Why do NESes fail?

Birdjaguar

Hanafubuki
Super Moderator
Supporter
It seems that lots of NESes get off to a great start then crash and burn. Without getting personal, why is that? I've listed some questions that come to mind. Pick and choose or come up with your own.

Is it because mods lose interest?
Is modding is too time consuming or difficult to do well?
Or do players lose interest and move on the the next "new" game?
Is real life too distracting or is it just that "new" games are "always" better?
Do more games fail becasue the mod quits or because players lose interest?
Would most NESers rather play a good game or mod a good game?

I calculated stNNES X as lowering my math grade by 5%. Alone.

Modding is a huge responsibility, and when something bad happens--be it something in the family, or a player you really liked quitting, that's usually enough by itself to close an NES.

i think it is a combination of players lossing interest and mods lossing interest because players loss interest

or sometimes its because players look like they have lost interest

Kentharu said:
or sometimes its because players look like they have lost interest

Agreed. A comment like "Oh, well this was expected. :rolleyes:" is perhaps one of the most stupid and maddening things you can say to someone who is in the middle of investing hours and hours of their time to get you an update, enough that often enough, it kills the NES in and of itself.

Players who whine about how an update isn't coming along as quickly as they'd like ought to be shot. The minimum I've heard an update taking these days is 2 hours. Assuming you pay them minimum wage, even, you'd be talking $15 dollars worth of time that the mod is doing for you, unpaid. Some updates can take as much as 6 hours of straight work, or even days. So what's an update worth? Anywhere from $10 to > $100 of work for the mod. Unless we start paying moderators, then shut up, because it's a massive chunk of time that they're devoting to your enjoyment.

Most often it is because of mods losing interest; all other things you mentioned merely cause them to lose interest, and only in this way are trully a factor in the failure of NESes (granted, there are exceptions).

Or do players lose interest and move on the the next "new" game?
Is real life too distracting or is it just that "new" games are "always" better?
Do more games fail becasue the mod quits or because players lose interest?

Most of my NESes fail because of lack of player involvement. I've only ended 2 neses because I lost interest.

So...
Player impatience affects mod committment
Time committment required for good modding is unappreciated by players.

Mostly players losing intrest, I suppose.

Players who whine about how an update isn't coming along as quickly as they'd like ought to be shot. The minimum I've heard an update taking these days is 2 hours. Assuming you pay them minimum wage, even, you'd be talking $15 dollars worth of time that the mod is doing for you, unpaid. Some updates can take as much as 6 hours of straight work, or even days. So what's an update worth? Anywhere from $10 to > $100 of work for the mod. Unless we start paying moderators, then shut up, because it's a massive chunk of time that they're devoting to your enjoyment.

I agree with this 100 %.

My experience since February has been that mods have shut down the games even though the players seem active and excited about the NES. Mostly time is the stated reason.

Birdjaguar said:
My experience since February has been that mods have shut down the games even though the players seem active and excited about the NES. Mostly time is the stated reason.

One of the ones you're speaking of was my stNNES X, right? As I have mentioned above, that one did indeed end due to time constraints, not lack of mod interest. I actually wanted to restart that NES, but after a mod closed it for spam, I decided against PMing him to revive it.

Lack of player interest tends to negatively affect moderator interest.

Waiting a long time for an update kills my interest, we have to wait a week for each update now.
Sometimes you just dont get a feel for Nes, or sometimes a mod just kills a game you were excited about, because he didnt get feel for it either.

North King said:

Why dont you stop opening nes's and do us all a favour.

emu said:
Waiting a long time for an update kills my interest, we have to wait a week for each update now.

I know exactly what you mean. But if the NES is really good the time goes fast. Usually. But if its really good like JD's current nes. Time goes by slowly. :(

I hate when a mod kills a NES,just because he has no time. Keep it open,update little by little. If you do 1/7th of a Update a day. In a week you have a Update. You don't have to wait forever to write them.

Accually,if you can't get past 1-2 updates. Dont even try.

Luckymoose said:
I hate when a mod kills a NES,just because he has no time. Keep it open,update little by little. If you do 1/7th of a Update a day. In a week you have a Update. You don't have to wait forever to write them.

When it's a choice between keeping one NES open in a forum that already has 5 at the bare minimum, and suffering a massive hit in other areas of the life that actually affect you much later in life, well, the choice is all too easy.

clues in the name...

Perhaps comments about what mods "should" do should be made only by mods. Otherwise, one has no idea what exactly goes in to modding and/or how much work it is/takes and therefore one's opinion is, at best, irrelevant. If you have an idea about how a mod should behave, open an NES and behave that way yourself.

Given the numbers of players in current NESes and the length and breadth of orders, I think one update a week is really a job well done. Maybe that would be different if players gave orders differently, or if rules or stats were done differently, but the former is not up to the mod and the latter seems to be an evolution most people appreciate, otherwise one would assume it wouldn't be here.

Abaddon said:
clues in the name...

No-one expects them to last forever, but when one NES last 2 updates and another 50 its obvious which is the failure.

LittleBoots said:
Perhaps comments about what mods "should" do should be made only by mods. Otherwise, one has no idea what exactly goes in to modding and/or how much work it is/takes and therefore one's opinion is, at best, irrelevant. If you have an idea about how a mod should behave, open an NES and behave that way yourself.

Given the numbers of players in current NESes and the length and breadth of orders, I think one update a week is really a job well done.

I can comment on almost whatever I like, im not a god-damed window cleaner doesnt mean I cant tell him how it should be done nor am I a politician, or a head of state and yet everyone thinks they know how that should be done.
If they dont like modding then dont, if you think its a hassle or a waste of time then dont bother.

Luckymoose said:
I know exactly what you mean. But if the NES is really good the time goes fast. Usually. But if its really good like JD's current nes. Time goes by slowly. :(

Accually,if you can't get past 1-2 updates. Dont even try.
I'm working on it, okay? :p

North King said:
One of the ones you're speaking of was my stNNES X, right? As I have mentioned above, that one did indeed end due to time constraints, not lack of mod interest. I actually wanted to restart that NES, but after a mod closed it for spam, I decided against PMing him to revive it.
I'm trying to keep this general and not a place to point fingers. :) Part of my reason for it is to figure out how to make the first NES I start succeed. The second part is to better understand the dynamics between mods and players and how they affect a game.

Top Bottom