1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTP] Quick questions

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by Nightinggale, Feb 7, 2020.

1. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder

It is not described ingame (or in Pedia) anywhere. :c5unhappy:
    (It is not the only small feature that is not described in Pedia. Most of the small ones are not.)

I am not even sure that small features like that really need a description other than Release Notes or forum posts. :dunno:
    Because it is not really a big "game concept / game mechanic".

2. raystuttgart

It is not possible to change any "Game Option" that you set at Game Start ingame again.
    (One it is set, you can only change it by starting a new game or by complicated manipulation of a save game which can break it though.)

I also know that these Game Options are saved into maps. (Just like "Game Speed".)
    (Basically it is the choice of the map / scenario maker what he configures when he starts creating it.)

But if you start a new "Custom Scenario", you can overwrite / change Game Options and Game Speed.
    Otherwise, when you simply use "Scenario" it will simply use the settings saved into the map.

"Play Now" will simply use the default settings for the Game Options. (Configured in XML.)
    In "Custom Game" you can set them manually again.

So it really matters how you start a game. :thumbsup:

If you want to set and control all "Game Options" and "Game Speed" manually, simply always choose the "Custom" start variant. - I personally never do it differently.
    (That is in fact the reason why it exists.)

Summary:

Instead of "Scenario" you could simply have used "Custom Scenario".
    Then you could have chosen all the Game Options and Game Speed. (The rest will stay the same.)

Once you started the game it is too late to reconsider.
    (It has never been different in Civ4 BTS or Civ4Col though.)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    ConjurerDragon likes this.
  3. Hibernian

Hibernian Chieftain

That is really cool, I did not know that. Thanks a lot.

Thanks also for pointing out how I get the 5x5 cities again. I had searched the forum for "5x5" but could not find it, apologies for not reading the installation guide. I thought that would have been a setting in the options rather than a .dll file. But abyway, works great now :)

4. Hibernian

Hibernian Chieftain

Was this text bug related to the same bug, i.e. also fixed internally already ?

Attached Files:

5. Hibernian

Hibernian Chieftain

Does that also work for the fort or large fort I can build outside the city ? It's a lot of work for the pioneers but if that work I might build a fort at my coast.

6. raystuttgart

Yes, it was. :)
    We thoroughly checked everything in the mod the last month and fixed everything we found / could fix.

7. raystuttgart

Yes. But in Forts also your "Gun Powder Units" will attack enemies that want to walk by.
    Forts also have other small features (like creating Culture around them) and events.

8. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Chieftain

By the way, does the fort prevent the founding of a colony nearby (across one field), just like a regular colony or not?

9. raystuttgart

I do not think so, but the original code has changed a lot after I had retired a few years ago.
    (It was merged with a Civ4 BTS Mod Component "Super Forts".)

So I am not 100% sure. :dunno:
    You could simply try though by using World Builder to place a Fort and a Settler (to found a City).

By the way:
    Forts do need a "Gun Powder"-Unit (Infantery types with Muskets) or "Cannon"-Unit to become activated and use their features.
    (It should be explained in Colopedia.)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  10. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Chieftain

yes, and then, when passing by a fort of enemy units, a wonderful inscription appears: your troops opened fire on the natives and hit them:) or didn’t hit:lol:

11. devolution

devolution Prince

I think we need to improve the gametext a bit. It's reasonable that the GUI should be able to provide a short description of "hidden features" like fort mechanics, bombardment\attack, monastery, choosing city plot yield etc.

A slight issue with the fort attack is that we don't have a tag for it so we'd have to special case the improvement, which is undesirable.

12. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Chieftain

So after all, when you hover over the button, for example, "build a fort," a small table appears with a description. why not add to it something like this: "when inside a military unit, it can fire at enemies passing by."

13. devolution

devolution Prince

That's basically what I'm proposing, yes

14. raystuttgart

By the way guys:
    Monasteries and Forts are (or at least were) pretty well described in Colopedia "Game Concepts". ;)
    (But we might also improve their ingame texts for e.g. Mouse Over if somebody finds the time.)

But other small featues are definitely not described at all yet ...

15. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Chieftain

in RaR, I did not have enough time to translate Kolopedia. in WtP I will fix it)

16. Hibernian

Hibernian Chieftain

The Colopedia was actually where I looked first. Under Games Concepts > Forts it says "Forts cannot fire on Ships though, only on land units"

Attached Files:

17. raystuttgart

That is true, because they do not have "Citadels" / "Bastions" (like Cities can have). :thumbsup: --> See Colopedia for "Citadels" or "Bastions".
    (Cities with "Citadels" / "Bastions" can also fire on ships if you have "Artillery"-Units stationed. Lower Levels of defensive structures like "Stockades" will only allow to fire on land Units if you have "Gun-Powder"-Units or "Artillery"-Units stationed.)

"Forts" indeed only fire on land Units trying to pass by.
    (That is indeed the way I originally designed it and looking at the code it was not changed.)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  18. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Chieftain

hi team)

I didn’t know where to write and decided to do it here .. I have a question about a little improvement in the game: can you make that when you press the enter key, confirmation will pass (ok)?
    and the second question: is it possible to start the game with a button? the download is very fast and almost never succeeds in reading what is written, which is very unfortunate.

Attached Files:

19. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Warlord Supporter

In the Colopedia there are two entries about Terrain features and Base Terrain that neatly described the yields to expect from all kinds of squares. However there is no description of Hills and Mountains. Are they hidden in some other subcategorie and I have simply not yet found them or does the Colopedia lack the description of those two terrains?

20. raystuttgart

The point is simply that "Hills" and "Mountains" are technically not "TerrainTypes".
    (Although they are displayed inside of CIV4TerrainInfos.xml. But their entries there basically only serve as a dummy function to allow to e.g. assigne and change graphics.)

They are "PlotTypes".

So basically every plot you see on the Map is always a combination of "TerrainType" + "PlotType".

Thus you can have combinations like:
    • "Savannah + Hills" / "Savannah + Flatland" / "Savannah + Mountains"
    • "Grasland + Hills" / "Grasland + Flatland" / "Grasland + Mountains"
    • "Plains + Hills" / "Plains + Flatland" / "Plains + Mountains"
    On top of that you can then also have "RoadTypes", "FeatureTypes", "ImprovementTypes", "UnitTypes", ...

Things like that are really difficult to explain if you are not a modder that understands the technical details. :c5unhappy:
    (By the way: It is also not possible to add a new TerrainType or PlotType if you are not a programmer.)

Edit:
    Maybe this explains at least a little bit why in "Large Rivers" I am also talking about "TerrainTypes" and "PlotTypes" all the time.
    (It is necessary so other programmers understand what I do / plan to do.)

-----

Sorry, but that is the shortest and most logically answer I can give without explaining in a long thread about technical details of Civ4Col modding ... :dunno:
    (To most people this would most likely be really boring though.)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    devolution likes this.