• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Worst Famous Painting Ever

Yeah, whatever message Magritte wanted to convey in that painting didn't really justify a painting of its own; wasted effort.

JEEZE LUISE IT'S JUST A JOKEY PLAY ON OUR PERCEPTIONS, OKAY?

:mad:

I sort of like Mondrian's art. It's not something that I'd fork out tons of money for, but I think it'd look nice in my dream home in strategic locations.

LESS ARGUING MORE PICS OF CRAPPY PAINTINGS THAT ARE FAMOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! [pissed]

LESS ARGUING MORE PICS OF CRAPPY PAINTINGS THAT ARE FAMOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! [pissed]
BUT WE CAN ONLY PICK ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :suicide:

BUT WE CAN ONLY PICK ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :suicide:

POSTING POOR YET NOT PERFECTLY POOR PAINTINGS IS PREFERABLE TO POSTING PETTY PAINTINGLESS POSTS PERMEATED WITH PROSAIC POINTS AND PARTIALLY PONDERED PLATITUDINOUS PROPOSITIONS YOU PUERILE PUKE!!!!!!!!!!! [pissed]

If something is made without any talent or motivation, then I wouldn't consider it as an item of art. Modern arts like paintings, experimential music, sculptures or ludicrous postmodern poems lack beauty and any real basic idea, just a hypocrite would seriously consider them as beautiful.

You neither have to have beauty nor a single unified idea to have art. And on the talent angle, I doubt you could paint a Mondrian. Every schmuck likes to look at something and say "I can do that!".

To keep it legal:

ive never understood why this is considered one of the greatest paintings ever

i mean its just a bunch of people looking at a river

You'd better be joking...

Yes, and Fifty apparently did not find it funny.

Fifty I'm only trying to please you. :(

It's because of the creepy girl in the middle of the painting who will end up killing everyone else there.

My submission:

Anything by Warhol also qualifies, but for different reasons than Pollock.

POSTING POOR YET NOT PERFECTLY POOR PAINTINGS IS PREFERABLE TO POSTING PETTY PAINTINGLESS POSTS PERMEATED WITH PROSAIC POINTS AND PARTIALLY PONDERED PLATITUDINOUS PROPOSITIONS YOU PUERILE PUKE!!!!!!!!!!! [pissed]

NOT PERFECTLY POOR, BUT JUST FEELS RIGHT TO POST IT HERE.

(Thomas Kinkade, NASCAR thunder)

Also, you aren't allowed to choose The Mona Lisa, or the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.
Why can't we choose the Mona Lisa or the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel? As Romana pointed out in the Doctor Who episode "City of Death," the Mona Lisa doesn't have any eyebrows. And I find it highly hypocritical that the Sistine Chapel (indeed, lots of paintings of that general time) are full of naked people -- in other words, they're smut.

If anyone could elaborate to me, why exactly those "paintings" of that kind are so special, I'd give this person 100 bucks. Seriously, every mediocre-talented 10-year-old is capable of imitating such worthlessness!
They're considered "so special" because whoever is pocketing the obscene amounts of money for them is an expert at marketing and art-world technobabble.

$100, please. :goodjob:

My nomination: Voice of Fire

Would you believe the National Gallery paid $1.8 million for this piece of crap? According to Wiki:
The purchase of Voice of Fire by the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa for its permanent collection in 1989 at a cost of $1.8 million caused a storm of controversy, as the painting consists only of a red stripe on a blue background.
Source.

Anyways, since my previous post is not technically a painting, I'm going to have to go with Benefits Supervisor Sleeping by Lucian Freud.

(I refuse to post it here)

I'd second that one.

I also applaud your decision to not post it.

i just find art like voice of fire hilarious. i love how people pay millions for it. making something that is extremely simple but yet sells that much is an art in and of itself.

Impressionism is all about how the paintings were painted and not the subject. It was a radical change for the day even though we see it as common place now. Cubism made a similar statement.

Music is often seen the same way. What started out as something radical and strange, we take for granted and say "So what?", while at the time it was revolutionary.

Beethoven
Stravinsky
Elvis
Beates

Top Bottom