1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTP] Quick questions

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by Nightinggale, Feb 7, 2020.

1. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Warlord Supporter

Well, then @Nightinggale - will we see a release 2.7.3 this weekend? Or if that error you encountered but Ray not should be tested more - perhaps an improved beta from the current 2.7.2 beta 1 to beta 2 so that more people could look if that error happens for them too?

2. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder

I understand that you are all eagerly waiting for the Release 2.7.3. :)
    (I am too by the way, because I want to start implementing some features again.)

And we are really deeply sorry that we (or better I) kept announcing it several times. :blush:
    But every time we thought we had discovered and fixed all issues with the current Text and Translation System, we found a new issue when properly testing again ... :wallbash:

Pushing out the release even though we know it has this bug will only lead to dissatisfaction, complaints and bug reports. :gripe:
    Yes, chances are 50:50 that the bug will occur for a player. (Depending if a player would install the mod like I do or as Nightinggale does.)

It is reproducable on Nightinggale's installation. I have no reason to doubt that.
    Before the current version there was another bug that only occured on my installation. :crazyeye:

Once both of us positively check that the issue does not occur anymore and there are also no other issues considering the system, we will release. :thumbsup:
    (Then we should be pretty save, that we fixed all major issues with it.)

Building up pressure will not solve the issue or speed up its resolution. :dunno:

**** happens, but we promise that we will learn our lesson from it. :thumbsup:

A) We will most likely be more careful with changing deep core systems in general.
    B) We will most likely be more careful merging such changes with the "current release" branch, before we did better internal testing.
    C) We (especially myself) will stop announcing public releases hastily before we are really confident that there are no more major hidden issues.

Summary:
    We have a bug and we can reproduce it. Thus it should be possible to fix. :)
    We will simply try to do our best. But please understand that building up pressure does not help. :thumbsup:
    We are sorry that our release got delayed so long. And trust me, it is frustrating for us as well. :sad:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  3. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

I know precisely how to fix this and according to the plan it should be have been fixed by now. However me catching the corona virus wasn't part of the plan. I'm doing fine, relatively speaking, but it has resulted in me being tired and not as focused as I would like. I am however aiming at a weekend release, but time will tell if I manage to follow the plan this time.

f1rpo and devolution like this.
  4. raystuttgart

If you are still sick, then relax. :thumbsup:
    Do not worry about the release.

**** happens. :)

to community:
    Sorry again for announcing the release hastily. :blush:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  5. devolution

devolution Prince

@Nightinggale Hang in there buddy, both our nations are going through difficult times!. I'll be working from home the next couple of weeks and will avoid any contact with fellow (physical :p) humans. Hopefully we can all contribute to halting the spread of this terrror by acting decisively.

6. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Warlord Supporter

A question about leader traits,
    e.g. Johan Risingh has industrious and pioneer that both give a 10% chance to learn by hard work or Mem de Sa who has two bonuses (-50 and -10) to buy land cheaper from natives

Do those numbers add up, so that Risingh gives a +20% chance to learn by hard work or
    add up in 10% + 10% = 11%?

Or are the lower percentage advantages lost ingame, as it sounded when someone wrote about numbers being cut off a while ago and the advantage being lost if its not at least 1,0?

7. raystuttgart

Yes, all these percentages add up.
    And no, they are not lost - unless there is a bug in coding.

8. raystuttgart

The next version we will release will not be a Beta Release.
    It will be an Official Release.

Actually I am currently not even sure anymore if we will publish only an Improvement Release. (Improvements and Bugfixes, no new Features)
    Looking at the current state and speed of development we might also directly publish a Full Release. (Including all we did.)

But of course - whichever variant we might release - we should first fix the bug in the new Text and Translation System.
    (This might take a while though because of team members currently being sick.)

@team:
    Let us please clarify this again. There has simply happened so much considering implemenation. :think:
    It will probably make little sense anymore to publish an "Improvement Release" and then 2 weeks later publish a "Full Release".
    I am completely aware that the "Full Release" will not be Savegame compatible, but we cannot change that anyways ...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Renera likes this.
  9. raystuttgart

Hi guys,

first of all, it is great to see that we have gotten much more attention from community again. :)
    Discussions and brainstorming with community were a lot of fun.

It is also great, that some old guys like e.g. Schmiddie have returned as well and help us. :thumbsup:
    Without his graphics, we could not realize the features in the same quality.

One or two supporters have also shown up and started helping from time to time. :thumbsup:
    e.g. Raubwuerger created the base feature / functionality for "Merge Treasures" which helped to create the feature a lot faster.

It is also really cool that other old modders are also even thinking about modding on their own project again. :crazyeye:
    So maybe we can get the modding community going a bit again - even if it is not as big as it used to be a few years ago.

What is not so great though:
    • The core team is still really small and WTP is incredibly big.
    • Until now we failed to convince further new modders to join us and start modding on WTP.
    • The current situation with Covid 19 makes modding even more difficult. Some team members are sick themselves.
    • I expected that more modders would like to implement new features - until now I am still the only one.
    • Nobody in the team (including myself) is really motivated to improve texts or translations or do regular quality control.
    • Lost of great half implemented improvements are lying around but were not yet integrated and finished.
    • Community expectations seem to have reached somewhat unrealistic levels again.
    We are at the moment in a "crisis mode" as well. We currently lack ressources, skills and sometimes also motivation.
    Thus nobody can currently predict or promise how long we would be able and motivated to continue like this.

The last months - especially the last weeks - have been quite exhausting and sometimes a bit frustrating (mostly in real life).
    I believe that the complete team needs or wants to slow down, recover a bit and focus more on real life.

Consequences:
    • Some of the accepted and promissed features will still be finished the next weeks.
    • Once we have fixed the annoying bug in Text / Translation System, we will publish the promissed Improvement Release.
    • After that we will also soon publish a Full Feature Release (which contains everything already finished but is not savegame compatible).
    • Once we published, I will go into a "relaxed mode" again - I will still stay a team member but my own modding activity will be heavily reduced.
    • The project WTP will definitely continue though. I have no doubt about that. We will simply slow down considering features again.
    Summary:

WTP will continue. So do not worry about that. :)
    We still have a lot of great ideas, improvements and concepts lying around, but it will all take its time ...

Feature Development will simply progress a bit slower and more relaxed.
    (Bugfixes and other small improvements should continue as usual though.)

Thanks a lot for your patience and understanding. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  10. MeagPig44

MeagPig44 Chieftain

I don't know if this is a bug or if this is happening because I've never worked with a mod before/am new to RAR. I cannot move any of my units within my settlements (meaning I can't change their professions). Whereas I'm used to clicking and dragging, let's say, a colonist from some woods to some fish (changing his profession from a lumberjack to a fisherman), the units are completely invisible. Am I missing something? upload_2020-4-7_14-22-36.png

11. raystuttgart

It is definitely not a general bug.
    This would have been reported way more often - and months ago already - otherwise.

Does this always happen? :confused:
    Or does it only happen if you do something specifically?

I currently suspect that it is an installation issue somehow though.
    (But I currently can not explain it.)

Since it also says that Population is "1" it can not be the "abandon colony feature" either. :think:
    (You would also have gotten a pop-up and the Unit would be visible on the map Screen - with pressing "B"-button you could have the Unit rejoin the City and it would not get abandoned.)

Also - and this is important to analyze and understand - do you play RaR or WTP?
    (This is WTP forum, which is the successor of RaR - and yes, most of us were team members of RaR as well.)

To analyze:
    Please post the complete installation path of the mod-folder (including its "Assets"-folder).
    That way we can at least be sure that you put the mod into the correct directory and that there are no Non-ASCI-characters in the installation path.

@team:
    Does anybody of you have an explation for this?

12. MeagPig44

MeagPig44 Chieftain

I think this in an issue on my end- I've never installed anything like this before. I believe that this is We the People- I found it on a steam comment under a Civ IV Colonization screen shot. It linked to a github site. Here's a screenshot of where I put the mod (title "We the People" - it was originally named "v2.7.1-beta5").
    wtp capture.PNG

EDIT: tag @raystuttgart

Attached Files:

13. raystuttgart

The installation path looks correct. :thumbsup:
    (That should not be the issue then - it does not contain special characters.)

And yes, you have WTP installed. :thumbsup:
    (I just asked, because you said "RaR".)

I currently do not know though what could cause the issue. :dunno:
    Maybe somebody else from the team has an idea though.

14. raystuttgart

@MeagPig44

Does this happen all the time though?
    Or did it just happen once?

15. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

Open the file Documents\My Games\Civ4Colonization\CivilizationIV.ini
    Civ4Colonization might differ depending on if you have steam/gog/disc version installed.

Code:
    ; Set to 1 for no python exception popups
    HidePythonExceptions = 1
    Set this to 0. It will likely allow python to tell where in the code something went wrong. Hopefully it will say something we can use to track down whatever is causing your issue.

Documents\My Games\Civ4Colonization\Logs\PythonErr.log could also be useful.
    Code:
    ; Enable the logging system
    LoggingEnabled = 1
    Set this to 1 in CivilizationIV.ini or the log wouldn't be interesting.

16. MeagPig44

MeagPig44 Chieftain

@raystuttgart

I have started a couple games through "Play Now", and both times this occurred. I'll create a custom game this time and see what happens.

Thanks for confirming my installation path was correct. I'll keep you updated, and I'll check back to see if anyone posts anything new!

17. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Chieftain

perhaps this does not affect, but it’s more correct, I think, to install the mod in the folder with the game, and not with the game’s cache.

18. MeagPig44

MeagPig44 Chieftain

Where should I put the mod? I have tried making a mod folder- it never showed up. Can you specify where I should put it?

19. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Chieftain

if you have a Steam version of the game, then all games are installed in this folder by default: X \ SteamLibrary \ steamapps \ common
    X is the letter HDD.

this is how it looks on my computer:
    D: \ SteamLibrary \ steamapps \ common \ Civilization IV Colonization \ Mods \ Mod-small-features

Mod-small-features can be changed to the name of the folder that you prefer)

edit: and yet, can you post a link to the github here, where did you download the game version from? because I don’t see beta 5 in the tree...

edit2: the link is not needed - I figured it out myself)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  20. Drum Red

Drum Red Chieftain

Hi MeagPig44,

maybe it's a problem with the version you have "v2.7.1-beta5".
    I use the last beta version (2.7.2-beta-1) after the Github Release Page Link from the thread "[We the People] Mod overview". So far it has been going well.

@Mr.ZorG:
    It has no effect if the mods are stored in the game’s cache. Old games in particular create folders directly for this. Civ is a good example of that.
    Maybe the graphic error really comes from the version used.