World Cup & European Racism

Atropos said:
You could not have chosen a worse example. Racist slurs are extremely common in matches in Rome.
I know it - but even if the opponent is Italian they find a way to show their "love" (you know, it's always something about the opponent's mother). Not that it has anything to do with Italians specifically - the same things happen in my country in the games Olympiakos - Panathinaikos.

Atropos said:
1. Fascism is not necessarily the same thing as racism - there were prominent Italian fascist generals who were prominent in protecting Balkan Jews from the concentration camps.
2. The Lazio player, however, were almost certainly using the gesture (which was indeed adopted by the Fascists before the Nazis) with racist intent. Lazio and Roma, Rome's two teams, are the most racist in Europe and there have been inumerable incidents in that stadium.

My point wasn't that fascism and racism are directly related. I was surprised that he tried to excuse an ostensibly racist gesture by claiming that it was fascist instead. To American ears, that's akin to saying that you didn't mean to shoot a guy in the head, you just meant to shoot him in the shoulder and leave him to die. Fascism has a distinctly negative connotation here.

To the Europeans on this board: Is this racism always directed at "the enemy," or do racist fans occasionally taunt, beat up, etc. the minorities on their own favorite clubs?
shortguy said:
My point wasn't that fascism and racism are directly related. I was surprised that he tried to excuse an ostensibly racist gesture by claiming that it was fascist instead. To American ears, that's akin to saying that you didn't mean to shoot a guy in the head, you just meant to shoot him in the shoulder and leave him to die. Fascism has a distinctly negative connotation here.
And it's hard for my American mind to think it's any different in any other reasonably educated country... Surely the majority of Italians condemn even racist-free fascism?

It was my impression that europeans have a disdain for everyone... lolololol

/I jest :)

WillJ said:
To the Europeans on this board: Is this racism always directed at "the enemy," or do racist fans occasionally taunt, beat up, etc. the minorities on their own favorite clubs?
very good question. In my experience violent fans only target the "enemy" fans. they don't care about colour/race or anything, they're just primitive thugs who want to beat up someone (anyone, really). most of them don't even care for the sport, they're just there for the violence.

for example. I was at a game of the HC Lugano (swiss hockey team) this winter. there were guys there (from italy, I think). that had now idea at all about hockey. they just came, shouted some stupid chants, and tried to stir up trouble everywhere :rolleyes.

ok, kept quiet here for a while...

It is true that the Germans are pretty xenophobic. Of course, if confronted with this, they would always claim how open they are. Southern and eastern Germans fare far worse than northern Germans.
My partner being from Singapore faced a lot of this. Generally the man in the street is pretty obnoxious. It's those stares, second looks. Worse of course, the open racism, and soccer fans aren't really the best people here. I have been to games a lot and know that there are enough dumb people.
What really freaked me out was that black people of the opposite team were humilated, the black guys of the own team heroes at times.

Watching EPL, I can say that they somehow tackled the issue and it's far better than the rest of Europe.

KaeptnOvi said:
very good question. In my experience violent fans only target the "enemy" fans. they don't care about colour/race or anything, they're just primitive thugs who want to beat up someone (anyone, really). most of them don't even care for the sport, they're just there for the violence.

for example. I was at a game of the HC Lugano (swiss hockey team) this winter. there were guys there (from italy, I think). that had now idea at all about hockey. they just came, shouted some stupid chants, and tried to stir up trouble everywhere :rolleyes.

I've seen the "fans" of one Czech club shouting "go back to the jungle" and throwing bananas on "their" own player, of course with dark skin.

But as you said, they are simply aggressive idiots who need to blame someone. If all people on this planet were white, blond and with blue eyes, they would beat those wearing glasses.

Well, if all goes as it probably will they will all lose to Brazil anyway. They can make their chants reverberate inside their half empty cups of beer while watching their team lose to a "mongrel" nation. The best punishment for racism is failure.

The PC punishments dont have the same sting.

Drewcifer said:
Well, if all goes as it probably will they will all lose to Brazil anyway. They can make their chants reverberate inside their half empty cups of beer while watching their team lose to a "mongrel" nation. The best punishment for racism is failure.

The PC punishments dont have the same sting.

What if they win?

As in Italy 90' ;)

However the only world cup i had watched (at least some of the games) with interest, was Usa 1994, where i was following the progress of the Romanian team. Sadly it lost to Sweden in the penalties. Had it been able to go through it might have won, if one recals some of Hagi's goals from the middle of the field :)

Though there is definitly problems in parts of Europe, the article is BS. It exaggerates and it's subjective like hell. Why not mention that in many European countries, racism is far less common that in USA, which the article for some reason adores... strange btw, since if you really wanna find accepted racism you could go to the southern US and it would be plenty full.

Hitro said:
Must be an eastern thing... ;)
No, it's a Western thing as well. I spend most of my time in the West.

storealex said:
Though there is definitly problems in parts of Europe, the article is BS. It exaggerates and it's subjective like hell. Why not mention that in many European countries, racism is far less common that in USA, which the article for some reason adores... strange btw, since if you really wanna find accepted racism you could go to the southern US and it would be plenty full.

i completely agree with you. it seems that some americans have superiority complexes, still living in the world where america is new, and europe is old and backward.

and also, its not just the germans, czechs, english, italians and spanish. what about turks?

chrisrossi said:
i completely agree with you. it seems that some americans have superiority complexes, still living in the world where america is new, and europe is old and backward.

and also, its not just the germans, czechs, english, italians and spanish. what about turks?

That's really ironic since alot of things in america strike me as backward, not that I have some complex of superiority but going by the comments in this forum alone I'd say America hasn't got any reason to be superior about anything, well to be honest no one has. I know that some Americans particulalrly older ones think the English have a superiority complex or that Europeans do, I haven't seen much evidence of that myself, I think that died when we lost the empire speaking from a purely English POV.

Sidhe said:
That's really ironic since alot of things in america strike me as backward, not that I have some complex of superiority but going by the comments in this forum alone I'd say America hasn't got any reason to be superior about anything, well to be honest no one has. I know that some Americans particulalrly older ones think the English have a superiority complex or that Europeans do, I haven't seen much evidence of that myself, I think that died when we lost the empire speaking from a purely English POV.

you and i seem to agree on a lot of things.

storealex said:

Yours is the sort of opinion that the article is trying to counter. It's true that the US has a long and sordid history of racial problems. It's also true that racism is still alive in the country (though it probably isn't as "accepted" as you claim). The perception that the article is trying to fight, and you seem to agree with it, is that racism is a peculiarly American problem. Yes, the US has had worse domestic race problems that European countries, but that's because the US has been racially mixed for so long. Now that immigration is making Europe more diverse than ever, it's plain that Europeans aren't as racially "enlightened" as they fancy. We've been trying with our race problems for a long time; don't pile on us, work on your own.

ChrisRossi said:

I couldn't agree less. From this side of the pond, it seems more like many Europeans have a superiority complex, seeing themselves as cosmopolitan and enlightened and Americans as poor, benighted yokels.

Sidhe said:

Every country, including America, has a standard-issue supply of idiots. :(

Football matches just seems to gather a lot of them up in the same place at the same time.

Top Bottom