"Wokeist" - When people talk about progressivism without acquaintance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tldw : 'progressives' might benefit from being more of a big tent party & less purity testy. Considering democracy is a popularity contest they might benfit from trying to be more popular.

The thing is that the left doesn't do it efficiently. Yes, the stereotypical person you refer to tries to direct language, but the attempts have a hard time cementing themselves outside leftist circles. The left has a very hard time restructuring language in the centre. The right is just better at it, it has succeeded several times. It has picked up on observations of left-leaning researchers about this stuff and have weaponized it.
Okay, we may have missed the earlier point when I asked for example. I wasn't specifically about "insults" by themselves. I was asking about examples of "the right" being able to warp language as you say. To change meaning for words to the general public that aren't specifically from the "woke" wing of the political spectrum.
Because I see many people making claims about it, but I still don't see such cases. Yeah, the right tried to make "liberal" an insult. It failed. It tried to make anyone left of Reagan a "commie". It also failed. Both are pretty ingrained in the right-wing lingo, but they didn't caught outside, and when someone call you a "liberal" or a "commie" as if they were insults, it tends to tell more about them than about you.

So I'm still asking for examples of this right-sponsored warping of the language that spilled over the general public.
Am I regretful that the left doesn't warp language? I mean, in a way, not really, but in a way, it's saddening to see. It's good because we have enough distortion as is, but it's alarming because regardless of what's right, some people are benefiting from language warping and there seems to be not much stopping it from happening, from what we can see in public discourse. I don't want the left to misdirect language but as is it seems to have difficulties just correctly directing it.

That you don't see eye to eye as to how language is actively warped here is fine. Like to me it's obvious, it's constantly happening, and you don't think so, fine. I'm still responding to outline where I'm coming from; what I believe is happening, and then I'm questioning why the left is so bad at reaching outside leftist circles when applying power to language, misappropriation or not.
I despise attempts at warping language. It's just underhanded manipulation and it's a textbook authoritarian cookbook. So here we are in agreement.
As for the right being able to direct the language, as above I'm not convinced and awaiting cases that aren't just restricted to the "woke" part of politics.

I don’t actually think the move typically is to „change“ the meaning of terminology, but rather to drain a term of meaning, leaving behind, an empty signifier, free for each individual subject to apply whatever meanings, significances, and cultural associations one chooses.
That part I completely agree. This is what I'm seeing happening in the language battlefield when it comes to politics.
The thing is though... I see it mostly precisely from the "woke" subset. All the overuse of the "*ist" and "*ism" words, that are so overused they lose all meaning and impact - I think it was even you who pointed at it ?
I also saw some regrets about this very behaviour during the recent French election, with people lamenting that there overused "fascists" so much, that basically it became neutered, and as such couldn't "scare" away people anymore when applied to Le Pen.
Sadly this epiphany doesn't seem to have started a real move of self-criticism beyond this very specific case, but it was rather relevant and revealing.
This is also why I think „woke,“ isn’t a useful or meaningful word now that it’s been effectively unmoored from its original context as a term within black communities to describe the process of coming to understand the totality and perniciousness of anti-blackness. It doesn’t have any positive meaning in public discourse anymore, and is instead an empty vessel to fill with whatever your personal cultural antagonisms might be, whether that’s radical direct action; impotent, cynical liberal grand gestures; the mere existence of openly queer people; pronouns in bio; or showing feathered dinosaurs in your nostalgia movie. When any individual person uses the word „woke,“ I have no idea what they actually mean, and so it ends up being a guessing game - more a reflection of the speaker‘s own prejudices than an objective term, dialectically understood between both parties.
As pointed before, you do use "right-wing" (and "left-wing") despite these terms being even more vague, and yet you see what they mean. "woke" cover a subset that is pretty understandable to nearly everyone, it's about a subset of the "left" that is focused on social justice and identity politics. It's actually much less nebulous than many other words you use without problems.

This attempt to claim the word is meaningless while everyone actually understand what it covers, really feels like a pretext just to reject it because it carries a pejorative undertone. To me the main problem, going hand in hand with the whole "the right somehow manages to direct language" despite the lack of concrete example, seems like an attempt to not look at why it's specifically (and only ?) the words coming from the "woke" side that always seems to become pejorative.

Tldw : 'progressives' might benefit from being more of a big tent party & less purity testy. Considering democracy is a popularity contest they might benfit from trying to be more popular.

Is that the flasher

@ Akka

Many words have very much changed their meaning in my life time.
Speaking from a UK English perspective.

Cash

This used to be paper notes or coins, but now many people regard
a prompt online bank transaction as cash, as opposed to credit

Cis

A word invented to be easily derogative, because certain people weren't happy with "normal".

Dead Cat

Used to be a dead feline, but now a red herring.

Democracy

That used to be about people voting for decisions, laws or representatives
or in juries; but in many places it is regarded as rule of law, charters of rights;
division of power, transparency, with the public voting bit almost forgotten.

Earnings

Income used to be divided into unearned income (rents and
dividends and capital gains) and earned income (wages);
but earnings is now used as a synonym for nearly all income.

Gay

Used to be being happy, jolly, lively.

Invest, investment.

It used to mean spend money or time e.g. in machinery or
land draining or etc. to obtain definitive productive benefits later,
but it has been co-opted by the capitalist right to include
property speculation and gambling with crypto-currency.

Nazism

Used to mean admirers and followers of Adolf Hitler, but it
is now used by many merely to emphatically refer to fascism.

Property

This used to be something one could pick up, walk over or be inside.
But lawyers invented intellectual property and financial instruments etc.

Pegging

Used to be with camping with tents, hanging laundry to dry or scoring.

Random

Used to be a number selected by chance, now often meaning a red herring.

Their

Used to imply plural or unknown ownership, but now used where gender/sex of owner is immaterial.

Wife

Always used to be female.

Woke

A state of being formerly created by amongst other things, alarm clocks.

Because I see many people making claims about it, but I still don't see such cases. Yeah, the right tried to make "liberal" an insult. It failed. It tried to make anyone left of Reagan a "commie". It also failed. Both are pretty ingrained in the right-wing lingo, but they didn't caught outside, and when someone call you a "liberal" or a "commie" as if they were insults, it tends to tell more about them than about you.

So I'm still asking for examples of this right-sponsored warping of the language that spilled over the general public.
The "right wing" is a large part of the general public, right? It's not some fringe element - this kind of language is used across the right-of-centre spectrum, and even happily by liberals that have an axe to grind with those left-of-centre. "woke" is used in tabloid papers that a bunch of regular folk read daily. "cancel culture" also. Jeremy Corbyn was portrayed as a Communist (however dramatically overstated the comparison might have been, the point is it was made) by our main state-funded broadcasting body (the BBC), some years back.

You can't ask for examples that have spilled over to the general public, and then discount them because they're primarily used by "the right".

A word invented to be easily derogative, because certain people weren't happy with "normal".
Actually, it's merely the Latin opposite to the "trans" prefix, which is in no way derogatory unless you assume "trans" to be. Certainly not "invented" in the slightest.

Unlike "normal", whose opposite state is "abnormal", which would be a rather derogatory label to apply to trans folk (if "cis" folk are "normal" as you're suggesting).

Last edited:
The "right wing" is a large part of the general public, right? It's not some fringe element - this kind of language is used across the right-of-centre spectrum, and even happily by liberals that have an axe to grind with those left-of-centre. "woke" is used in tabloid papers that a bunch of regular folk read daily. "cancel culture" also. Jeremy Corbyn was portrayed as a Communist (however dramatically overstated the comparison might have been, the point is it was made) by our main state-funded broadcasting body (the BBC), some years back.

You can't ask for examples that have spilled over to the general public, and then discount them because they're primarily used by "the right".
Wat ?
Sorry guys, but at this point this is just nonsensical, you're flip-flopping from "the right" as a manipulative force which manages to twist the general discourse, to "the right" as being the general discourse itself and as such any term used by "the right" being part of the main discourse, but "the left" on the other hand can't affect the general discourse, so it would mean "the left" is not part of the general discourse, despite this contradicting the very concept that made "the right" the general discourse itself to begin with. WTF.

Make up your mind, it feels that, in full reverse illustration of the thread, the words and concepts and themes are redefined on the fly from post to post just so the premise of "we're victim of the right manipulations on language" stays fulfilled.

Wat ?
Sorry guys, but at this point this is just nonsensical, you're flip-flopping from "the right" as a manipulative force which manages to twist the general discourse, to "the right" as being the general discourse itself and as such any term used by "the right" being part of the main discourse, but "the left" on the other hand can't affect the general discourse, so it would mean "the left" is not part of the general discourse, despite this contradicting the very concept that made "the right" the general discourse itself to begin with. WTF.

Make up your mind, it feels that, in full reverse illustration of the thread, the words and concepts and themes are redefined on the fly from post to post just so the premise of "we're victim of the right manipulations on language" stays fulfilled.
I didn't say anything about what "the left" does, or doesn't do. I said nothing about "the right" as a "manipulative force", either. You wanted examples of "the right" redefining phrases that then made their way to the general public. I gave explanations as to how this happened.

One thing Edward did get right is that language changes over time. Always has done, likely will always continue to. That doesn't mean that language can't be changed in a manipulative or coercive way. A different example of this can be seen in the US (and sometimes elsewhere), where the media really tries its best to avoid saying "a police officer shot someone", using torturous language like "police's firearm found itself discharging in public" or the like. That's an attempt to coerce language (to pre-emptively absolve blame / misrepresent what's happening). The media impacts how people perceive events (by definition), so I don't think I'm stretching here.

(edited for clarity, mainly the last paragraph)

Last edited:
The exonerative tense

Ah ha, as expected it is the usual culprits jumping on my reply to @ Akka

Actually, it's merely the Latin opposite to the "trans" prefix, which is in no way derogatory unless you assume "trans" to be.

English isn't Latin and referring to English people by Latin terminology is often derogatory.

I remember being told In one thread that cross dresser was alright but transvestite was not.

Unlike "normal", whose opposite state is "abnormal",

Not necessarily so.

I wouldn't refer to an Olympic runner as a normal runner, but I wouldn't refer to an Olympic
runner as an abnormal runner as both terms would be incorrect and IMHO rather rude.

I did not realise you are older than the Statute of Monopolies (1624), the Statute of Anne (1710) or the Amsterdam Stock Exchange (1602).

Looked at first URL only.

When I was young, most people referred to those things as Patents and as Copyrights.
I don't recollect the more general grouping term Intellectual Property being used then.
I dare say it may have been used by American lawyers, but not by ordinary English folk then.

Oh you're older than Chaucer hey

I dare say it is possible to argue with "their" that modern English has reverted to medieval English.
Certain English words e.g. skillet were retained in the USA after being largely abandoned in England,
but when I was young "his" and "hers" were used wherever possible rather than "their".

But I dunno what happened downunder.

What I have noticed in my general reading, see book thread, is that in many books "their" has often
replaced almost exclusively replaced "his" and "her" in reference to single people of known sex/gender.

Thing is languages change, and it is often for political reasons.

When I was young, most people referred to those things as Patents and as Copyrights.
I don't recollect the more general grouping term Intellectual Property being used then.
I dare say it may have been used by American lawyers, but not by ordinary English folk then.
I never realised the term came to be used so late, and more in the US than the UK, at least by percent of words written. Though we hardly write about copyrights?
Spoiler NGrams for IP in british and american english :

Last edited:
@ Samson

Thank you for the graphs.

I was replying from personal memory which apart from being different to others is of course fallible.

I have neuroatypicality, am I normal?

Who is really "normal"?

Looking 'normal' is how people get described after somebody finds kids in their freezer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom