Why conservatives don't like marijuana

In fact the Czechs have been advocating internationally for global liberalisation and a move away from criminalisation and punishment, here's what they submitted to the UN Commission on Narcotic Drugs in March this year:

Today, more than ever before, a strong emphasis on human rights, dignity and freedom must be the core of drug policies. We should continue in our endeavour to guard vulnerable groups, regardless of their age, colour, gender or nationality. Everyone has the right to enjoy the highest attainable standard of physical and mental health. In this regard, we underscore our strong commitment to the comprehensive outcome document of the 2016UNGASS and all commitments set in international human rights law. We must promote a truly evidence-based approach on harm reduction philosophy. Evidence today leads us towards abandoning extreme punitive policies based on the non-attainable ideology of an abstinent world. This ideology actually seems to create more serious unwanted consequences than provide solutions, such as destabilising countries and whole regions,creating narco states and contributing to globally organized crime, corrupting governments, or stigmatizing people with mental health problems, and even creating epidemics. The victims of such harsh policies still based on the idea of the War on Drugsare usually those most vulnerable people. In this regard, we must strongly oppose the imposition of disproportionate and inhumane penalties, especially the death penalty, for drug-related offences. We must support policies, such as decriminalization of drugs for personal use, that are, as evidence proven, the right way forward.
To be clear, this is a radical statement compared to much of what you will hear from any national government in the anglo countries and is borderline a direct attack on the traditional stance of a country like the United States at these fora.

"Good lord you don't even understand the terms you're trying to argue here, do you? An administrative fine isn't a criminal sanction. It's the equivalent of a parking ticket. No criminal record, no threat of jail."

If you ever followed my posts in this thread you would know I was never that in or a fanatic for criminalization. Or that jail was the miracle solution. No.

I said pragmatically that the Cze solution was best. That's all.

Honestly, I have a moral problem with people who start with substance/narcotics or even alcohol abuse as a kinda of (pseudo) solution to their own problems. It's kinda like video game addiction. If you suffer from that, if you just drink too much because you have like a girlfriend or college problem, you need to get a life, see a real psychologist, whatever. Because substance abuse or alcohol abuse isn't a real solution, but a false one, you'll get dull and forget your problems but they'll stick there.

But in pragmatic terms, the CZE progressive legislation seems fine to me. Actually, can you pinpoint to me saying "hey prison is the miracle work"?? No. I never argued for that. So you're making a strawman here. I already made my own points clear, btw.

"Good lord you don't even understand the terms you're trying to argue here, do you? An administrative fine isn't a criminal sanction. It's the equivalent of a parking ticket. No criminal record, no threat of jail."

If you ever followed my posts in this thread you would know I was never that in or a fanatic for criminalization. Or that jail was the miracle solution. No.

I said pragmatically that the Cze solution was best. That's all.

Honestly, I have a moral problem with people who start with substance/narcotics or even alcohol abuse as a kinda of (pseudo) solution to their own problems. It's kinda like video game addiction. If you suffer from that, if you just drink too much because you have like a girlfriend or college problem, you need to get a life, see a real psychologist, whatever. Because substance abuse or alcohol abuse isn't a real solution, but a false one, you'll get dull and forget your problems but they'll stick there.

But in pragmatic terms, the CZE progressive legislation seems fine to me. Actually, can you pinpoint to me saying "hey prison is the miracle work"?? No. I never argued for that. So you're making a strawman here. I already made my own points clear, btw.

If you're changing your position to "liberalising drug policy is good, actually, but imma still be mad and tut-tut people about taking drugs just personally because of plato or whatever", then I'd say that's some damn good posting work on my part.

You still need to drop that weird idea it's an anglo thing though. Anglo countries are behind the curve on progressive drug policy.

If you're changing your position to "liberalising drug policy is good, actually, but imma still be mad and tut-tut people about taking drugs just personally", then I'd say that's some damn good posting work on my part

No, the problem is pretending substance\alcohol abuse isn't a problem, and pretending we can't have checks for that. I argued that substantially, but hey, according to what I said about CZE legislation, it's already a criminal offense to do any stuff in excess. That's good enough for me, pragmatically.

No, the problem is pretending substance\alcohol abuse isn't a problem, and pretending we can't have checks for that.
literally nobody is doing this mate lol. Substance use disorder is a health problem, nobody is pretending it isn't. It's in the DSM 5 and everything.

literally nobody is doing this mate lol. Substance use disorder is a health problem, nobody is pretending it isn't. It's in the DSM 5 and everything.

OK, fine, so I got nothing to add. Alcohol abuse and substance abuse are a significant social concern globally. That's all. But I've never said criminalization was the magic wand to solve all that. In fact fines and mandatory rehab without criminal character might be much better, that's all.

But why discuss all drug use as undifferentiated and as abuse?

We all know Jesus loves marijuana.

As King Missile said - Jesus was way cool. I would link the song but it probably runs afoul of forum rules.

The right wing fetishizes how the left wing already lives.

While Conservative administrations started waging war on drugs in the late 60s and 70s, the CIA was deeply involved in arms and drug trafficking in Southeast Asia.

I agree that the marijuana question is linked to who uses the drug in the eyes of those advocating a ban and harsh sentences to drug users.

Not cannabis, but interesting to see legislation against tobacco moving in the opposite direction:

I believe New Zealand has a similar policy already in law.

Thoughts on this? Does anyone support legalising marijuana whilst supporting this ban? Will we see tobacco descend into the illegal drugs world as a consequence?

Not cannabis, but interesting to see legislation against tobacco moving in the opposite direction:

Thoughts on this? Does anyone support legalising marijuana whilst supporting this ban? Will we see tobacco descend into the illegal drugs world as a consequence?

I generally think if you're old enough to enlist in the military you're old enough to do whatever drug you want.

I don't really agree with Rishi Sunak on this.

Ian Dunt has an interesting article; although I don't agree with him about the ban being popular.

It seem to me like an example of the proverbial dead cat being thrown on the table to distract people from government underperformance.

Its a nothing policy. Smoking amongst the under-16s has dropped massively in recent years.
Being tough on smoking but doing nothing about single-use vapes is just chasing headlines.

Sometimes marijuana smells like farts.

I'd guess that might be a logical consequence of eating marijuana cake.

Its a nothing policy. Smoking amongst the under-16s has dropped massively in recent years.
Being tough on smoking but doing nothing about single-use vapes is just chasing headlines.

There must be a lot of money in vaping, I wonder how much ends up in politicians' pockets.

Top Bottom