WW II December 1941

Ah ok.

Can you show me the direction to learn/do this ?
You said you just did xml changes, or ?

XML is possible for me to learn :)

I've been updating the leader pics for the 1914 scenario. I haven't quite finished them, but would you like me to send you those? I've just been snagging pics off the internet and converting them to .dds format (a 512x512 for the lh.dds and a 64x64 for the but.dds). They seem to load ok, but I'm thinking that, even when the pics are squares, the leaders look slightly thin.

I'm pretty lousy at modding, so I've just been replacing the artwork, backing up the original pics. I don't know how to make the different scenarios point to different leader pics. Also, I'd love to replace the animated FDR leader head with a pic of Woodrow Wilson, but I don't know how to do that.

Also, I'd like to add religion (though the Religion as ideology also seems like a good idea). I'm a little confused at "Restorationism", which sounds to me like the Cambellite movement from the 19th century (known today as the Churches of Christ/Disciples of Christ/Independent Christian Churches). That seemed an odd choice for its own religion (since the movement isn't particularly big), so I was thinking that either Pentacostalism or Mormonism or even Anglicanism might be more appropriate. For a complete Noob (well, I'm not a Noob when it comes to Civ, I've been playing since Civ I for DOS) when it comes to modding Civ IV, how do you merely change the name of a religion? And the icons for it?

But even if I go through the trouble of editing all the cities to have an appropriate religious mix, I don't know how to add back the religious buildings and units. Any thoughts on that one?

I don't know how to make the different scenarios point to different leader pics
In the 1914 map ( open with notepad) you can find for example: LeaderType=LEADER_STALIN. This refers to a file called CIV4LeaderHeadInfos. You need to copy evereything between Leaderheadinfo and leaderheadinfo of 1 leader , paste it and give it the required new name.
Now inthere is also an Artfile ART_DEF_LEADER_??? wich refers to CIV4ArtDefines_Leaderhead. Do the same there and make sure the paths and name are correct. It wil be trial and error but efentually fun to do.

Thanks for your help, skyfire!

It looks like, in addition to these files, I need to update MA_Leaderheads_Peida_Text.xml, adding an entry for these leaders.

A bit more involved that I hoped, but I'll work with it.

...speaking of the Civlopedia, I guess there are quite a few entries that need to be written.

I might hold off the Civlopedia entries to save time, but I guess that's one of the long-term things to be updated.

Really, this scenario is one of the most addictive that I've ever played. I love it's level of depth and accuracy. The minor problems are pretty trivial compared to how awesome this is!

Hi,

ist it intented that the spy can get no promotion ?
And Sniper can only be seen by other sniper ?

Best regards

Thanks for your help, skyfire!

It looks like, in addition to these files, I need to update MA_Leaderheads_Peida_Text.xml, adding an entry for these leaders.

A bit more involved that I hoped, but I'll work with it.

I might be delayed awhile. This work from home is aggravating my repetitive motion injury (no good ergo at home) so outside of work I'm curtailing a lot of my computer time. :undecide:

Any way, ordered a new chair, hope that will help.

Hi,

so I played now 2 times the 1941 scenario and it is awesome with all the units. But there was no attack of the USA to Europe on both games ? We have been at war all the time. Any idea ?

hi,

another problem - i can not load trhe latest save games. I tried serveral but always the same result. It loads normaly and just before showing the game map the game quits without any warning.

hi,

another problem - i can not load trhe latest save games. I tried serveral but always the same result. It loads normaly and just before showing the game map the game quits without any warning.

The trial version i posted is not savegame compatible. Also if you mod yourself, at some point you cannot load old savegames.

Hi,

so I played now 2 times the 1941 scenario and it is awesome with all the units. But there was no attack of the USA to Europe on both games ? We have been at war all the time. Any idea ?

The attack of USA is a problem. The AI just wont lend a hand. I countered that a bit by making the 1943 map, there the USA an GB are in Itay. As for the other scenarios they wont attack.

...speaking of the Civlopedia, I guess there are quite a few entries that need to be written.

I might hold off the Civlopedia entries to save time, but I guess that's one of the long-term things to be updated.

Really, this scenario is one of the most addictive that I've ever played. I love it's level of depth and accuracy. The minor problems are pretty trivial compared to how awesome this is!

Thank you.

No worries. Take your time :thumbsup::)

I've been back at it. (New chair with better arm support, mouse wrist much better.) Here's where I am:
*All leader portraits converted to .dds format, both but.dds and lh.dds saved
*CIV4LeaderHeadInfos.xml updated
*1914.CivBeyondSwordWBSave updated
*CIV4ArtDefines_Leaderhead.xml updated

Not fully updated:
*MA_Leaderheads_Pedia_Text.xml

After trial and error, fixed some issues I had. Can now choose 1914 scenario, all leader portraits look good for all leaders (although they look a little thin on the lh.dds screen, not the but.dds screen--weird.) However, as soon as I pick a leader and launch, I am defeated! The map never even shows, either.

Know what it might be? I'm assuming something in the 1914.CivBeyondSwordWBSave file, but I don't know.

Last edited:
Yep, I just confirmed that the other scenarios seem to load, but my new 1914 gives me the "You Have Been Defeated!" error upon loading. So something went haywire on that.

I compared the original 1914 file with my edited one on Word, but the only changes were in the leaders, as outlined about.

Yep, I just confirmed that the other scenarios seem to load, but my new 1914 gives me the "You Have Been Defeated!" error upon loading. So something went haywire on that.

I compared the original 1914 file with my edited one on Word, but the only changes were in the leaders, as outlined about.

That usually means there's something in the scenario file that doesn't match with the relevant XML file, so there's likely some sort of typo relating to leaders
Edit: I'd recommend turning on Python exceptions in the configuration text file, it should point you to exactly what's wrong if it's a typo

Last edited:
Top Bottom