Why the hate for the consoles?

Personally, the only console I would not buy out of the Wii, 360 and PS3 is the PS3. Partially because I despise Sony's tactic of using their console to win the HD format war, and partially because I'm not a fan of RPGs which is the main drawcard of the PS3. Plus, the 360 is cheaper than the PS3 and they both share a large number of games with each other anyway, and the sixaxis is a chunkier PS2 controller with a useless motion-sensor (which I find incredibly uncomfortable).

Actually, right now the PS3 has only one RPG on it, while the 360 has a whole bunch of really good ones :) But all your other points are valid and I agree with them(and would add that while they share a bunch of games, I find the 360 has better exclusives)

Consoles are good if you like crappy games and outdated technology

Funny...the 360 and PS3 are more powerful than the recommended requirements for Civ4, and could likely play Crysis better than 80% of computers(if it was coded for them, that is)...and the Wii has entirely new technology that's never been used before in video games.

Why the hate for consoles? Dumbed down games, and often dumbed down gamers clogging up game sites with inane questions rife with misspellings and no punctuation.

You seriously think there are no dumbed down gamers or games on the PC, and that PC gamers actually know how to spell and punctuate? I highly disagree with you...I find I'm generally in the minority in keeping good grammar when typing online.

So you guys wanna talk about gameplay, and you won't even try a free game because of it's graphics? I'm not knocking you guys, I too was very skeptical at first.

ASCII may seem primitive, but it's taken to an art form here. One glance at the screen and you can tell whos thirsty, hungry, depressed, crazy... how the air smells, how deep the water is, what species of tree something is, anything you can imagine. In a communicative sense, it shows more detail than normal graphics. Once you get some familarity with the symbolism, you only notice the situation in all of it's depth, not the graphics.

I was very surprised by that myself.

I talk gameplay, and I talk down graphics...but no matter how good that game may be, I can't get past ASCII graphics. I've tried to play a number of ASCII graphics games in the past, and I just can't do it. I agree ASCII graphics are an art form...that may be why I can't stand them. I hate art. lol

PC gamers brought this onto themselves.

There is only one major reason for game industry moving away from the PC market and towards the consoles. Piracy.

Actually, I think the reason is that console games work out of the box, while you often have to spend hours figuring out why the game won't work with your PC hardware.

And there's also the problem that games, even Civ4, come out running only on the latest most expensive PCs.

ahem GTA 4

Which is going to look better and run better on PC when it gets released. GTA4 averages under 30 fps on the 360 (better than the PS3) at 1280x720 (also better than the PS3). Expect nice PCs to push 60 fps at 1920x1200.

Funny...the 360 and PS3 are more powerful than the recommended requirements for Civ4, and could likely play Crysis better than 80% of computers(if it was coded for them, that is)...and the Wii has entirely new technology that's never been used before in video games.

80%+ of computers are meant for office work, so that's to be expected. As it currently stands, a $140 PC video card has more power than a console, and a high-end PC easily doubles that graphical ability.

I talk gameplay, and I talk down graphics...but no matter how good that game may be, I can't get past ASCII graphics. I've tried to play a number of ASCII graphics games in the past, and I just can't do it. I agree ASCII graphics are an art form...that may be why I can't stand them. I hate art. lol

Agreed, ASCII symbols are completely arbitrary, and translate poorly into representing graphics. A limited number of sprites/tiles replacing ASCII symbols can be much more intuitive.

And there's also the problem that games, even Civ4, come out running only on the latest most expensive PCs.

That is in no way accurate, Civ4 runs fine on mid-range PCs that are 3-4 years old. High-end PCs from 2002, six years ago, meet the recommended requirements for Civ4.

really? you can get a graphics card for $140 that's twice as powerful as the most powerful one that was available in 2006?

I got both pc and a 360,i just think pc game sells have fallen because of the high requirements some of the top pc games have for you to play on the best settings and the hassle sometimes you have to go through to upgrade you're pc every couple of years:badcomp:. I just think everything is getting really expensive. I still love playing turn based games on my pc though because i can take my time and most of them dont need alot resources to run but when it comes to fast paced games i rather play them on a console where i can relax in my couch with a controller and just pop in the game and start playing alone or with friends.[pimp]

really? you can get a graphics card for $140 that's twice as powerful as the most powerful one that was available in 2006?

Not sure where the 2006 date comes in to play, and I said the $140 card was simply more powerful, not twice as powerful. And actually, drop that to $130, I see the card available cheaper.

Anyhow, PS3 card is a variant of the Geforce 7 cards, falls between the 7800 GTX and 7900 GTX in power.

PS3 RSX: 500 MHz core, 256MB 128-bit 700 MHz memory, 24 pixel shaders, 8 vertex shaders, 24 texture mapping units, 8 render output units
Geforce 7900 GTX: 650 MHz core, 512MB 256-bit 800 MHz memory, 24 pixel shaders, 8 vertex shaders, 24 texture mapping units, 16 render output units

The 360 card is an ATI card, approximately similar to the R600 cards, but DX9.

Xenos: 500 MHz core, 512MB 128-bit 700 MHz memory, 48 unified shaders, 16 texture mapping units, 8 render output units

There's a lack of real similar desktop cards available to compare with (could go with the 3650, although more powerful, it would prove my point), so I'll just assume the 360 GPU is 15% faster than the PS3 one. (Going by the mean of these frame rate results).

Going by the tomshardware GPU charts, for overall FPS in all games:
7900 GTX (already more powerful than the PS3): 1612.40
Estimated Xenos score (15% greater than the 7900 GTX): 1854.26

The 9600 GT is slightly faster than the ATI HD3870, which scores 1839.90 on the tomshardware charts.

well, I ask about twice as powerful as the most powerful card available in 2006, because that's how powerful the 360 and PS3 graphics cards are supposed to be(according to the respective companies)...twice as powerful as the top of the line in 2006, when they were released.

well, I ask about twice as powerful as the most powerful card available in 2006, because that's how powerful the 360 and PS3 graphics cards are supposed to be(according to the respective companies)...twice as powerful as the top of the line in 2006, when they were released.

They aren't, if you look at the specs, or measure their performance, they're very similar to top of the line cards released at the same time. (ie. 7900 GTX)

If NVidia or ATI were able to make significantly more powerful cards for the consoles at the time, they would have released variants for PC use as well.

edit: NVidia actually made the claim that the RSX would be twice as powerful as 6800 Ultra, which is fairly accurate, athough the 6800 Ultra was released in 2004.

ah, ok...so that must have just been one-up-manship or something when they both started bragging about super powerful cards lol

Which is going to look better and run better on PC when it gets released. GTA4 averages under 30 fps on the 360 (better than the PS3) at 1280x720 (also better than the PS3). Expect nice PCs to push 60 fps at 1920x1200.

i never said that gta 4 wouldn't look better on pc's.

besides the fact that it probably wouldn't look better on the majority of pc's, most of which wouldn't be able to run it, and that's even if it came out for pc's.

i never said that gta 4 wouldn't look better on pc's.

besides the fact that it probably wouldn't look better on the majority of pc's, most of which wouldn't be able to run it, and that's even if it came out for pc's.

Zelig already addressed that most pc's aren't designed for gaming. Making the bolded part completely moot. And the part I've underlined? Of course it will come out on PC, what was the last GTA game which hasnt been ported to PC?

I enjoy GTA4, Grand Tourismo and Eye of Judgment on my PS3, while still playing Civ 4 on my PC. I get the best of both worlds.

And yes - Piracy is #1 reason for decline of PC gaming. Game developers are out there to make money, not be your friends. If 90% of your product is being stolen on the market - you move to a different one.

PC is not cheaper. Try putting a PC together today, with all the features included in PS3, for the same price - you can't. You won't be even able to do it for double the price. Blue-ray player alone will cost you what PS3 does.

this is the most hilarious thread i have read in a long time. you're all really funny.

IMHO none of these are really comparable.

the 360 you all praise as better and cheaper than a PS3 doesn't come with a HD drive so how can you compare. Do i really save any money buy the time i put a HD drive on it? no, not really.

most people i know that bought a PS3 didn't but it for the games, they bought it for the Bluray to play movies. cheapest way to get HD. games are just an added benefit although i have found some good ones.

Wii sells so well because of price. it was never intended to be high end. it does however provide an extremely interactive game play. mariocart, super smash brothers, Wii fit.

pc's have thier own market and you don't really have to break the bank to get something that will play most new games extremely well. the $2000 pc (far from high end) i bought 2 years ago is working well and i haven't found anything yet it won't play. 2.66 dual core, ati x1900 with 512 meg and 2 gig ram. i'm not into run and shoot. getting to old for that twitch and click stuff. prefer turn based stratagy although i do like Oblivion and prefer it on the PC over PS3.

each has it's own advantages and disadvantages and i hope they all continue to thrive and grow.

GAME ON, NEVER GAME OVER!!!

because, CIV 5 IS GONNA OWN!!

I cant even express what a joke my anticipation level went into the toilet.
Console? What a joke! I have xbox360 and ps3 and pc and who the hell
would want to play it on damn console specially multi player. Sid you lost
a huge fan my man... Redeem yourself with civ 5 for pc only!

You seriously think there are no dumbed down gamers or games on the PC, and that PC gamers actually know how to spell and punctuate? I highly disagree with you...I find I'm generally in the minority in keeping good grammar when typing online.

Wow, you really beat the hell out of that strawman. I don't know why you ascribe to me something I did not say. You quoted me so I have to assume that you read what I said. Let me clarify so you can respond to a genuine opinion rather than one you made up.

I know for a fact that their are lazy, stupid unlettered barbarians who play PC games. But I also know that these types are even more common in the console world. People joke about it constantly on game sites dedicated to games which have been released on both types of system. You would regularly see more or less the same post written in the form of a text message asking:

"How come I can't do X or Y? It suxor!"

The answer was invariably:

"Because you have the console version of the game, please read the FAQs or the bolded, topped thread which deals directly with your question."

I personally don't hate console gamers. Their biggest crime is that they are generally young, and don't have the financial wherewithall to have a nice office with a decent PC like I do. But I do hate what consoles are doing to PC games. They are taking most of the retail shelf space and some of the design talent from PC games. In general the games designed for consoles are aimed at a lot younger demographic with a more run of the mill I.Q. The games can't be modded, and have severely limited input options which tend to relegate them more to the twitch category of gaming.

In other words console games are not for me, but compete indirectly with the type of games that I do enjoy. I think you will find a lot of the "hate" for consoles by other people is for similar reasons. The fact that consoles are also the ultimate camel's nose for those who seek to control every aspect of your electronic entertainment is just icing on the cake.

Well, while I am going to get a console (ps3) my main problem with them is- Priority. Almost no good strat games and few good western RPGs. These are the games I like but are not very high on the priorities list for the programers for Consoles. Too many sports, racing, fighting, FPS for me. I am not 14 anymore and fancy graphics only do so much for me (the PC has the BEST graphics anyway...if you are into that).

I would be a very happy person indeed if Strat and RPG games got the attention on consoles that they are given on the PC. But these type games arent " for the masses" thus they are VERY few and far between. I doubt this will change any time soon.

Top Bottom