WTF? Why was dominate nerfed?

PPQ_Purple

Purple Cube
I recall that in FF.50 Dominate could capture world units like Archeron.
Since when can't it do that any more? And how do I reverse it?

I built my whole game around rushing to Mind 3 and charging at him. :mad::mad::mad:

Are you sure?
I clearly remember that in .50 I could capture archeron.

Also sorry for the tone but... just... you know.
Its 1AM and I just found out that my whole game plan is bust.

Is there a way to delete this thread?
Also, will changing the XML to make him not imune break a save game?

I'm not sure, honestly, I'd just assume that Magic Immune includes being immune to magical domination. :p

I wasn't worried about your tone, just pointing out it's stronger given it's interaction with the commander system. ;)

Changing the xml should work, don't believe it will break saves. Easier would be to use worldbuilder and remove the promotion from him though, as you'd have to use WB to replace him anyway after you change the xml.

Another thing I find strange is that now you have a limit of what 2 or 3 units to dominate.
That really stresses out my strategy. But thems the brakes.

Will just have to come up with a plan B for the game.
Step 1. Adopt Ashen Veil

You can use Subdue Beasts (whatever it is called, skill Beastmasters can get) to capture Acheron. Only way you ever could catch him, but very reliable since a Beastmaster is quite likely to beat him in combat without much fuss, so bring along 4 of them with Courage, and you get a dragon.

The "nerf" we gave Dominate was the limit to how many units a single Archmage can dominate, but along with that we removed the chance to lose the skill. Also, units you dominate will return to their original owner when you lose the domination (let them go willingly to catch a better prize, or Archmage dies). For some people who liked to play the odds (which honestly were in your favor pretty heavily) this makes it weaker, as you cannot steal entire stacks of units. But for most people who HATE to play the odds, it makes the spell into something they are willing to actually use now. AND of course it makes it impossible to wage an entire war with a single Archmage :)

Sadly... I honestly loved the idea of having Hanah + Twincast + Vamp Lords take down entire armies via dominate one half and let them kill the other. Now... dominate is just not fun any more.
*sigh*

I honestly think dominate is better now. It has to have a limit; The old limit was causing a misfire to remove the promotion, the new limit is the number of units able to dominated by one unit.

One good thing: Domination adds them as minions. Which grant xp to their master. So Dominate helps your archmages become monsters. ;)

I think we have here a case of: "You can newer please everyone."
It definitively radically changes strategies with archmages.

Well, anyway just please don't hurt Death 3...

I probably would have been fine with Dominate as it was if there weren't so many ways to abuse it (primarily the use of puppets to dominate so that if you lose the promotion you just summon a new puppet, keeping all the units you dominated without any issues)

You say exploit, I say strategy. But we are both talking about the same.

Top Bottom