• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Worst Famous Painting Ever

no way, it's all flimsy 'n crap. Besides, at the millions of dollars it's worth I could just get some antique ceremonial weaponry.

Au contraire, I think the satisfaction of seeing the criminal writhing in pain from the torturous sight he had just beheld would validate the cost entirely.

You don't have any talent to draw those, though!
Actually they're paintings, and so they do take some talent to create. But the big talent is the idea to make them in the first place.

$100 please.

If something is made without any talent or motivation, then I wouldn't consider it as an item of art. Modern arts like paintings, experimential music, sculptures or ludicrous postmodern poems lack beauty and any real basic idea, just a hypocrite would seriously consider them as beautiful.

Then your entire line of reasoning is wrong. Something doesn't have to be beautiful to be art. It can be the most raucous, violent, painful thing to look at or hear ever and still be art. Listen to Penderecki's Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima for an example.

Oh yeah, and talent and art are similarly completely different.

Then your entire line of reasoning is wrong. Something doesn't have to be beautiful to be art. It can be the most raucous, violent, painful thing to look at or hear ever and still be art. Listen to Penderecki's Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima for an example.

Oh yeah, and talent and art are similarly completely different.

That's your opinion and I'm with it. But I won't give in to it, because you gotta be serious, determined and skillful when performing or creating art. BTW, your given example is genuine art in my book, because it posesses all my enlisted requirements.

Au contraire, I think the satisfaction of seeing the criminal writhing in pain from the torturous sight he had just beheld would validate the cost entirely.
Maybe if I had it like up in the ceiling, and it popped down when like someone hit a pressure switch or something in the floor. But really, though I might like accidentally hit when going to get some midnight cookies or somethin'.

If something is made without any talent or motivation, then I wouldn't consider it as an item of art. Modern arts like paintings, experimential music, sculptures or ludicrous postmodern poems lack beauty and any real basic idea, just a hypocrite would seriously consider them as beautiful.
You're mixing two things, technical skills with beauty. I don't see why those two must always be related!

And Modern arts in general aren't abstract. I think your issue is with abstract art, which is difficult for some peeps to understand which is better because it relies on more subtle aesthetic taste then object recognition.

With such flimsy explainations? Never! :D
It's not flimsy, it's just that you have no taste and therefore can't understand. I still want my $100.

That's your opinion and I'm with it. But I won't give in to it, because you gotta be serious, determined and skillful when performing or creating art. BTW, your given example is genuine art in my book, because it posesses all my enlisted requirements.

Skillful? Define skillful. Your perception of "skill" is entirely subjective and is a ludicrous standard to judge by.

Skillful? Define skillful. Your perception of "skill" is entirely subjective and is a ludicrous standard to judge by.

Let me explain it to you this way: When even a child would be able to reproduce certain paintings of Modern Arts, then I could say for sure that the making of the original piece involved much talent and hard-earned skills. Just because some people are saying that something is art, I don't have to follow the flock.

Let me explain it to you this way: When even a child would be able to reproduce certain paintings of Modern Arts, then I could say for sure that the making of the original piece involved much talent and hard-earned skills. Just because some people are saying that something is art, I don't have to follow the flock.

Educate yourself with some awesome art.

@Sir Bagel
Advice: just let it go.

@Sir Tycoon
Who the hell cares what "art" is? A toddler could do that. By accident. Not impressed.

@Sir Bagel
Man it's really hard to let it go.

why arent we allowed to pick the mona lisa ? that was the first thing that i thought of when i saw this thread. i honestly just dont see what so special about it.

That's your opinion and I'm with it. But I won't give in to it, because you gotta be serious,
Why Serious, can't art be at times convivial and fun?

determined and skillful when performing or creating art.
Sometimes the skill is in the insight to make something that is otherwise easy to reproduce! It's the mental talent that also matters!

BTW, your given example is genuine art in my book, because it posesses all my enlisted requirements.
Benefits Supervisor Sleeping might well be art, I still hate it.

What do you consider the worst painting ever that has achieved genuine and wide-spread praise as being a piece of high art.

Don't nitpick on what "high art" means. If you don't understand what I mean by "high art" don't post here.

Also, you aren't allowed to choose The Mona Lisa, or the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

My entry:

I get physically infuriated when I think of someone thinking this painting is deep or noteworthy or anything other than stupid and lame.

"The famous pipe. How people reproached me for it! And yet, could you stuff my pipe? No, it’s just a representation, is it not? So if I had written on my picture ‘This is a pipe,’ I’d have been lying!"

Also, I thought the thread title was "Worst Famous Painting Ever", not "Worst Painting Ever" or something similar.

There are very few celebrated paintings by modern artists that could be easily reproduced by a child. Mondrian included.

Sometimes the skill is in the insight to make something that is otherwise easy to reproduce! It's the mental talent that also matters!
You think so? Why should I admire crappy and ugly stuff then, if I could watch instead some classy art like they used to make, back in the old days. Hell, even "Seinfeld" is more fun than colorful cubicles!
BTW, I'm going to sleep now, so I won't reply to anything further.

Yeah, whatever message Magritte wanted to convey in that painting didn't really justify a painting of its own; wasted effort.

Instead, Magritte should have gone for something of The Menaced Assassin (awesome) variety:

You think so?
Yep

Why should I admire crappy and ugly stuff then,
I disagree that Mondrian is classy and ugly. Seriously, what's so ugly about Mondrian?

if I could watch instead some classy art like they used to make, back in the old days. Hell, even "Seinfeld" is more fun than colorful cubicles!
Well, I'm not saying Mondrian is particularly fun, only that seriousness is a weird discriminant.

BTW, I'm going to sleep now, so I won't reply to anything further.
You don't check for replies after you wake up? That's a good way to score additional posts without spamming!

Top Bottom