Why don't you play with mods?

What is the reason for you staying as Purist?

• I don't want to spoil the Original Game with those nasty files of corruption

Votes: 40 33.6%
  • Multiplayer :(

Votes: 26 21.8%
  • I don't have time/will to mess with configuring/trying new mods

Votes: 31 26.1%
  • I don't like mods

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • One day long ago, one modder killed my beaver and since then I don't trust them anymore

Votes: 23 19.3%
  • This game is Perfect for me

Votes: 10 8.4%

• Total voters
The poll appears to be missing an option for those who don't play with mods:

Because progress towards remaining steam achievements would come to a halt.

And it's also missing an option for those who do play with mods to say that they do.

In most games I don't play mods. Since usually, if it's a good game, the base game satisfies me, and if it's not a good game, I'm not going to bother with mods.

However, Civ is somewhat different since it's a historical game, and thus lends itself naturally to historical mods. Most of my Civ4 time lately is in mods. Civ3 is usually the base game, but not always. I haven't played enough Civ5 to be ready for mods of it (unless there's a more-than-one-unit-per-tile mod with good AI, in which case, I'll skip right to mods).

The mention of instability/crashes is interesting. This seems to be much more of an issue in Civ4 than in Civ3. I think it's because Civ4 allows more elaborate modding, and thus more ways to screw up. Civ3 does have a few gotchas, but they're usually caught before the mod is released. But how common bugs and crashes are also depends on the mod. Some teams and modders are very good at making sure their mods are stable; others aren't (this mostly applies to Civ4; again, this isn't really much of an issue with Civ3). However, I've never seen anything nefarious in mods, and have never had anything worse than a crash to desktop happen, so I'm willing to try out mods. I haven't tried Civ5 mods, so I'm not sure where they stand on the stability/crash-less-ness spectrum.

I didn't vote since I'm not the target demographics, mostly playing III and IV and being someone who does play mods at least sometimes.

It seems low as a percentage.

Consider this baseline -- all people who have purchased the game thru steam would be 100%. All people who have started up the game would be probably in the 78% range (since that's the amount who have an Ancient Ruin achievement, and that's probably the single best indicator of "have you at least TRIED the game?") Of the people who loaded the game, only 40% of those have dropped a nuke on someone else. It either means that only 1 in 3 people who purchased the game finished A game (since even if you were just playing one, wouldn't you drop a nuke just to try it?) or that achievements really aren't that big of a deal to the general populace. If people were REALLY worried about achievements, they would do something so simple as that to get one. That seems to me that the majority of people aren't. Achievements cater to this very small subset of people who don't consider a game "Complete" unless they obtain all of them. I personally find them contrived and a nonsensical way to introduce replay value into a game at no cost to the developers.

I don't know, in all the time I've played Civ3, which is over 10 years now, I've probably only used nukes on a single-digit number of occasions. There's a variety of reasons to not use nukes - mutually assured destruction, not believing in nukes and thus not wanting to in-game, usually having games finish before nukes come around. And that's not even counting those who play the game for half an hour, do something else, and it sites in their backlog for years. So 32% does not seem low to me.

But I also think most people don't really care about achievements, or at least not so much as to go out of their way for them. Look at most any game with them, and there's almost always several with something like 0.2% accomplished. I don't think they're totally useless - well-implemented, they can be a decent source of ideas for gameplay variants, although the grindy ones are probably more common - but I don't think many people are completionists with them. So I agree with your conclusion about achievements, even if the percentage doesn't seem low to me.

Hmm... odd poll. :D

I believe the top reasons are mainly (note: these don't all represent my own opinions):

• Multiplayer.

• Achievements.

• Hall of Fame / High Scores

• Desire to play in a standard manner; since a majority of the player base probably don't use mods.

• Fully trusting in Firaxis.
    • Stability: believing the code is solid with few bugs or errors.

• Content: believing Firaxis knows their game best and are the most trustworthy to modify its content or add to it.
  • Distrust in modders.
    • Stability: fear of crashes or buggy gameplay; especially after investing many turns and time into a game.

• Content: fear of the author over-modding an initial concept with additional hidden unbalancing changes, along with not fully understanding their modifications' impact on the game.

I only play with "comfort" mods like InfoAddict or flavour ones like the R.E.D Modpack or the historical religions one. I don't use gameplay mods because the game is what it is, if I'm playing with a mod that changes the social policy tree, I'm no longer playing Civ V, I'm playing this weird other game that looks a lot like Civ V, but isn't it. It's not particularly rational, it's the same reason I don't play with variants of boardgames for example.

Mods claim to make the game better and more balanced but after playing them for awhile I still find the original game more balanced. After all its a product of a team of professionals.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Mods claim to make the game better and more balanced but after playing them for awhile I still find the original game more balanced. After all its a product of a team of professionals.

It has taken 3 years of development for the professional team to fix and balance the original game to it's current state (and from what they've started from, they've done a good job, remember the game in 2010 ?)

I'm pretty sure than now that modders can work on a good base, you'll get fixed and balanced mods in less time.

I understand Krajzen's question as partially being "why do some people complain so much about the game, yet refuse to use mods that address their complaints?" It's as if only an official fix would satisfy them, even though a fanmade one could do the exact same thing. :lol:

When vanilla CiV came out I used VEM mod to make the game better. As time went by CiV added in the features from VEM that made it great. When G&K came out the code for the mods were broken and never quite got fixed before BNW came out. The VEM mod changed to GEM and now Communitas. The team there does a great job but some of the changes go in directions that I don't like and I do not know how to mod myself to change things to how I want them. Also I am not sure that the AI can use the features that are added.

I'm on a mac.

Also, if I did play mods, I would probably play as different modded civilizations for rp purposes (like, choose a pony, GoT, or Avatar nation) because that sounds pretty fun. Still, I would probably go inevitably back to the unmodded game because I think it's a good one, and there's a part of me that feels as though changing the game to allow for more strategies isn't as 'good' a strategy as trying to change your gameplay to meet the challenges of the game. That said, if others are having more fun with mods, go for it!

2. I notice that once I start loading mods, I stop playing games. This seems to be a pattern with me. I start modding up, and then I lose the kernel of joy that I once had playing the game. Then I stop playing.

Yeah this is me too, also, i find the civ 4 mods much better and higher quality Anyone else?

Steam achievements and hall of fame! (I think mods stop HoF score counting don't they?). That's really it.

My day job is ensuring quality control. It dictates that I don't trust professional engineers and challenge their work to the best of my ability. I have a hard time trusting the Civ5 engineers, let alone some random script kid or developer in a dangeon.

No disrepect... If I don't know who's writing the code and who's testing it I'm not running it.

You have a point with regard to complex mods, or combinations thereof, but otherwise no.

Alot of popular mods are extremely simple. You can look at the code yourself -- *I* can look at it. As for testing it, what are we testing for? The gameplay will be different, you'll either like it or not ...

Some mods only affect the interface. Others, like the Historical Religions mod, are just flavor.

To be clear, I don't use any really complex mods, unless certain map scripts count. I use simple mods, always.

You missed an option:

I do use mods. Well, mod civs at any rate. I'm trying to learn how to make my own, but lacking programming education, it's been slow going.

I have asked myself this question myself since most of my games are attempts for obtaining victory in the highest level possible.
Other,
I don't use mods because you need to put more effort into understanding different patterns, new sets of rules or instructions, which get away from the general play now that I'm already used to. Simply starting a new random map, random civilization and random setting is a lot easier to do when things go wrong. I'm taking it easy and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Do you? . I'm not saying that I don't have the time to work the mods, I'm saying that some mods you can't even download well to get them work.

I understand Krajzen's question as partially being "why do some people complain so much about the game, yet refuse to use mods that address their complaints?" It's as if only an official fix would satisfy them, even though a fanmade one could do the exact same thing. :lol:

Theres a problem. Fan made ones may fix things that official ones wont be fixing. most fan made mods change too many things at once which some you might agree on and some you wont. Official patches have often satisfied me with all of their fixes. They often would avoid controversial changes. I rather they not fix it than fix it wrong.

Yeah this is me too, also, i find the civ 4 mods much better and higher quality Anyone else?

One of the civilization 4 mods had a primitive ranged unit attack that civilization 5 has but civilization 4 didn't. This is how all the range in civilization 5 got started.

I haven't modded yet, but if I do mod, all I would do is add civ's to the game. The others aren't that important, although info addict seems very good

I used to use mods all the time: from fixes I thought should be in the game (stone works in plains, copper added to mint, start with scout), simple mods (info addict), civs (Canada), and cheat mods (really advanced setup, in-game editor, unlimited barb xp). I found that when Jain mods I was never finishing games. Either because, no matter how fairly I used the RAS or IGE it felt like cheating (unlimited barb xp IS cheating, period); and, I'd never have a HoF high score to try to beat.

A problem with mods I found, is that sorting through them on steam I constantly found myself saying "too OP" far too often. Even the Canada mod I have, +2 culture and half unhappy for each new city, yea too much (although the Hudson Bay Co and Mountie UU/UB were well balanced). You can see evidence when posters make suggestions on "improving/buffing" a civ - they always ask for too much, in a lot of cases WAY too much; and it carries over to mods as well. There is simply too much unbalanced chaff for me to bother sorting through it anymore.

Sure there are good mods to be found, personally I'd like a huge earth map with real world start locations and resource placements (but in a situation where an Internet connection for my computer can't happen at the moment). But ultimately I'm finding out from playing so much recently unmodded - that the game is actually fine as is, firaxis did a pretty damn good job (the only "real" fix this game needs is make the AI better at combat and the diplo needs some real cleaning up).

So chalk me up as: Lazy, wanting my HoF high scores, and finding out that most mods really are "cheats" (hey I'm not knocking it! I used up up down down left right left right B A B A start jus as much as anyone, I just get bored of games quicker when cheating).

Oh and whoever claimed Unlimited Barb XP isn't cheating..... HAHAHAHA that's a good one! When I can roll up on another civ in the classical era with ranged that have logistics an extra range - it's a frigging cheat! I can't do that nearly as effectively by "farming" a CS (which has diplo repercussions to it as well).

The funny thing about achievements is that no one but you cares about them. So all you need to do is eliminate one person from caring about them and you're completely free to do whatever you want.
That is completely true and is exactly why it makes ZERO sense that we don't earn achievements if we play with mods. I mean, why not? It's not like we take anything away from anybody.

Anyway, I play with mods, so I guess I'm disqualified from posting in this thread. :p

Top Bottom