtstaat, Rechtsstaatlichkeit" in English ? With "Rule of Law" ? It means so much more than just rule of law. And trying to explain with that laws were in the HRE (incl North Italy) the most cohesive factor and followed by Kant a typical central continental European product (not french or Spanish or English with their more centralistic and monarchy topdown history) (not the UK offsprings as well ofc).
Many traditional leftish and christian political ideologies of the end 19th and 20th century are much more based on the absolute centralistic history of England, France, Spain than the relative freeroom in a Rechtsstaat law framework.

With technical words I love new words from other languages wherever they are at least one word or shorter words.
The habit to use abbreviations as words (a US invention ?), like PC, NASA, etc one of the better inventions in language :)

Last edited:
The good leader gives Verlass (reliable-responsible), is a Hofnungstraeger (there is a better future) and is Gerecht (is just) How does that translate in English ?
We'd order it the other way round: "fair, trustworthy, and a beacon of hope" ;)

(...)
Putting aside the new technical words like PC or smartphone etc, also putting aside lingual purism like using "wentelwiek" in Flemish instead of the Dutch "helicopter" which is too French for true Flemish. and "chopper" imo the best word :).... Really interesting from the societal-cultural perspective WHY some languages miss those words, or why a seemingly "the same word" has another meaning or a clearly other flavour.

Sounds more like Afrikaans than it does like Flemish to be honest, although Helicopter sounds more like "elekopter" in Flemish :)

No word for Hofnungstraeger in English (or Dutch) and El Savador (Latin) or Verlosser (Dutch) go too far.
The good leader gives Verlass (reliable-responsible), is a Hofnungstraeger (there is a better future) (...)

idk.

(...) and is Gerecht (is just) How does that translate in English ?

"Righteous" I think.

We'd order it the other way round: "fair, trustworthy, and a beacon of hope" ;)

Fair is also fully valid in a situation where no law is really applicable, more based on a peer to peer relation. Gerecht (just) does much more contain in compliance to law, to the foundational principles of a law system.

A "beacon of hope" goes imo, like El Salvador, Verlosser, too far for the more down to earth meaning of Hofnungstraeger which goes more in the direction of the static "a safe pair of hands" but including a good feeling for the future.

Thrustworthy is (for my feeling) going in the direction of a ad hominem trust. Can I trust the MP I voted for.
Reliability-responsibility for a leader goes beyonde that integrity aspect towards a captain also knowing how to steer in heavy weather for the good of all.

Sounds more like Afrikaans than it does like Flemish to be honest, although Helicopter sounds more like "elekopter" in Flemish :)

Is popular as example in NL, but... I digged in... what is internet a lovely tool... it is a myth and just a rarely used word in both Dutch and Flemish. But it was such a nice example for the Flemish avoiding of gallicisms :(

Using "aanvaarden" instead of "accepteren" (both to accept, but "accepter" French) a boring example of purist preference.

Gallicisms are actually fairly popular in Flemish dialects - understandably so given our history.

In fact use of those so-called "leenwoorden" are often what differentiates the dialects from "standaard Nederlands".

The way PhroX wants a plural "you" in English (which would have the further advantage on CFC of saving us from one poster's ludicrous "royal you"), I think there words from earlier English usage that have unfortunately dropped out of the language. One is "gainsay." A person can say "I'll not gainsay that." It means "I won't say no to that." But it's not an exact equivalent to anything we would use: deny, oppose, contradict, refute. It's lighter. It doesn't commit one to saying why one won't say "no," and therefore doesn't commit one to arguing a particular point.

Just as I like French biftek over English steak. I like roti de boeuf, roast of beef, better than "roast beef." I like both the "of" and the more mouth-involving "boeuf" for the meat itself.

Mandarin has four words for aunt: father's sister (gugu), mother's sister (yíma), father's brother's wife (shenshen), and mother's brother's wife (jiùma). I find the fact that there aren't goto terms in English to distinguish between an aunt (or uncle) by marriage or by blood relation to be annoying.

Mandarin has four words for aunt: father's sister (gugu), mother's sister (yíma), father's brother's wife (shenshen), and mother's brother's wife (jiùma). I find the fact that there aren't goto terms in English to distinguish between an aunt (or uncle) by marriage or by blood relation to be annoying.

We say in Dutch where we want to be precise and distinguish:
plain "oom" (uncle) or "aangetrouwde oom" which translates in Google Translate to "uncle by marriage". Same with aunt etc. Together the "aangetrouwde" family.
Quite important for the table order during weddings etc, but further no real practical use.

Yeah... I'd not trust you people with the family relations. Dutch doesn't distinguish between cousin and nephew/niece, and I'd find that actually more important lol.

Apparently Turkish does something similar, although I don't know the words right now.
That's indeed more useful than simply uncle and aunt.

Top Bottom