Why Americans dislike the French, or vice versa

I certainly haven't heard any Americans I've met say anything bad about France or vice versa. At least none who've visited the country of the other anyhoo...

On the Title thread: I wonder what was that big green lady in New York for?

the French are rude and stinky and i dislike rude stinky people

but i dont really have any problem with the french

What's weird is that every French person I've met in real life has been awesome. It's the ones on this forum who confirm the stereotype...

I have no problem with the French, actually I welcome their friendship.

They are a cultured nation with an honored history, who have stepped up for Western Civilization when no one else could. March proud France, march proud.

March to Berlin? We all know how THAT turned out :p

Now you see, that's a perfect example. I don't mind the French in all honesty, but wisecracks like that are sooo easy to stumble across.

Well as an art enthusiast I appreciate that the French are superior to everyone in the fine arts. The Italians had quite a go at it in the Renaissance, but after that it was all France. Even non-French artists such as Picasso and Van Gogh lived in Paris.

Caravaggio, Bernini, Tiepolo, Canova, Modigliani are nobody? Besides, brushing away our Renaissance as "had a go" (Leonardo, you "had a go", Michelangelo, you "had a go", Botticelli, you "had a go") is a wonderful way to dismiss it. :lol:

Caravaggio, Bernini, Tiepolo, Canova, Modigliani are nobody? Besides, brushing away our Renaissance as "had a go" (Leonardo, you "had a go", Michelangelo, you "had a go", Botticelli, you "had a go") is a wonderful way to dismiss it. :lol:

I certainly did not want to come across as dismissing the Italian Renaissance by any means. I meant to imply that since the Italian Renaissance, art has been influenced by France more than any other nation.
Van Gogh, Picasso, Dali (not Frenchmen, but spent their prime artistic years in Paris),
Cezanne, Renoir, Manet, Monet, Rodin, Seurat, Duchamp, Toulouse Lautrec, Delacroix, Watteau, David, Manet, Matisse, Degas, Braque, Mondrian, Gauguin, Magritte (actually a Walloon), to name the most well known.

I would have to say it's the De Gaulle style image that a few people label French people under. Just how British people are labeled under the 'imperial' sterotype. And I seriously have not talked to anybody here in New Jersey who likes the De Gaulle sterotype. Still, while some people like to say Americans are sterotypically arrogant (which they are), the French sterotype is equally as arrogant.

From what I see I just believe the French are just plain rude and snobby...

You sure you didn't mix that up with east coast America?

I certainly admire the French! They certainly gave Europe a run for their money during the 1800's! Even doing what Hitler couldn't do and taking Moscow.

Top Bottom