Who does all the languages in Civ 4?

French and English obviously aren't a problem, did they bring in some linguist for a day to speak authentic Sumerian/Akkadian/Mayan/Egyptian/Syriac or whatnot? Did they actually get Malinese to speak Malinese, or is it some American with a bad accent? I noticed the Mayan sounds seem to have an toffy English accent, or is that just me?
Something I've wondered about for a while.

I believe they brought in native speakers for the still-living languages (note, this would probably not include Classical Nahuatl, for example, even though there are quite a few modern Nahuatl speakers) and linguists for the dead languages. I am not sure of this, however.

I've always wondered about that too: how exactly did people figure out how ancient, long-extinct languages sounded like? Writing preserves much better than speech, so how'd they come up with the sounds associated with the written words?

There's a couple of threads out there that have translations and pronunciations for most the "surviving" languages but lacking the "dead" languages, because although we have a fairly good idea of how to express ideas through writing in those languages, they couldn't find people who actually know how to speak the language and are willing to post their transliterations.

Anyway, personally the Sumerian unit speech vaguely reminds me of Malay, while the British speech sounds like the same guy they hired to do the American speech, only they made him speak it with a faux British accent. And for some reason I find the German and Dutch unit speeches quite amusing - they sound like they have a very bad stuttering/snoring problem

I've always wondered about that too: how exactly did people figure out how ancient, long-extinct languages sounded like? Writing preserves much better than speech, so how'd they come up with the sounds associated with the written words?

Where something's known, poetry and verse can be a great aid; the pronunciation of classical Latin was revolutionised in the 20th century when someone thought of asking how the poetry was meant to scan and rhyme.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Latin translations are mostly done in a word-for-word manner and would receive several red crosses at the hands of any self-respecting Latin schoolteacher. To take two examples:

in via sumus = lit. "on the way, we are"
= "we are physically located on a path"​

Quod exspectas? = lit. "which are you waiting for?"
= "[there is a thing] that you are waiting for?"​

The first phrase attempts to translate one language's idiom (a figurative use of language) into another's literal equivalent. The author has consulted a dictionary, discovered the Latin word for "way," the correct form of the verb "to be" and plugged the words together.

The second phrase fails to distinguish between the uses of the relative pronoun/interrogative adjective 'qui/quae/quod' and the interrogative pronoun 'quis/quid.' In brief, 'quod' can be used either to introduce a relative clause ("there is a plan that I'm concocting") or, when attached to a noun, as an interrogative adjective "what plan are you concocting?"). It cannot serve as an interrogative pronoun ("what are you concocting?").

For single words or basic phrases, the Latin is fine (e.g. eamus = "let's go").

My guess is that the same dictionary technique underpins the other ancient languages.

yes, they apparently took the idiom "we are on our way (to do something)" and crudely translated it.
The Greek in the game is modern Greek, for all I know.
I have no clue whether anyone knows how Akkadian oder Sumerian were pronounced.

I thought they we all done by Tom Kenny! "Oh Squidward! You declared on me!!"

I was disappointed when I realized the Egyptians in Civ4 speak Arabic, not Coptic. :mad:

French and English obviously aren't a problem, did they bring in some linguist for a day to speak authentic Sumerian/Akkadian/Mayan/Egyptian/Syriac or whatnot? Did they actually get Malinese to speak Malinese, or is it some American with a bad accent? I noticed the Mayan sounds seem to have an toffy English accent, or is that just me?
Something I've wondered about for a while.

It's me. I'm incredibly talented.

No! This actually makes me upset.
Seriously. They did Sumerian and Akkadian, but they couldn't do a language that is still used as a liturgical language by Egyptian Christians and still had native speakers as recently as a few decades ago?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Latin translations are mostly done in a word-for-word manner and would receive several red crosses at the hands of any self-respecting Latin schoolteacher.

And its not just the Ancient languages...

For example, no German soldier would ever say "Zum Aktion bereit". While not incorrect in this use, the work "Aktion" in german general referes to something like a campaing, a propotion, etc, not an individual act. In German, one would normaly just say "bereit!"

"Haben Sie einen Plan" almost sounds like questioning wether the order is random... Something like "Wie lautet die Plan" would be more normal.

The Germany soldiers also sometimes say "Okay", which admitedly is *almost* a part of German in the current generation, but "In Ordnung" would have been appropriate for the time period of the rulers in the game.

In the French, "Considérez ce travail accompli", for example, just sounds a big long and clumsy in responce to an millitary order, and "De quoi avez-vous besoin?" sounds more like something a nurse would say to a patient, than a soldier to his commander.

For example, no German soldier would ever say "Zum Aktion bereit". While not incorrect in this use, the work "Aktion" in german general referes to something like a campaing, a propotion, etc, not an individual act. In German, one would normaly just say "bereit!"

Your right, noone would say "Zum Aktion bereit" because that just wrong grammar. He says (which is correct btw.) "Zur Aktion bereit" - and allthough your point is not totally wrong, no German native speaker would have any problems understanding what is said or preceiving it as totally wrong or off. Especially if a worker says it who is about to be ordered to build a farm or a road. Those are "Aktionen".

"Haben Sie einen Plan" almost sounds like questioning wether the order is random... Something like "Wie lautet die Plan" would be more normal.

No, it maybe would be more normal (and gramatically correct) to say "Wie lautet der Plan" oder "Wie lautet Ihr Plan" - and both honestly sound a bit clunky and overblown. So although "Haben Sie einen Plan" really has a slight undertone of "Do you really know what you're doing", I as a native don't have any problem at all with that sentence. Actually I am surprised how good the German voice overs (the voice overs, not the general translation!) in the game are. Nimoys counterpart is - if I remember correctly - Joachim Fritsch, a well known German actor.

Still, the German often does not sound idiomatic, but "translated". Everybody will understand "Zur Aktion bereit", but noone would actually speak like that. Some translation in the Warlords manual are also clumsy, e.g. "Iron Works" and "Ironworking" are both translated as "Eisenverarbeitung"
Anyway, I play the Game in English, if only for the Nimoy quotations :D

Top Bottom